IGNORED

So I got my Lynx II today...

Stevaside

&I'm already in love with it :) Played Ninja Gaiden III a couple times, can't tell yet if it's a pretty hard game like I hear or it will just take some getting used to haha....Liking this version of Scrapyard Dog too & what they did with it...I nearly beat the 7800 version years ago but couldn't solve the stupid puzzle in time they made as the final boss (By catching a glance at a Youtube video , it appears they fortunately did away with this in the Lynx version & made it ...you know..an actual CHARACTER to face..lol)...California games I haven't really tried yet & I got a couple more titles coming in the mail soon that I'm looking forward too, but....

I've only seen a Lynx in action one time in my life about 10 years ago so I don't really know what to look for....I noticed while playing the games, there seems to be some discoloration...like for example vertical lines rise up to the top of the screen on both sides of the dumpster in Scrapyard Dog, & in between those lines the color of the sky is a little darker...This effect seemed to be on each game on different background items..It's not horribly distracting but is this common? It's the "Reconditioned/Like New" console from Best, it came in a sealed Lynx box, it looks brand new...I was told when ordering that every unit he had previously went through all kinds of testing for screen problems , "burn-in" & it should be fine. :?

Also sometimes it's hard to see what's going on in Ninja Gaiden III, things seem to blend in with the background a bit...No matter how much I adjust the brightness

Edited by Stevaside

Glad you like it, I think you made a good choice going with best. Regarding the lines on the screen and brightness/darkness, that seems on par with most other lynx screens. The lynx's LCD is circa 1988/1989 technology and was among the first color screens. I think it is common to have some ghosting/blur with fast moving sprites, and with the bright backlight, for the light/dark contrast to not be as sharp as you would expect on modern screens. Another interesting quirk I was recently reading about in old technical topics on this forum is that the lynx treats the lcd as 3 separate screens. This helps explain why occasionally one third of the screen might seem brighter or darker than others.

Ninja Gaiden III is a good game that I enjoy, but I think the color palette does make the contrast between sprites and background not as apparent. Of course the color palette is based on the NES version which had a much larger display to work with.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

Glad you like it, I think you made a good choice going with best. Regarding the lines on the screen and brightness/darkness, that seems on par with most other lynx screens. The lynx's LCD is circa 1988/1989 technology and was among the first color screens. I think it is common to have some ghosting/blur with fast moving sprites, and with the bright backlight, for the light/dark contrast to not be as sharp as you would expect on modern screens. Another interesting quirk I was recently reading about in old technical topics on this forum is that the lynx treats the lcd as 3 separate screens. This helps explain why occasionally one third of the screen might seem brighter or darker than others.

Ninja Gaiden III is a good game that I enjoy, but I think the color palette does make the contrast between sprites and background not as apparent. Of course the color palette is based on the NES version which had a much larger display to work with.

Yea something told me what I was seeing was most likely normal & had to do with the technology....It still S#%*S all over the Gameboy's visuals tho :-D It's really an amazing system for the period it came out in..too ahead of it's time!

It took me a LONG time but I beat Ninja Gaiden on the NES when I was like 8 years old lol..I rented the 2nd & vaguely remember playing 3 on the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy cart for Super Nintendo. I just played it a couple more times since my original post & Im doing much better...the feel of the game is starting to come back to me & I think they did a great job at recreating the NES titles with this one ;-) I thought the contrast was due to the game & not my console...Its fine with Scrapyard Dog...Guess it'll just be something I'll get used to over time.

Yes, those lines are unfortunately natural, I have four Lynx 2s and all of them are the same in this regard. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable, other times it's quite distracting (like certain dark scenes in Dracula), but there is not much you can do about it. This is the reason why I look forward so much for the screen mod which is being developed right now by a guy here on this forum ("candle" if I remember right). That would make a WORLD difference. But I still love my Lynx in it's original condition too. At that time this screen was unbelievable. I remember seeing a Gameboy back then is school ( only one kid had one, it was really expensive in Hungary like all other electronic stuff back then), and the whole school was amazed how cool it was. We didn't have anything like the Lynx back then, but my god, if I had seen one as an 8-9 year old kid I wouldn't have believed it :) .

