IGNORED

Tv out under the Christmas tree 2014

rygar

That's great! Should lead to screen replacements.

Currently the TV out kit consists of a small box attached to the back of the lynx.

The FPGA is a bit big to imagine putting it inside the lynx and connect it to a new LCD screen but it's certainly a possible evolution in the near future.

Edited by rygar

Yeah, it needs a board with smaller suitable FPGA and that would be it. The board he's used there is a prototyping board - hence the size.

With regards to the flickering issue. I think that could be very difficult to resolve, especially since different games use different approach there with regards to what is displayed each frame, I've seen examples of separate frames for R, G, and B, and I've seen examples where another method was used to flip between 2 images rather than 3. I guess if the LCD cell fade out could be simulated per frame then it might be possible to simulate that and have a switch to enable or disable the feature. Hopefully this will motivate Candle.

Currently the TV out kit consists of a small box attached to the back of the lynx.

The FPGA is a bit big to imagine putting it inside the lynx and connect it to a new LCD screen but it's certainly a possible evolution in the near future.

• Like 1

The story of this device...

One day I discover this subject : http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?sl=424&s=167922
A guy decides to create a TV out for his wonderswan.
In only a few days the first results are coming and a functional device is presented.
So I decide to ask him:
"Can you do the same thing for my Lynx?"
I imagined getting a negative response or a response as "yes may be… I am not sure… I must see ..."
His answer was quite different and made me hallucinate:
"Yes of course I can. Just tell me which type of output you want, Scart or VGA"
Furrtek had never seen a Lynx before, therefore I have send at his home two Lynx for make his tests and like for the Wonderswan in just some days he can present the first results.
In a few days the devices should be completely finished, time to receive FPGA, plugs, wires and boxes to store all this properly.
I told to Furrtek that other people might be interested in this type of TV out and he agreed to made a small series of this device.
Regarding the sale there will be two options available:
1 - Only the kit,
You order only the kit and weld yourself some wires directly on the Lynx motherboard (a diagram will be provide in order you can see where solder the wires) then you put the batteries in the console, a game, and you connect to your scart TV plug. have fun.
2 The kit mounted.
You send your Lynx and furrtek install the kit on your Lynx and everything is shipped to your home ready to run.
If you are interested to buy this kit sent me a PM specifying the option you want.
And last, about the price, it will be lower than $200 for the both options.

I give you the exact price in the evening or tomorrow at the latest
  • Like 3

Some news about the price :

1 - Only the kit, = $ 115 + shipping
You order only the kit and weld yourself some wires directly on the Lynx motherboard (a drawing will be provide in order you can see where solder the wires) then you put the batteries in the console, a game, and you connect to your scart TV plug. have fun.

2 The kit mounted. = $ 130 + shipping
You send your Lynx and furrtek install the kit on your Lynx and everything is shipped to your home ready to run.

And to celebrate this wonderful device and the 25th anniversary of the lynx I will offer to ten buyers a mystery lynx cartridge that will not be sold or otherwise distributed (and some other small gifts).

If there are between one and ten people who will bought this kit, all have this cartridge and these small gifts.
If there are more than ten person we will organize a draw for selecting the 10 winners.

Again, congratulations and thank you to furrtek for making this kit and happy 25 years the LYNX.

I'll post more photos, videos and explanations of the device as soon as possible...

• Like 2

Just to add a little something to the infos myself: If anyone wants the ready-to-use option, we'll have to work out some dates at which I'll be able to make and set up the mod, since I already had some bad surprises having to do 10 things at once and ending up either refusing, refunding/sending back or being very late.

If we set the dates properly and I accept one job at once, then there will be no problem at all :)

I'll let RYGAR post more about this project himself, since he knows the forum better then I do.

Edited by furrtek

That is cool. Have to see if I have a SCART option on any of my TV's at this point. I believe I do.

I see you are in France, is that offer for $115-$130 USD? I would probably go for option 1 (Just so I would not have to ship the Lynx over for the work.)

Loving this! As I've said, the only limitation of the Lynx from being Atari's best game system was the size of the screen in my opinion.

I'll take option 1. My main development Lynx LCD is getting bad. I already got an arcade quality joystick that plugs to it. A nice interface to a large screen would be a nice plus. So portability is not important.

VGA is easier for me than SCART.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

Interested in option 2 - but is this only for Lynx 2s? If so, I will have to go and buy one :)

And to understand what cost of shipping might be, is this fellow in Europe? US? Somewhere else?

That is a good question, actualy the test will made only with lynx II. This is a good opportunity to buy a lynx II ;)

The parcel will be shipped from France and depending of the type of shipping and the country of destination I think the price must be between 20-60$