IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

• 4 months later...

I just found an NEC Accusync LCD51V at a rummage sale. It synced down to 15khz using both NTSC & PAL on my Amiga 1200.

I don't have a custom DIN to VGA cable for the ST yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with it. Atari ST's have seperate H & V sync?

Edited by firebottle

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah medium res isn't perfect, it seems to interpret it as a 640 pixel wide signal wheras the ST display is 640 pixels + the overscan area. Low and high are the only two resolutions I use though, and with a bit of cable soldering the monitor should support high just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When using a Best VGA cable, I can verify the NEC LCD1970NX supports all three resolutions nicely on my 1040STE. Unfortunately, the earlier mentioned Mitsubishi E85LCD (Same panel?) only handles high resolution. The Mitsu does have a neat secondary VGA input which should work nicely with another Best cable, an Ambery box and a VGA switch for providing the low & medium resolutions. But unless I've missed something, it does not natively support all three resolutions like its NEC cousin.

Hi,

1970NX owners, did you see this: http://archive.espec.ws/files/NEC%201970NX.pdfon page 4-5 - SERVICE MENU? :D

In service menu you can adjust numerous parameters! On page 4-9 is eplanation how to fine adjust composite signal... I still did not try this options but I hope that I can adjust Nec 1970NX to display entire Amiga screen!

By default Nec 1970NX cut around 16 lines when displaying Amiga 15KHz signal...

post-25488-0-92983000-1449838350_thumb.jpeg

post-25488-0-26929800-1449838360_thumb.jpeg

When using a Best VGA cable, I can verify the NEC LCD1970NX supports all three resolutions nicely on my 1040STE. Unfortunately, the earlier mentioned Mitsubishi E85LCD (Same panel?) only handles high resolution. The Mitsu does have a neat secondary VGA input which should work nicely with another Best cable, an Ambery box and a VGA switch for providing the low & medium resolutions. But unless I've missed something, it does not natively support all three resolutions like its NEC cousin.

When you run in medium resolution in a game do you see strong vertical color bands with non primary colors? I do and it borders on the unusable.

In tos I don't see it because the green displays fine. Certain colors create a banding effect that can be modulates by the fine adjustment but not eliminated.

Edited by ryoder

I'm wondering if perhaps I should have gotten one of these instead of the Dell 2001FP, though it does work rather well so far I've only tested it out on my 1040STf, and it has (I think) other problems with it's video. Pretty sure at one point I found a loose capacitor in the machine, and even on a SC1224 it was flickering in random spots, but now I have no idea where it was.

I posted about this in another thread anyhow, so don't want to double post here. Tempted to get one of these NEC's anyhow, to see if I like it as much as the Dell.

I'm wondering if perhaps I should have gotten one of these instead of the Dell 2001FP, though it does work rather well so far I've only tested it out on my 1040STf, and it has (I think) other problems with it's video. Pretty sure at one point I found a loose capacitor in the machine, and even on a SC1224 it was flickering in random spots, but now I have no idea where it was.

I posted about this in another thread anyhow, so don't want to double post here. Tempted to get one of these NEC's anyhow, to see if I like it as much as the Dell.

If you get NEC 1970 please let us know how it perform in compare to Dell 2001FP! :)

and here is video of NEC 1970 NXp:

This video show Atari Falcon030 computer set in RGB mode (15KHz) showing picture on Commodore 1084S monitor and in same time on NEC 1970NXp since NEC support 15KHz input signal (I used ordinary VGA cable, I just disconnect PIN 19 (M0) for detecting VGA display)!

Sorry for shaky video; I recorded it from hand with iPhone.

Desktop is set to 786x480 pixel (overscan mode). As I change resolution on Falcon desktop you will see that NEC adjust it's own resolution but it will manage to show every Falcon 15KHz desktop resolution.

You will also see demo "Joint Venture" running on both monitors (starts at 2:00) in parallel so you can see difference between proper RGB monitor such is Commodore 1084S and LCD Nec. I choose demo "Joint Venture" because there is lot of screens with custom Videl resolutions. Nec show all screens almost perfectly except few screen not being centred (3D tunel, still images...) and screen "RELITY.SYS CORRUPTED" does not have fade effect (?!? how this is even possible? :D). Otherwise, NEC is almost perfect: colors on this PVA pannel are great! Black is also great (but there is light bleeding, visible in dark, but I do not mind). Resolution changing is very fast, there is no annoying messages from monitor about wrong resolution... Picture control are also good, monitor save setting for every resolution. Only thing that is missing is maybe "smoothing" option, for smearing pixels in low resolution. Some EIZO monitor has it, but I see that Amiga people complain that on EIZO monitor you can not turn off monitor message about wrong resolution in 15KHz mode...

Hope you enjoyed, I will release few more video of NEC 1970NXp in 15KHz mode. btw, VGA mode on Falcon is flawless!

• Like 2