Yes, those lines are unfortunately natural, I have four Lynx 2s and all of them are the same in this regard. Sometimes it's hardly noticeable, other times it's quite distracting (like certain dark scenes in Dracula), but there is not much you can do about it. This is the reason why I look forward so much for the screen mod which is being developed right now by a guy here on this forum ("candle" if I remember right). That would make a WORLD difference. But I still love my Lynx in it's original condition too. At that time this screen was unbelievable. I remember seeing a Gameboy back then is school ( only one kid had one, it was really expensive in Hungary like all other electronic stuff back then), and the whole school was amazed how cool it was. We didn't have anything like the Lynx back then, but my god, if I had seen one as an 8-9 year old kid I wouldn't have believed it :) .

Yea I really confirmed that after I got my next couple batches of games in the mail (Dracula is on it's way actually). I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but it was just weird that a couple are really noticeable, yet other games look fine. I can get past it, it was just unexpected..I LOVE my Lynx already, very glad I finally got one! I remember seeing it in gaming mags when I was a kid & really wanting one. The Gameboy was cool, but I thought it being in B&W was ridiculous & it just made no sense to me that the majority of people still went with it instead of the Lynx.

That mod sounds awesome, I hope that does happen sometime in the near future

Edited by Stevaside

Long overdue for someone to come up with an LCD upgrade service on these. Shame the Lynx has such a crummy screen. I'd have kept my collection if only my favorite games weren't a blurry, washed out mess. Especially Elvira's Pinball. :(

I know there's the TV out option soon, which is awesome! But even better would be a Power Base Converter type adapter for play on the Jag. :love:

Never gonna happen, I know!

• Like 2

Welcome to yet a new obsession. Warning, this WILL cost you $$. But, ain't great? I was wondering if the other classic computer/gaming systems (Commodore, etc.) have the same loyal following 30 years after releasing their systems. I think Vectrex has that following.

haha yep..I think I'm going to pause collecting after I acquire 30 games [And picking up Hot Dog when it gets re-released]...... do a little more collecting for some other consoles, then come back around again to the Lynx & gradually build it up some more....I've been having alot of fun playing it & once I get a battery charger I plan to take it on the road with me a little too haha

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if the other classic computer/gaming systems (Commodore, etc.) have the same loyal following 30 years after releasing their systems.

Most definitely, there's a site called Lemon64 where people are still gaga over Jack Tramiel's baby.

But back on topic, welcome to the wonderful world of Lynx! Hope you can score many more classic titles and a copy of the '91 catalog. Cal Games has a steep learning curve at first, but it's fun once you get the hang of it. I *will* beat Bill & Ted someday!

Buttertweet. Good to know others are loyal. I love this hobby. My wife hates it, does not understand it. I am not too sure I understand it. I am not the best game player, by far. But, Atari, Lynx, all the systems have caught me in its grip. I love all things Atari. I have several 8-bits (with all the trimmings), several 7800s, several 2600s, Lynx I & IIs, 89 games for the Lynx. I have most the boxes and manuals. I even have several Portfolios. Crazy, isn't it? Obsession. Where, when will it stop?

• Like 1

Shortly after my older posts here I managed to build a collection of 30 games & the lovely Lynx Kit Case to store everything including my charger & batteries . Then a month back I picked up a PS4 too & although at the moment I have to confess my older consoles haven't been getting as much attention...My Lynx is still getting plenty of action! lol..Currently focusing on trying to beat Ninja Gaiden (original) & getting further in APB (Both frustating titles I can't put down :D )....Starting to bring it with me on trips & have been enjoying sitting outside with it in this slightly cool Florida weather were getting too.

I started collecting around 1997 & now have all 7800 games aside from Tank Command & Mean 18 + the Super Pacman homebrew...as well as close to 200 2600 carts...Atari will always have a place in my heart tho & even tho I've gotten back into modern gaming recently, I will always go back to it sometimes...Especially my 7800. Out of all eras , it just has the highest levels of nostalgia to me ;-)

& BTW the Lynx has a nostalgia factor too, but it's memories of sitting in class fascinated by the stuff I saw in EGM & Gamepro, desperately wishing I could have one & wondering why so many more ppl wanted the inferior Gameboy lol........................now over 2 decades later...........haha

Edited by Stevaside