IGNORED

Consoles you just can't get excited about

I kind of like the Studio II and the Channel F because those are really limited. I don't expect much from them, at least not graphically. I know the Atari VCS was released roughly a half year after the Studio II, and has its programming limitations too, but to me the improved resolution and colour depth too much reminds me of far newer systems and I tend to compare with those which is why I don't fancy it very much. I suppose the blockier, the easier to accept it for what it is. For similar reasons, I care more about the O2/G7000.

Also interesting to hear that NES and SNES are impossibly expensive worldwide, I thought that only was locally over here. If price is an issue, obviously Neo Geo and a few more systems go into the "not interested" bin, just because you can't justify the prices vs how much more playability you would get from other, cheaper systems.

Same for me. I didn't mentionned the Studio II, because I'm interested in getting an Euroclone (would be cheaper for me since I'm in France) and, as I mentionned, I do'nt see the point mentionning it.

After all, it's a rare and shortlived system, so most people doesn't even know of it.

But I agree, the harsh limits of the system make them interesting. I'm not saying I love the Channel F... But I like to pull out the Nordmende Teleplay here and there and fire the beast.

As for prices, thanksfully retro game convetions here allows you to buy many NES and SNin games for sometime 10 times less than the car boot sale market :D

Also, if I was interested in fighting games I may go and get the Neo Geo. I paid good bucks for an Odyssey (thos it's more for the "collection" side) an Astrocade, and a Vectrex. But that's IMO money well spent.

As with many things, it's not about the price, it's a balance between "what I want to pay" and "what I like to play" :D

I didn't mentionned computers as the title says consoles, but... I mean, Europe made TONS of computers, and again, there is no point in saying "I don't feel like owning a Squale or a Thomson TO-7" when those were small-scale made computers (the Squale barely got produced).

Edited by CatPix

I wrote I'm not really into handhelds, so yes with all answers combined it seems that Genesis is the system most people tolerate, even if perhaps it is not the system most people wholeheartedly love and actively collect for. As the prices on Nintendo stuff continues to skyrocket, I predict Sega gear and in particular Genesis/Mega Drive will be the Next Big Thing among new and rebooting collectors wanting as much as possible for their money, until a point comes where of course those games also become more expensive than they should.

Most 2600-era systems. Odyssey and the like. Colecovision. Intellivision.

Crusty old 8-bit "computers" that were mainly used for games when people are honest about it, like the Speccy or Amstrad machines.

I think the Jaguar and Lynx are interesting, but I wouldn't say they excite me. Same for the Master System and Wonder Swan.

I may really get flack for saying this but the Atari 7800 is the only Atari system I have even the slightest interest in.

I don't like Sony products either with the psp being my least favorite.

I don't think I would play any pong consoles I would find but I''d love to own more of them to show off.

Hi guys,

I was (and still am) always interested on video games and all the systems that come out! I'm known for the Neo-Geo, but I been building up my collection for many years and been trying to find good deals on games/systems when I'm at flea markets, or on the internet!

I just love video games! An expensive habit? Yes! But what the heck!

Anthony...

Vectrex - A b/w monitor with colored overlays and a jostick made for 9-year-old-kids hands. Pole Position in single-color-vector-graphic? :woozy:

The overlay has more than one color (mountains, sky, etc.) and since it's a pretty repetitive track view it works great. But I've never been a fan of those first-person racing games. I'm also biased towards vector arcade games so to me the Vectrex is tied for greatest console of all time since it's the only one that does Star Castle, Armor..Attack!, Space Wars, etc. justice. Bedlam is a fantastic game, so is Scramble and Starhawk. And the homebrews are fantastic, especially Fury's Cinematronics ports (cannot wait for Tail Gunner to come out).

As for consoles I can't get excited about -

Odyssey 2 - I tried to like it, back in the day the Macy's by my high school had one set up to play in their electronics section, I tried quite a few times, could never ever get into any single game I tried. The keyboard seemed worthless to me, as did the controllers. All the games just looked terrible, not even considering gameplay. But gameplay was terrible, too.

Intellivision - My best friend had one so I played most of the games at the time. He was big into sports games, those were fun because they at least attempted to represent the sports correctly (I had an Atari 2600 and he had an Atari 5200, sports games were a lost cause on those). I liked Sea Battle and Space Battle and a few others (Utopia, we'd play the asshole approach of covering our islands with as many factories as possible, one or two hospitals and barely enough food to keep everyone alive, haahahaaahahaahaahaa) but I hated that thumb disk joystick replacement so much, how it made my thumb pull away from my thumbnail and sting, what hell.

Nintendo - Whatever the original one was, though to be fair it was more the games than the console. I was never a big fan of Donkey Kong style platform games and that seemed to be all that was coming out for it. And that controller was the worst, the goofy cross/plus sign directional thing was (and is) idiotic.

I will always have more respect for a console with multiple controller options, including the must-have trak-ball and paddle controllers. If your console offering can't do analog correctly in the arcade controller sense then it's worthless.

Like Bill and Seob, I love everything retro. If I had the funds I have every single model retro console and computer system. About the only thing I'm not that interested in is anything that doesn't feature physical media, like some of the modern things today. I still refuse to spend a cent on a game where there's no actual item I can hold and place into my collection.

Like Bill and Seob, I love everything retro. If I had the funds I have every single model retro console and computer system. About the only thing I'm not that interested in is anything that doesn't feature physical media, like some of the modern things today. I still refuse to spend a cent on a game where there's no actual item I can hold and place into my collection.

I think the digital thing is mostly psychological. Either you get over it or you don't, but if you don't it's very difficult to play in the modern world. I'm a big believer in eBooks, Steam, digital stuff on Xbox One/PS4, etc. The reality is, with many modern games, the physical media is just an illusion, requiring some type of online component anyway for verification, updates, etc. The other advantage that I particularly like is the fact that this stuff is always available to me, i.e., I don't need to find or locate a disc/k/cartridge, etc.

