IGNORED

Wanted: Assembler Editor Examples

ballyalley

I'm currently using Atari's "Assembler Editor" manual. I'm referring to this one:

assembler_editor_cart.jpg

I have the original manual-- with the correction sheet. Appendix 9 of the manual has four example programs on pages 68-74. I've typed in the first two:

1) EXCLOR - BASIC subroutine to perform an XOR.

2) NOTE - BASIC subroutine to generate notes with controllable attack and decay.

The source code for these two programs was quite short. The next two programs, which are more interesting, are much longer. These programs are called:

3) SPLAY - Puts a pretty display on the screen.

4) Kathy's Color Palette - Puts all 128 colors on the screen.

I've done my best to find these programs on the Internet, but I can't find them. Does anyone have them?

• Like 1

I'm currently using Atari's "Assembler Editor" manual. I'm referring to this one:

assembler_editor_cart.jpg

I have the original manual-- with the correction sheet. Appendix 9 of the manual has four example programs on pages 68-74. I've typed in the first two:

1) EXCLOR - BASIC subroutine to perform an XOR.

2) NOTE - BASIC subroutine to generate notes with controllable attack and decay.

The source code for these two programs was quite short. The next two programs, which are more interesting, are much longer. These programs are called:

3) SPLAY - Puts a pretty display on the screen.

4) Kathy's Color Palette - Puts all 128 colors on the screen.

I've done my best to find these programs on the Internet, but I can't find them. Does anyone have them?

I did SPLAY. You have to load the SPLAY.OBJ, not RUN it. It loads at $600. Then make a little BASIC program:

10 GRAPHICS 19

20 X=USR(1536)

RUN

to see the display.

(Windows 8.1 does funny things. I can use Atari800winplus and use a .ATR, but when I load that .ATR in APE, the files aren't on it.)

So, what I'm saying, if SPLAY7.ASM and SPLAY7.OBJ aren't on this .ATR, then it's messed up.

Dos 2.5.atr

Edited by russg
  • Like 2

No way dude, that's Tony Iommi in 1975, using an early prototype 800 in his hotel room in Long Beach California. He's obviously writing a Bolivian Marching Powder budget program. You can tell by his expression.

Bill Ward had caught the moment perfectly in this famous Atari watercolor wash box cover, cleverly concealing his own identity, by scribbling his pen name on the lower right.

Here's a picture from the gig that night, to prove that it's him. As usual, Ozzy is a bit over-budget... You can tell by his expression... Probably hadn't gotten the errata sheet, and had problems running Tony's code.

BS2168.jpg

• Like 3

No way dude, that's Tony Iommi in 1975, using an early prototype 800 in his hotel room in Long Beach California.

This posting sure is derailed. I guess this must be an inside joke, as I don't understand the humor.

As for the Assembler Editor programs, thanks to "russg" for typing the third example program (SPLAY) into the assembler! I'll check it out today. Anybody have the fourth one around?

This posting sure is derailed. I guess this must be an inside joke, as I don't understand the humor.

As for the Assembler Editor programs, thanks to "russg" for typing the third example program (SPLAY) into the assembler! I'll check it out today. Anybody have the fourth one around?

I did the Kathy's Color Palate one, not with comments, just the code. It makes a screen of rainbows, but I've seen better displays of A8 colors.

Boot the DOS 2.5 atr. Goto DUP (DOS). 'L' KCOLPAL.OBJ, exit to BASIC, RUN "D:KCOLPAL.BAS. Now you should see the color palates.

I've included KCOLPAL.ASM that I ASMbled into the code, no comments.

I included a couple color palate BASIC programs. The TWO56COL.BAS is from ANALOG and I like it best.

EDIT: I see DOS2.5.ATR has gotten corrupted. So, here's a new ATR with all the stuff.

ASMBOOK.atr

Edited by russg

I did the Kathy's Color Palate one, not with comments, just the code. It makes a screen of rainbows, but I've seen better displays of A8 colors.

Boot the DOS 2.5 atr. Goto DUP (DOS). 'L' KCOLPAL.OBJ, exit to BASIC, RUN "D:KCOLPAL.BAS. Now you should see the color palates.

I included a couple color palate BASIC programs. The TWO56COL.BAS is from ANALOG and I like it best.

EDIT: I see DOS2.5.ATR has gotten corrupted. So, here's a new ATR with all the stuff.

I don't see those files on the disk:

post-21021-0-00569200-1412867644_thumb.png

I'm having problems with win 8.1. Win 8.1 knows what I want. I can run as administrator, not as administrator, it knows if I'm in A800WPL or APE. It makes it's own decisions

as to what to copy and what to keep (in a stash someplace.) So, after a bunch of effort, I believe I now have a .ATR with the intended files on it.

I will not be surprised if WIN 8.1 has defeated me again. Sorry for the problems.

(I'm going to download it and see.) Well I did, and APE seems to have the correct files on this .ATR.

ASMEDBK.ATR

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

No way dude, that's Tony Iommi in 1975, using an early prototype 800 in his hotel room in Long Beach California. He's obviously writing a Bolivian Marching Powder budget program. You can tell by his expression.

Bill Ward had caught the moment perfectly in this famous Atari watercolor wash box cover, cleverly concealing his own identity, by scribbling his pen name on the lower right.

Here's a picture from the gig that night, to prove that it's him. As usual, Ozzy is a bit over-budget... You can tell by his expression... Probably hadn't gotten the errata sheet, and had problems running Tony's code.

BS2168.jpg

"Ozzie is over budget" LOL...

