IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

I just found that I already owned a NEC Multisync LCD 1560NX (ya, call me a hoarder if you want). From the specs, it looks like it should work. Anyone try this model before?

I already have the Best Electronics cable, but it is in storage. Don't really want to go there, dig through boxes, etc. if it isn't a good match.

Your help is appreciated!

I just found that I already owned a NEC Multisync LCD 1560NX (ya, call me a hoarder if you want). From the specs, it looks like it should work. Anyone try this model before?

I already have the Best Electronics cable, but it is in storage. Don't really want to go there, dig through boxes, etc. if it isn't a good match.

Your help is appreciated!

It works. I own and NX. The only difference between it and the VX, as far as I know, is the NX has a better contrast ratio.

CORRECTION: I read over this too quickly. I thought you were talking about the 1970NX.

Edited by vizfizz

So I sat down today and built this circuit to feed the syncs into my EA190M monitor: (Hsync got fed the composite sync, Vsync got the Vsync output).

lm1881.png

Didn't change a thing; still had jailbars. :( Do I need to add some resistance on the RGB lines? I'm still not sure what causes these bars.

*Edit* Ran the output through a GBS8220 v5 and the results are much improved. It looks really nice now and I'm going to keep this combination.

Anyone have any good enclosures for the GBS?

But I dont understand.. if you had the GBS8220.. which you seem to like.. they you didnt need a monitor that sync to 15khz at all.. the GBS8220 will do that for you.

SO are you saying that the output from the GBS8220 is better than the straight output from the EA190M?

Do you run the GBS8220 on a different monitor? to compare?

Point I am making .. maybe the GBS8220 is a better investment in the money than finding a monitor?

James

But I dont understand.. if you had the GBS8220.. which you seem to like.. they you didnt need a monitor that sync to 15khz at all.. the GBS8220 will do that for you.

SO are you saying that the output from the GBS8220 is better than the straight output from the EA190M?

Do you run the GBS8220 on a different monitor? to compare?

Point I am making .. maybe the GBS8220 is a better investment in the money than finding a monitor?

James

My point is I don't know what causes the jailbars, but running the VBXE output through the GBS8220 v5 makes a nice picture. The LM1881 circuit did not work for me.

I would like to be able to put a circuit on the 130XE case and eliminate the GBS8220, but don't know if that is possible.

Keep in mind this is for the 8-bit Atari, not the ST. My STe with Best cable works good without the GBS8220. I don't know if it is possible to get good LCD output on an 8-bit without a GBS8220 or scan doubler.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

• 1 month later...

I've been using a NEC 1970VX with multisync cable on my ST and have been loving being able to get all three resolutions on one monitor.

I just picked up NEC EA190M, thinking it might be better due to the built-in speakers.

In my opinion, the 1970VX has far superior picture. It is less blurry and the colours are more vibrant. The EA190M just doesn't look as as good. The built in speakers are good but the lowest volume setting isn't that quiet.

I've posted screenshots below which don't show the differences as well as the naked eye, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd show this for anyone considering taking the plunge with one or the other.

post-39857-0-72638400-1476139246_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Could you add it to this list, along with which graphics modes you tried etc.? http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays

Just want to report that NEC Accusync LCD71V works with both Atari and Amiga.

There is a seller on ebay who has Old New Stock. I purchase two from them for under $40 each shipped. Both came in mint condition.

They first sent me 72V as the pallet was not sorted. They assumed all 40 on pallet were 71v models. They took the listing down to sort the pallet but should be back up soon.

If you are looking for a LCD that works with ST then I would suggest emailing them about 71v models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201567007212?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I picked one of these up on eBay and it wouldn't sync to my MegaSTE, 1040STf or Amiga 500. It says it's a revision 1G, so I wonder if different versions don't work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been using a NEC 1970VX with multisync cable on my ST and have been loving being able to get all three resolutions on one monitor.

I just picked up NEC EA190M, thinking it might be better due to the built-in speakers.

In my opinion, the 1970VX has far superior picture. It is less blurry and the colours are more vibrant. The EA190M just doesn't look as as good. The built in speakers are good but the lowest volume setting isn't that quiet.

I've posted screenshots below which don't show the differences as well as the naked eye, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd show this for anyone considering taking the plunge with one or the other.

attachicon.gifall.png

Thanks for the tip on the NEC EA190M I've just got one, It's better on my eyes, plus the big screen is Awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

I also received an NEC Accusync LCD72V from a seller who mis-labelled their eBay auctions and can confirm that it does NOT work with the low 15Khz sync signal. Bummer! Make sure to have the seller double check the model # on the actual unit (and don't be like me). What a waste of money and shipping.

• 1 year later...

I hate to revive such an old thread, but it deserves to be near the top anyway, if not stickied.

I was thrilled to find this thread! I found what I hope is a decent NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX for $53 shipped on ebay. I really didn't want a third LCD on my desk, but I have been dying to get my 1040STF retr0brighted and cleaned up and out of the attic. Now to order a Best Electronics VGA cable.

Edited by bfollowell

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've already revived a two-year-old thread, so I might as well add to it.

I finally got my STf up and running on my "new" NEC LCD1970VX! It does all three resolutions and I think it looks decent. It's the first time I've ever seen Atari ST monochrome on anything other than an emulator, so that was kind of cool.

To me, the low and high resolutions look much better than the medium. The unavbailable, grayed out menu text looks really bad, I figure I'll likely be using low and high resolutions more than medium, with low probably being used the most, so I'm not overly concerned.

The monitor has an auto width adjustment, and the high resolution adjusts to take up most of the screen. The low and medium resolutions seem to be more squared off than I remember, so I may have to check against a real SC1224 to verify, but maybe this aspect ratio is normal.

post-39087-0-80922300-1541942159_thumb.jpg

post-39087-0-48904100-1541942166_thumb.jpg

post-39087-0-83605900-1541942178_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've already revived a two-year-old thread, so I might as well add to it.

I finally got my STf up and running on my "new" NEC LCD1970VX! It does all three resolutions and I think it looks decent. It's the first time I've ever seen Atari ST monochrome on anything other than an emulator, so that was kind of cool.

To me, the low and high resolutions look much better than the medium. The unavbailable, grayed out menu text looks really bad, I figure I'll likely be using low and high resolutions more than medium, with low probably being used the most, so I'm not overly concerned.

The monitor has an auto width adjustment, and the high resolution adjusts to take up most of the screen. The low and medium resolutions seem to be more squared off than I remember, so I may have to check against a real SC1224 to verify, but maybe this aspect ratio is normal.

What cable are you using?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I’m aware this thread is now a little old but fwiw, here are my settings and screenshots on NEC 1970NX using a home made cable. These settings work fine on low and med res. I found out that adjusting Fine setting between 53 and 59 is necessary depending on app that is running.  

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

• 4 weeks later...