IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

Looks like I'm the only one with jailbars with the Best cable.

I had jailbars on my Genesis until I got a new cable with "boosted sync" from retro console accessories. The jailbars are still there but are so minor as to be no longer a factor.

They are so annoying on the ST that I don't enjoy gaming with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, medium res is fine as expected, the monitor doesn't know the difference between ST low and medium, sees both as 640x240. Looks better if the image is stretched a bit wider horizontally though.

Attached is the brochure for the NEC 70 series monitors, and the manual for the monitor I have. There is no mention of being able to support 640x240 or the horizontal or vertical refresh rates.

I wonder if other monitors in this series have this ability to support the ST too, the full series is: LCD1570NX, LCD1770VX, LCD1770NX, LCD1770NXM, LCD1970VX, LCD1970NX, LCD2070VX, LCD2070NX, LCD2070WNX, LCD2170NX, LCD2470WVX, LCD2470WNX.

Here's the info display on the monitor in 50 and 60 Hz mode, which contradicts the manuals:

attachicon.gif1970VX50Hz.jpg attachicon.gif1970VX60Hz.jpg

Just tried an NEC MultiSync LCD2070WNX - no go at all whatsoever.

Use the best cable myself. Looks awesome and loving the 1970VX!!

Looks nice! My custom made cable works a treat but I strangely get vertical marks (like scratches) whenever the computer is doing something that pushes it. During a game and certainly most demos show it! A bit annoying but just wondered if others get similar?

I also get the vertical jailbars in ST High. Heck, that's also something I can live with!

So long as I'm able to enjoy my STe again ;)

I also get the vertical jailbars in ST High. Heck, that's also something I can live with!

Do you get those on the ST's desktop? If so, that's likely an interference pattern which can be minimised or reduced with the hoeizontal size setting. Or open and expand a window- the desktop will so more interference than a typical program.

Looks like I'm the only one with jailbars with the Best cable.

I had jailbars on my Genesis until I got a new cable with "boosted sync" from retro console accessories. The jailbars are still there but are so minor as to be no longer a factor.

They are so annoying on the ST that I don't enjoy gaming with them.

I do get jail-bars with the best cable, but they are so minor that I can more or less ignore them no problem. Still, I would be interested in "boosted sync" cable one day if one becomes available.

• Like 1

Update. The Genesis cable is awesome but while moving the hdmi converter smoothes the picture and then it snaps back to clear when movement stops. The picture also darkens just a bit. I just ordered a scart to component converter to see if it helps. I think it will do less processing and might not have these nasty effects.

Also ordered an adapter for my A600 to see how it works on the LCD.

If thst doesn't work I'll pick up an Individision ECS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for 1970VX and Best cable.

Cable just arrived today (just 3-days to deliver from West coast to East coast - thanks Brad!) and the 1970VX handles all resolutions really well. Quality of the cable is very high.

Low-resolution is sharp and colorful. Medium loses some definition like others have mentioned here, but with the right screen font it is perfectly serviceable.

High resolution has very good fidelity. Don't see any loss of detail there. I am getting no jailbars (STe) so am happy about that, (*edit* After experimenting a bit I can seem to get some jailbars in High if I set the background to a certain hatch pattern, but I am not sure if that is just an illusion of the pattern or the monitor. I don't get them otherwise so I tend to think it is the pattern itself. Easy solution: I don't use that hatch pattern :-D ).

Thanks to all for recommending the cable. It's a good purchase. The quality of the Hi/Lo(Med) switch is especially nice as it seems very sturdy. I think it will last a long time.

I have a 1550M I'm going to try next. It's a smaller monitor but has speakers built-in.

One question I'm not sure if it has been asked before, but can the 1970VX's "optimal resolution is 1280x1024" pop-up message be turned off somehow? It only takes one button press to clear, but it would be nice just to turn it off.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

Found the option to turn off the "Optimal Resolution" message so that is good. The 1550M has similar firmware and it's message can be turned off also.

Hooked up the 1550M. It works great in Hi. But for Med and Lo I would say the 1970VX is better due to the fact that the 1550M has quite large borders in comparison.

I mean the picture is good and it does work in all 3 resolutions, but the effective perceived screen area utilized is smaller compared to the 1970VX due to the larger borders.

And since the 1550M is a smaller monitor to begin with I would definitely pick the 1970VX given the choice of the two.

There are some adjustments available from the menu so the screen can be stretched and moved somewhat but I still prefer the 1970VX.

However, the 1550M does include built-in speakers so that could be a positive if desk space was limited.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got the NEC 1970vx and the Best cable. Working ok, but the scaler is not too good. Seems to stretch the screen. Low res looks good, but med res is hard. Adjusting the H SIZE helps a little. What are the best settings to use? Also, on VGA mode I cannot get it clear and white. I get interference (noise) and the color looks yellowing/dim.

Just got a 1970vx today,my ste looks OK lots of vertical lines in high res, however the mega ste looks awful, lines in all res kinda pixelated. Using a new BEST cable. Regular non mega ste has a new Best power supply, mega is a fresh ebay purchase so I need to check it with a real st monitor to see if the mega is the issue. Any suggestions for 1970vx adjustments are welcome if you think it will help.

Edited by atarian63