IGNORED

LCD Monitor that supports ST Low Res! NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX

galax

• 2 weeks later...

hm... that is not case with my Nec1970.

But maybe it will be visible in games... I just run demos on Nec so far, not games. I must try Civilization ....

I have two 1970VX monitors and haven't seen any jail bars on either of them, lots of photos on page 1 of this thread. One of my STs gives a few strange other video artifacts though, with the same cable and monitor that works perfectly with other STs. My thought was that some of the video generating components are probably aging.

Edited by galax

Hello guys,

I've just got myself a VGA cable / BenQ BL702A which is listed on the Atari Wiki page as compatible.

http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Multisync_flatscreens

Well, all is fine and it works lovely in ST High on my Mega STe. So all good.

Now I'm wondering just how do I make it work in ST Low (not bothered about Medium res). I've read the techie comments above but I'm not very technically minded with hardware, wiring, soldering, etc. Well, I'm more like zero on this subject so I'm a bit confused to say the least... Just what exactly do I need in order to make it work in ST Low?

Go easy - plain English replies please! ;-)

Thanks, Steve.

Well, umm quite easy but not for me hehe. I've got the VGA cable already and it's all working in ST High res fine. A good friend tells me to simply disconnect the wire inside the cable which is for mono. So I'm thinking of going down that route!

This is the cable I bought : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390236060251?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Of course, I have a VGA extension cable from that into the monitor... It's only an extension cable so I'm thinking of cutting that open. If I break it (which I probably will!!) then I'll grab another I have spare. But I don't really understand the pin layouts, so I'll take a longer look at the link there above. Gotta get my BenQ BL702A running in ST Low ... Thanks :-)

at link http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/interfaces.php#vga_color_cableyou have two section:

VGA Monochrome Cable

VGA Color Cable

key difference is if pin number 4 (called "Monochrome Detect" on DIN13 connector) is grounded or not (this will decide if ST will but in Mono 640x400 or Color 320x200 resolution).

Grounded means if pin is connected to "ground" GND pin (in this case it is pin 13). It would be best to put switch between pin 4 and 13 so if it has contact ST will boot in mono and if it has no contact it will boot in color.

Ah, so somehow get that pin 4 connected to the GND and the STE boots up in colour mode rather than mono? Okay, I understand that. So just cutting the wire wouldn't work then? Why can't us ST users simply buy a cable like this? Yep, a cowardly move on my part but I've no idea how to alter pins or solder stuff like this. I'd end up burning myself or the house down lol. Sorry, unlike your good self this is like star trek to me mate :S

Time to google and see if there's any being made/sold...

:D

if you want I will make video: "how to add mono/color switch to cable" tonight? :)

btw

when pin 4 for is open (not connected to GND) ST will boot in color (it will gave color image on TV modulator output and on DIN13).

Cable that you have is for mono so internaly he connect pin4 to GND and ST boot in mono mode (if you want, you could simple cut pin4 wire in that cable and ST will boot in color; if you add switch on cuted wire than you could switch between color and mono).

Edited by calimero

I EDIT MY POST IN MEANTIME !!!

when pin 4 for is open (not connected to GND) ST will boot in color (it will gave color image on TV modulator output and on DIN13).

Cable that you have is for mono so internaly he connect pin4 to GND and ST boot in mono mode (if you want, you could simple cut pin4 wire in that cable and ST will boot in color; if you add switch on cuted wire than you could switch between color and mono).

Hi!

Be aware that on most Atari to Mono VGA cables, all the R, G, B, pins are soldered to pin 11 in the Atari side.
So it's no so easy as disconnecting pin 4.

Monochrome

Atari VGA

Audio Out 1 Opt. Audio connector

Monochrome Detect 4+13 Connect to pin 13

H-Sync 9 13

Monochrome 11 1+2+3 (That's R,G,B.)

V-Sync 12 14

GND 13 6+7+8+10

Here is a closeup of Civilization. You can see jail bars on the bottom.

I'll get better pics.

I made test picture. Load this on Atari and than adjust H.SIZE on Nec so every vertical line is displayed same.

btw HuskyTE I did not know that on mono cable all thre RGB wire are connected to same pin... thanx!

post-25488-0-28723700-1453705932_thumb.gif

Edited by calimero

THAT's the pin 4 that needs taking out?

If you go back to page 1 of this thread, you'll see that the ST has 4 video signal output pins: R, G, B, and Mono. When the Mono detect pin is grounded, the ST boots in high res and video is output on the Mono pin. When mono detect is not grounded, ST boots in low/med and video is output on R, G, and B. So cutting the mono pin on your ST mono cable will boot your ST in low res by default, but will cause no video to be output by your mono cable.

Best Electronics sells a colour/mono switchable cable for US$55: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/monadapt.htm

I could build a cable like this, but not for much less than Best sells it for (although shipping might be cheaper as they use a courier service). For really cheap shipping, I'm going to be in Manchester at the end of March ;)

Edited by galax

galax - thank you I'm passing on the info to my friend. He's already started to make the cable, I've seen a WIP pic of it. I think he's using some sort of magic, all this techno lark blows my mind anyhow!! Thank you for your kind off, appreciated. I'll let ppl know here the moment it's done and tested :D

galax - thank you I'm passing on the info to my friend. He's already started to make the cable, I've seen a WIP pic of it. I think he's using some sort of magic, all this techno lark blows my mind anyhow!! Thank you for your kind off, appreciated. I'll let ppl know here the moment it's done and tested :D

Nice, I'm tempted to make some ST->Colour VGA cables up and put them on eBay. It's a lot easier to do put all the components inside the connector if you leave out the switch, and ST->Mono VGA cables are more common. After I do the external floppy connector cables I promised though, hopefully next month.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1