IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

Awesome, just found one of the monitors listed in the thread, online not to far away... :) picking it up tomorrow... and I will make the cable this week :)

i have 2 13 pin Din males i can use... so that will allow me to make up two cables if I get lucky enough to find another one...

Cheers guys, this is great... i have 6 atari ST's and only 3 monitors... (124, 125,1224) i have a vga that works with monchrome already ( I wonder if it will work with low res? ) the high res looks like the picture above with the vertical banding, but when i hit auto adjust, it looks great... i wonder if that means the low res will work? i will have to make a cable and see... :)

thanks again :)

Edited by Waltermixxx

Awesome, just found one of the monitors listed in the thread, online not to far away... :) picking it up tomorrow... and I will make the cable this week :)

i have 2 13 pin Din males i can use... so that will allow me to make up two cables if I get lucky enough to find another one...

Cheers guys, this is great... i have 6 atari ST's and only 3 monitors... (124, 125,1224) i have a vga that works with monchrome already ( I wonder if it will work with low res? ) the high res looks like the picture above with the vertical banding, but when i hit auto adjust, it looks great... i wonder if that means the low res will work? i will have to make a cable and see... :)

thanks again :)

here is the Dell 1703FPt with the mono cable I built a while back... it looks good... I'm wondering if colour would look just as good? at least low res? I will have to build a cable and see... i will still pick up the other monitor, as it does not hurt to have a few of these around... if it does work, i may change this mono cable into a multi cable... :)

16367026765_f3abe57aae_o.jpg

Edited by Waltermixxx

I think ST mono works on almost any VGA monitor. You'll need a multisync that supports lower frequencies for low res to work though.

Worth a try though - the more monitors that do support ST low that we can list here, the better!

I think you are right... my dell did not work with my atari rgb to vga cable... R(1) to R(7), G(2) to G(6), B(3) to B(10), Gnd (5,6,7,8,9,10) to Gnd(13), Hsync(13) to Hsync(9), Vsync(14) to Vsync(12)....

oh well, hopefully when I pick up that NEC 1970nx monitor others have used it will work... :)

Cheers folks and wish me luck... :)

Well I picked up my NEC 1970nx multisync monitor...

for an LCD screen it's surprisingly heavy... :) but lighter and easier to carry than a 1224 colour monitor at only 14" :)

thanks for the hints folks... tonight when i get home i will try it out...

and if it works... i will then try and install my STE IDE interface and MMC card... fingers crossed... :)

now that I think of it, i may bask in the glow of low res graphics for a week or so first, then try the ide interface. :)

Cheers and I will report in later. :)

Well the good news is, the monitor ( NEC 1970nx ) works great in low res, and even medium res looks pretty good as well, with the correct adjustments, it can look pretty good:

instead of attaching all the pics, here is a link to the flickr folder with the pics in it... :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66577016@N00/sets/72157650088133410/

Cheers. :)

Edited by Waltermixxx
  • Like 1

A guy called Troed saw my Facebook post about this, and found a DELL monitor that works too:

Thanks for the inspiration. We can add the Dell 2001FP to this list - also a 31-80kHz scanner according to the manual, however, since it has composite and S-Video connectors I (thanks to your post) got the idea to test whether it'd do 15kHz via the VGA connector as well. I already knew it supported ST hi.

post-39360-0-32390200-1413057001.jpg

I'm picking up one of these this evening... :) hoping it works as well :)

Edited by Waltermixxx

Sadness, just blew $50.00 for nothing... HiRes works but not low, or medium res on this monitor...

i will try it with my Amiga which is Pal, i just noticed that the picture above indicates PAL... :)

Tried it with my PAL A1200 and it works fine with multisync mode.

but for some reason, (ok I know the reason) it wont work with Low or Med. res on Atari... hires does look great. :)

Edited by Waltermixxx

Sadness, just blew $50.00 for nothing... HiRes works but not low, or medium res on this monitor...

i will try it with my Amiga which is Pal, i just noticed that the picture above indicates PAL... :)

Tried it with my PAL A1200 and it works fine with multisync mode.

but for some reason, (ok I know the reason) it wont work with Low or Med. res on Atari... hires does look great. :)

Your ST(E) is apparently NTSC. But you may try what happens if set it to 50 Hz refresh rate. There will be no color most likely, but possible that then low/med res will work. And maybe worth to try with RGB connection if not already - then will be color :)

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

Has anybody had a chance to try any of these monitors with an 8 bit vbxe non vga core output?

I just purchased the multisync cable from best to try with an NEC 1970vx.

Hope to he able to report back later this weekend. If I get a chance I will try vbxe too and see what happens.

Robert

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1

I can report that the BEST ELECTRONICS Cable CB102582-6 2nd does work very well. I have a Nec 1970vx Multisync and tested the monitor with my ATARI STE, I am able to view all three modes with pretty clear results. When switching each mode, I used the Auto Contrast and the Auto Adjust. I am very happy with the resuts.

I planned to connect my Atari 8bit, VBXE out put but I need another adapter, as my vbxe is using the 9 pin ega connector. I ordered a ega to vga adapter and I will update after I am abe to try it out.

Best Regards

Robert

Well the good news is, the monitor ( NEC 1970nx ) works great in low res, and even medium res looks pretty good as well, with the correct adjustments, it can look pretty good:

instead of attaching all the pics, here is a link to the flickr folder with the pics in it... :)

Where did you buy the VGA adapter board from?

Most of the monitors listed in this thread are working being connected directly into the Atari ST Monitor Output. The OP found that the NEC Multisync 1970vx monitor would sync down to 15khz. The Specs from NEC did not list he ability to sync down that low. Others have found the NEC 1970nx is the same monitor as the vx, but also has an USB hub built in. I think the NEC 1550 and another Dell monitor was also found to sync down to 15khz contrary to their documentation.

Robert

It's a vga break out baord... originally designed to be used with parallax propeller Chip. :)

i think a lot of hobby electronic stores will seel "vga break out board"

http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=42.0

not sure if they still sell them...

but you should be able to find something similar on ebay?

:)

Most of the monitors listed in this thread are working being connected directly into the Atari ST Monitor Output. The OP found that the NEC Multisync 1970vx monitor would sync down to 15khz. The Specs from NEC did not list he ability to sync down that low. Others have found the NEC 1970nx is the same monitor as the vx, but also has an USB hub built in. I think the NEC 1550 and another Dell monitor was also found to sync down to 15khz contrary to their documentation.

Robert

I was referring to his breakout board in his photo album

It's a vga break out baord... originally designed to be used with parallax propeller Chip. :)

i think a lot of hobby electronic stores will seel "vga break out board"

http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=42.0

not sure if they still sell them...

but you should be able to find something similar on ebay?

:)

Cool thanks, looks like they dont sell them anymore.

I have a few similar boards Ive used to hook to a few rgb monitors that didnt have standardized pinouts but this one just caught my eye since I had never seen it