Nice post, made me laugh a lot, as seen some may not get the drift..

• Like 1

I like the expression on the guy's face (in the pics above). It's like he's on the verge of going crazy. Which is exactly how I feel when doing anything in assembler. He reminds me of Jack Nicholson in "The Shining". I wonder what he's typing...

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy :)

It makes a screen of rainbows, but I've seen better displays of A8 colors.

The TWO56COL.BAS is from ANALOG and I like it best.

Thanks for typing these programs in; they're all fun. I've included screenshots of both the most colorful programs.

Up first is a screenshot of "Kathy's Color Palette" from the "Assembler Editor" manual:

post-4925-0-46845500-1412891035_thumb.gif

Although I do agree that "Kathy's Color Palette" is limited compared to other programs that show-off the colors of the Atari, it was meant for a CTIA machine (i.e. 128 colors) and the code was probably written to be easy to understand for a beginner.

Here is "Two Fifty-Six" by Grahm L. Potter from "ANALOG Compuing" No. 30 (May 1985):

post-4925-0-23685600-1412891036_thumb.gif

I'm not including a screenshot of the "SPLAY" routine, because that one is animated. A screeenshot would not carry all the information that makes that routine so neat.

Does anyone else have any other neat color program suggestions for me to view that show-off the Atari's color palette? I'd be most interested to see programs from the early 1980s.

Maybe I am confused, which is not out of the realm of possibility, but if you are using the Assembler Editor manual, and I would assume the Assembler Editor cart, why aren't you typing these in yourself? Call me old school, but that was part of the excitement. My kids cannot even fathom the idea of having to type in the source code to a game just to play something. If they knew we did this more than once till we purchased either a cassette drive or disc drive, it would truly make their heads explode. Anyway, if you are trying to learn assembly, type the code in and run it. It's much more intuitive that way. I know it's easy to find code nowadays, but I don't understand the request of having other people type in code for you.

• Like 2

Maybe I am confused, which is not out of the realm of possibility, but if you are using the Assembler Editor manual, and I would assume the Assembler Editor cart, why aren't you typing these in yourself? Call me old school, but that was part of the excitement. My kids cannot even fathom the idea of having to type in the source code to a game just to play something. If they knew we did this more than once till we purchased either a cassette drive or disc drive, it would truly make their heads explode. Anyway, if you are trying to learn assembly, type the code in and run it. It's much more intuitive that way. I know it's easy to find code nowadays, but I don't understand the request of having other people type in code for you.

It's tough to get started with assembly. You gotta have the correct spacing is a major obstacle. I spent my time typing the code, it is a challenge. Maybe the OP will put

my code in ASMED and see the correct spacing. The SPLAY one I did OCR on my printer for the first time. I was pleased with how well it did. I then translated ASCII to ATASCII

and edited out spaces with speedscript. A trip down memory lane. The uncommented Kathy color palate code is easier to see spacing that works.

I think that SPLAY code in the ASMED book was done on a different computer, seemed to be 80 columns or something.

Edited by russg

Quick, get back to Win 7 X64....

I can't go back. However, I updated my laptop to Win 7 32 bit, instead of to Win 8. I recommend win 7 to anyone who asks.

I find 8 slow (I think it was written in C# or some high level language). It is annoying. It takes two or three clicks that used to take one click.

It is hard to navigate, constant swiping the right side to get the tiles display, which is for touch screens.

• Like 1

I can't go back. However, I updated my laptop to Win 7 32 bit, instead of to Win 8. I recommend win 7 to anyone who asks.

I find 8 slow (I think it was written in C# or some high level language). It is annoying. It takes two or three clicks that used to take one click.

It is hard to navigate, constant swiping the right side to get the tiles display, which is for touch screens.

In my group of computer pals I was always the first adopter of a new OS but I never once had the urge to move to Win 8 despite others hoping I would. The limited time I have spent on it annoyed the hell out of me, silly things like menu's hidden away all over the place and as you say the response speed.

Maybe I am confused, [...], but if you are using the Assembler Editor manual, [...] why aren't you typing these in yourself?

There's no confusion and your point is perfectly valid. Typing in the source code is tremendously helpful. I was curious what the manual included for examples. The programs seem to be meant more as a way to learn to use the editor than to teach assembly language. I'm currently making my way through "The Atari Assembler" by Don Inman and Kurt Inman. I suppose that I'm 60% done. I'm using "Programming the 6502 " (3'rd Edition) by Rodnay Zaks for reference. Afterward I plan to revisit BASIC-- for a break, ya know?, and then move on to "Atari Roots." I'm having a grand time playing around with this.

if you are trying to learn assembly, type the code in and run it. It's much more intuitive that way.

Agreed. That's how I picked up on Z80 assembly. Also disassembling the Bally Arcade/Astrocade carts was very helpful too. Maybe there is some small, fun, 2K program that I can try to disassemble and understand. I find that disassembling (and commenting the code) makes me really have to wrap my head around what's going on with a machine.

I don't understand the request of having other people type in code for you.

I didn't expect anyone to type in the source code; that has REALLY surprised me. I expected a disk with the four programs from the "Assembler Editor" manual to be stashed away in some crevice of the Internet and someone would simple post a link to it.

"idavis," you had great question (and comments)-- thanks for asking and posting your thoughts on the subject.

Oh, and it finally dawned on me, all this talk that I've been missing out on is referring to the guy on the cover of the manual. I'm not sure how I overlooked that. Well, now you've all gone and made me feel terrible. That's ME on the cover of the manual. Nah, I wish I was that handsome. ;- )

• Like 1