The big question that still needs to be answered is what happens when one of these major services eventually fails/goes down. Thus far that's mostly been isolated to games with online network play, but outright failure will have to be addressed. With that said, by the time that happens, perhaps we'll all be on Netflix-like subscription services and it won't really matter anymore.

I think the problem is supportig or not those systems.

Electronics Arts took down a Steam-like systems they had. People still have the game on their computers. But they can't play them anymore.

Steam said they'll release a patch for their games if they are ever forced to close. Who knows?

What happens if some editor decide to pull of their game from Steam?

It's the issue with non-physical items, whether they are games, books, music (and I have all three of them -- eBooks are awesome with an e-ink reader). DRM are meant to control the number of use of the file. It's scary; the more peopel will go into all-dematerialized culture, the more we'll see this "use and throw" files going on.

I think the problem is supportig or not those systems.

Electronics Arts took down a Steam-like systems they had. People still have the game on their computers. But they can't play them anymore.

Steam said they'll release a patch for their games if they are ever forced to close. Who knows?

What happens if some editor decide to pull of their game from Steam?

It's the issue with non-physical items, whether they are games, books, music (and I have all three of them -- eBooks are awesome with an e-ink reader). DRM are meant to control the number of use of the file. It's scary; the more peopel will go into all-dematerialized culture, the more we'll see this "use and throw" files going on.

The main issue is we as a society will continue to be moving away from physical goods into digital goods, so it's either embrace the reality or ignore it and simply live exclusively with vintage tech. If you embrace the reality, you can become one of the voices that makes the situation better and helps to minimize some of the potential gotchas. Obviously, there are significant advantage/disadvantages to both physical and digital goods. I'm fully on board with digital stuff (still supporting physical stuff when it makes sense) because for me, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Of course, to bring this back on topic (to the idea of not liking modern consoles), I'm only really passionate about the subject when I hear otherwise like-minded people outright reject certain technology because it doesn't fit into their comfort zone or their potentially outmoded ideas of thinking. With each passing generation, the idea of owning physical goods will be less and less important. I know my kids think in terms of instant access digital and only deal with discs or cartridges when they absolutely have to. I can't say I blame them. Just because we didn't have any other choice growing up doesn't mean it's a better way necessarily.

As I said, I got into digital goods. But mostly with books and music, I try to get a physical copy whenever I want, as for movies. Because clicking on "transformers_2012_michael_bay.mp4" (random stuff) for me doesn't feel like sitting in front of the TV and sticking a Blue-Ray or a DVD into the PS3. It "sets in the mood".

I don't ignore it, but I support physical medias more.

Note that Europe is more fond of physical media and less attracted into Direct to home TV and Netflix stuff than USA; this may be why I feel like this.

I grew with a PC. ALL the games I had weere stored on hard drive or floppies, all copies. I started to buy legit games I think around 1996 when I got enough money to buy NES and SNES games. I grew up with fast loading stolen games. I learned to enjoy physical media.

I don't mean you to force your kid to play Thomson TO7 games or C64 games on tapes with a 8 minutes time load, but, there is an added value to anything with a "physical presence".

PS4 and Xbone got an automatic pass. Now goldenegg says the PS Vita TV requires a PSN account even for physical games. This generation of consoles just can do anything right.

That's fine, of course, but that trend is not going to change. It's a sad thought to ignore all of the wonderful new stuff just because it's not exclusively tied to physical media.

I can only recommend someone to try out GOG who is still shunning away from digital stuff. GOG gives you more stuff than what you paid for at retail back in the old days.

Soundtracks, Hint Books, Art, Developer Diaries, Wallpapers, Avatars, Instruction manuals, Reference Cards, Developer videos etc.

They even allow you to return a game and get a refund if you don't like it. You can make copies, print everything out or share it with all your friends.

Instead of an idiotic CD and jewel case....it all sits on your hard drive taking up less physical room.

That's fine, of course, but that trend is not going to change. It's a sad thought to ignore all of the wonderful new stuff just because it's not exclusively tied to physical media.

From my perspective it's sad to see people blindly accepting virtual goods with limited rights and no chance of preservation given activation and DRM. But, I don't expect us to agree here :)

• Like 4

From my perspective it's sad to see people blindly accepting virtual goods with limited rights and no chance of preservation given activation and DRM. But, I don't expect us to agree here :)

The time to fight against the trend has long since passed. I'm going to enjoy the benefits of what most people are onboard with now.

The time to fight against the trend has long since passed. I'm going to enjoy the benefits of what most people are onboard with now.

Capitulation isn't part of personal enjoyment. I'll choose other consoles. I'll even make games for those consoles. I was just describing the systems I wont be bothering with. What are yours?

• Like 3

From my perspective it's sad to see people blindly accepting virtual goods with limited rights and no chance of preservation given activation and DRM.

I don't like the current trends, either. However, I am willing to accept limited DRM and other crap I don't like if the purchase price is very low. At $1 per game I have no problem with digital distribution and limited DRM, like on Steam. More than $5 and I wait for it to go on sale.

However, if a game has multiple layers of DRM, like Steam + Ubisoft or Steam + Disney, I don't care if it is free. It isn't worth my time to deal with all of that crap.

EDIT: The way I see it is that at $1-$5 per game, it's a lot like the arcade used to be. That's about how much I would spend in quarters. If the DRM servers go offline in a few years and I can never play it again, I only lost a few bucks. No different from when the arcade machines were swapped out or arcades closed. Sad, but oh well :D

Edited by akator
  • Like 2