IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

both of you, tjlazer and atarian63, look at my post

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230561-lcd-monitor-that-supports-st-low-res-nec-multisync-lcd-1970vx/page-6?do=findComment&comment=3423966

there you will find image for perfectly adjusting Nec 1970.

Load that image on Atari and than using monitors adjustment, make every line perfectly visible.

• Like 1

both of you, tjlazer and atarian63, look at my post

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230561-lcd-monitor-that-supports-st-low-res-nec-multisync-lcd-1970vx/page-6?do=findComment&comment=3423966

there you will find image for perfectly adjusting Nec 1970.

Load that image on Atari and than using monitors adjustment, make every line perfectly visible.

Thank you will try it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This monitor comes pretty close to a real SM124/5, and does colour too, in a much smaller space. It also has that nice LCD perfect flat and squareness, which the old CRT monitors obviously can't match.

I've seen LCD monitors handle high res before, but never ST low res. Incidentally my NEC MultiSync 1940CX can handle ST high but not ST low.

From the manual for the 1970VX it shouldn't be able to handle 15kHz nor 50Hz, but it does:
  • Synchronization Range
    • Horizontal: 31.5 kHz to 81.1 kHz
    • Vertical: 56.0 Hz to 75.0 Hz

That is awesome. You've solved the multiple monitor issue. What would be really cool would be a box with a VGA port on one end and the wires for the Atari ST coming out the other end.

.... and then I noticed that some of you have already done just that. ;-)

Edited by Nebulon
  • Like 1

Just want to report that NEC Accusync LCD71V works with both Atari and Amiga.

There is a seller on ebay who has Old New Stock. I purchase two from them for under $40 each shipped. Both came in mint condition.

They first sent me 72V as the pallet was not sorted. They assumed all 40 on pallet were 71v models. They took the listing down to sort the pallet but should be back up soon.

If you are looking for a LCD that works with ST then I would suggest emailing them about 71v models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201567007212?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-44952-0-71174200-1463850041_thumb.jpg

Edited by goaltoss
  • Like 1

Just want to report that NEC Accusync LCD71V works with both Atari and Amiga.

There is a seller on ebay who has Old New Stock. I purchase two from them for under $40 each shipped. Both came in mint condition.

They first sent me 72V as the pallet was not sorted. They assumed all 40 on pallet were 71v models. They took the listing down to sort the pallet but should be back up soon.

If you are looking for a LCD that works with ST then I would suggest emailing them about 71v models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201567007212?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the report...so did you try the 72V out just to see if it worked? Just curious - How did you know the 71V would work to begin with?

Thanks for the report...so did you try the 72V out just to see if it worked? Just curious - How did you know the 71V would work to begin with?

I did try the 72v model's and they didn't work. I would only get an error msg about sync and resolution on the screen.

The 71v modes worked with out an changes to the settings. Simple plug and play.

I saw a photo of an Amiga running on a v71 model. Not sure where the original source is from but when i saw them on ebay NIB for under $40 shipped I figured it was worth a shot. If it didn't work on the Atari I at least knew it would work on the Amiga.

I tried looking for the other models mentioned in the tread here and most on ebay were either with out a stand, horrible shape or asking way to much money for them. So I googled amiga atari lcd and did a photo search.

I did try the 72v model's and they didn't work. I would only get an error msg about sync and resolution on the screen.

The 71v modes worked with out an changes to the settings. Simple plug and play.

I saw a photo of an Amiga running on a v71 model. Not sure where the original source is from but when i saw them on ebay NIB for under $40 shipped I figured it was worth a shot. If it didn't work on the Atari I at least knew it would work on the Amiga.

I tried looking for the other models mentioned in the tread here and most on ebay were either with out a stand, horrible shape or asking way to much money for them. So I googled amiga atari lcd and did a photo search.

Cool, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one. I like to compare them all.

My current favorite is the NEC EA190M since it is 19" and has built in speakers. Works with all ST modes 50/60Hz.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one. I like to compare them all.

My current favorite is the NEC EA190M since it is 19" and has built in speakers. Works with all ST modes 50/60Hz.

I picked up this monitor from Ebay and a cable (with audio) from CoolNovelties.

My 1040STE's display looks good having used the easy controls on the monitor's menu to size it correctly.

When you say "all ST modes" does that include Hi-res? Would that require a different cable as that option is disabled on the 'Set Preferences' dialog?

When you say "all ST modes" does that include Hi-res? Would that require a different cable as that option is disabled on the 'Set Preferences' dialog?

Yes, the great thing about these multisync LCD monitors is that they do both low and high resolution (and a usable in emergencies version of medium).

