IGNORED

Tv out under the Christmas tree 2014

rygar

This is great news :) Have a few questions just to know little more about this:

Does this do audio out too?

And is the VGA 31khz?

Would it be possible to get the box separate from the lynx. For example, have the lynx modded to support a cable that connects the lynx to the TV out box so that it doesn't have to be glued to the back of the system?

Is there a high possibility of an internal version in the future or is that more like "possible but probably not going to happen?"

Anyway, this is a great new possibility for Lynx owners, and even better that it's available at the same time it is being revealed (no indefinite waiting period)!

Edited by Willard

Hello Willard,

Yes, stereo audio is available with the VGA option through RCA or a 3.5 or 6.5mm female jack.

VGA is 640*480 60fps so yes, 31kHz. The lag is variable, ranging from a few lines to a complete frame.

It would be possible to have an "interdmediate box" along the cable to have it separated from the Lynx, but I'm a bit afraid the length of the wires would impact the signals integrity either corrupting the video output or the Lynx's display.

I'll see if an internal mod is possible, but it might require designing a specific PCB to fit everything (same price, even maybe cheaper, but just longer to make).

I'll be finishing RYGAR's first mod job tomorrow or tuesday, I'll post pictures of how it looks like outside and inside.

Edited by furrtek

does the headphone jack still work with the RGB mod?

so the audio out on the VGA option allows the audio and video to sync due to the frame delay?

that's too bad that an intermediate box wouldn't work out, but if cable length of 8-10ft would substantially degrade the signal I suppose that might put most people off depending on the degree of the quality loss. Another alternative might be to just take the lynx out of the shell, add this mod, and create an external controller mod (for those who want a dedicate lynx TV console). Being a Jaguar fan I'd love to be able to play the lynx with a Jaguar controller :D

anyway will definitely be interested in getting a TV out mod for the lynx in the near future. I think most people would prefer some alternative besides having to append it to the back of the lynx unless that is the only option- although being able to finally play the genuine lynx hardware on a TV is a great opportunity no matter how it's done! Looking forward to the pics of Rygar's mod :)

Edited by Willard

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

All mods have audio out by default (if you don't care about the sound, or rather want to keep it to the Lynx's speaker, please tell me).

SCART has stereo along with video signals. Since VGA doesn't have sound lines, it has to be on another connector.

I'm only concerned about the digital signal integrity from the Lynx. Since some of the signals can go in the MHz range, I'm afraid that the length of the cable + the input capacity of the mod might cause slow rise/fall times and produce bad video. Those particular signals originally go from the Lynx mobo to the LCD, so normally they're only travelling a few centimeters at most.

The analog signal going from the mod to the TV or monitor won't be affected by a few feet of cable, In the demo video I had ~15cm wires from the Lynx to the board, and a 2m VGA cable: everything worked fine.

In the VGA case I assume that the Lynx built-in headphone connector is all you need. So no sound socket for VGA versions. Less soldering ;)

I will probably create two connectors in the back of my Lynx:

- a female VGA for the display

- a 9-pin male socket for a joystick with directions plus 2 fire buttons

For the sound connecting the headphones to the Lynx is the best solution for me. My wife gets nuts listening to computer beeps ;) Besides the Lynx has built-in volume control.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Stupid me. Well, let's say the offer counts for RCA and the 6.5 jack ;p

Also, please note that the mod probably won't fit inside the Lynx itself, the kit is a small box which needs to be bolted/glued behind the Lynx (and has all the connectors fitted already).

In the VGA case I assume that the Lynx built-in headphone connector is all you need. So no sound socket for VGA versions. Less soldering ;)

I will probably create two connectors in the back of my Lynx:

- a female VGA for the display

- a 9-pin male socket for a joystick with directions plus 2 fire buttons

For the sound connecting the headphones to the Lynx is the best solution for me. My wife gets nuts listening to computer beeps ;) Besides the Lynx has built-in volume control.

I was thinking the same thing about the Lynx with this mod. It would be a stationary game system connected to a connector out to a display, and then add some connectors for joystick ports, probably for Sega Genesis controllers since I believe Lynx games can have more than one fire button.

I was thinking the same thing about the Lynx with this mod. It would be a stationary game system connected to a connector out to a display, and then add some connectors for joystick ports, probably for Sega Genesis controllers since I believe Lynx games can have more than one fire button.

I was thinking along similar lines as well! Who wouldn't love a consolized lynx!

• Like 1

Stupid me. Well, let's say the offer counts for RCA and the 6.5 jack ;p

Also, please note that the mod probably won't fit inside the Lynx itself, the kit is a small box which needs to be bolted/glued behind the Lynx (and has all the connectors fitted already).

Does the kit have separate r, g, b signals plus syncs or composite PAL?

This really makes no difference as I will get a matching small display for it. Just curious.

Hi! Great news, that's something everybody here waited for years! Could you post the wiring diagram just to have an idea of the mod's complexity? I have done a similar mod to my gamegear and I must confess it was very difficult for a non experienced modder mainly due to the tiny welding points on the PCB.

Thanks a lot for bringing this to the community!

Karri: Yes, 5 video signals for VGA, 4 for Scart.

Guitari: I added you to the list.

Elefas: Here are the solder points for the video in the Lynx:

lynxmod3.jpg

You can use fat wires, as those solder points are quite big and spaced apart. Those 9 wires + ground and 5V go to similar solder points on the mod board, nothing particularly hard.
For the curious, H and V are syncs, C are pixel clocks for each third of the screen (could be ANDed together actually...), ABCD are sequential R/G/B values.

• Like 3

Simple question, does the mod "kill" the screen output or is the signal still sent to the lynx screen (along with tv output)?

No this mod not kill the screen. When you start the lynx the two screens (TV and Lynx) turn on.

If you want you can use the backlight swith in order to turn off the screen of the lynx.