The old ST mono monitors ground a 'mono detect' pin on the monitor port when they ate plugged in. The ST boots into low (or medium if the desktop has been saved in that res) 50/60Hz or high 72Hz depending on the state of that pin. Plugging or unplugging a mono monitor reboots the ST. In high resolution the 'low and medium' options are greyed out in 'set preferences'.

If you go back to the start of this thread there's an example of a cable that does both High and Low/Medium. Best Electronics sells a similar cable. It uses a switch instead of plugging/un-plugging the mono monitor.

I picked up this monitor from Ebay and a cable (with audio) from CoolNovelties.

My 1040STE's display looks good having used the easy controls on the monitor's menu to size it correctly.

Right, I use the Best Electronics cable: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm

SO I am looking at a HP LP2475W and this has VGA COMPONENT(RGB) and Svideo input.

SO this thread has been about getting the ST to work with these monitors through the VGA.. What about Component input?

OR for this monitor specifically if it has these other inputs it would assume it could handle lower resolutions? specs show

Signal Interface/Performance
Signal Interface/Performance
Horizontal Frequency
30 to 94 kHz
Vertical Frequency
48 to 85 Hz
Native Resolution
1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz (WUXGA), 1.76 million pixels

Opinions?

James

I really need to get my cable together, I got the monitor (sans stand, but I have some vesa mounts I'll probably use). I love the paint idea I might have to do that before Atari Party 2015.

I don't remember seeing it at the Davis Atari Party 2015…any chance it'll be ready for the 2016 Party at the end of July? :)

I don't remember seeing it at the Davis Atari Party 2015…any chance it'll be ready for the 2016 Party at the end of July? :)

I am bringing my STe with Best Cable (because I was too lazy to make my own) and NEC 1970VX.

The problem is it turns out the NEC was dropped, there's a crack in the LCD glass right in the middle. It still works mostly, but when black is displayed you can see where the damage occurred. I was debating trying to buy another monitor before the party, but money is tight. I might just bring my ST monitor as a backup. I'm probably going to run Gauntlet 2 and other 4P games as well as some Sierra games.

At any rate, I am planning to attend the party this year, hopfully will see you there.

-A.

• Like 1

SO I am looking at a HP LP2475W and this has VGA COMPONENT(RGB) and Svideo input.

SO this thread has been about getting the ST to work with these monitors through the VGA.. What about Component input?

Horizontal Frequency
30 to 94 kHz

Component is not RGB. Using component input would require an RGB to component conversion box. I doubt that this would allow the monitor to work in a resolution that isn't available over RGB/VGA though. S-video would again require conversion as the ST only ouputs RGB, and RF & composite if it has a modulator.

30kHz horizontal is not low enough; needs to go down to 15kHz for low/medium res. There's a chance that it works with high res. There's also a chance that the specs are wrong as they are with the NEC 1970.

If you get a video converter by someone like Extron or a Micomsoft XRGB (or one of the cheaper options such as Gonbes and various SCART to HDMI boxes) then you can use any modern monitor with the ST, which is probably the way to go.

In general if you pick a random monitor that isn't listed on (nor part of the same series) the Wiki page shown above, and that doesn't list 15kHz horizontal in its specs, then the chances are very very slim that it will work with the ST's low res without some conversion hardware.

• 2 months later...

Sooo I'm getting tire of jailbars and want to eliminate the altogether.

There is is much information out there I'm not sure how the jailbars even show up?

Is it because we use csync and plug that it h- and v-sync? Or not enough power on the csync lines/?

I have some LM1881s. Can I use these somehow to get rid of those dang jailbars?

Thanks,

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

Here are some pcitures:

Blue DOS screen has worst jailbars:

IMG_20160902_224303923.jpgIMG_20160905_014017556.jpg

You can see he jailbars near the top. They are worse than they look in this picture due to my camera. but they definitely can be seen on the top part. IRL they cover the wholes screen.

if I run a game they semm to go away for the most part.

IMG_20160905_013941661.jpgIMG_20160905_014000820.jpg

How to get rid to the jailbars and anyone know if my colors are correct? I don't have any resistors inline with RGB signals. It is just the ouput from VBXE.

P.S. I know this is 8=bit but I get the same from my ST too.

So I sat down today and built this circuit to feed the syncs into my EA190M monitor: (Hsync got fed the composite sync, Vsync got the Vsync output).

lm1881.png

Didn't change a thing; still had jailbars. :( Do I need to add some resistance on the RGB lines? I'm still not sure what causes these bars.

*Edit* Ran the output through a GBS8220 v5 and the results are much improved. It looks really nice now and I'm going to keep this combination.

Anyone have any good enclosures for the GBS?