IGNORED

Consoles you just can't get excited about

Odyssey 2 as well. I have a couple systems and some 20 CIB games and it's had maybe a grand total of 10 minutes of play time since I got them at yard sale about 20 years ago. Still have em.

Colecovision too. Back when I had them and a bunch of games, they did have better graphic and a few had better gameplay than similar Atari games but the only game I could actually care to play more was Smurf game. I ended up getting the new flashback model recently for only $15 so in a way I still have Colecovision.

Saturn. Meh as well. Of the games I do like playing, none are exclusive to Saturn. Felt like it was just taking up space so I eventually sold it. One of the game did sell very well at over $100. I still have Saturn controller extension cord, a couple 3D pads, and a multitap somewhere.

Vectrex wasn't a bad system but I just didn't have a good enough game to make me want to keep the one I got at yard sale for $25 (CIB system too). I let it go to someone who appreciated it a lot more.

Have not tried XBox 360, One, PS3 (have busted system though) and PS4, and WiiU. Also no PSP and Vita so no idea if there's something worth getting for me or not.

I very badly wanted a Colecovision when I was growing up. I recently purchased a Flashback and, honestly, I was disappointed (at least with the arcade ports; I have not yet tried the more complex strategy games). Zaxxon, in particular, was a far more watered-down port than I was expecting.

I have only played the Intellivision in emulation, and I have no desire to get the original hardware.

I'm tempted by some of the modern consoles simply for the massive RPGs available, but I cannot justify spending the money.

Edited by jhd

I very badly wanted a Colecovision when I was growing up. I recently purchased a Flashback and, honestly, I was disappointed (at least with the arcade ports; I have not yet tried the more complex strategy games). Zaxxon, in particular, was a far more watered-down port than I was expecting.

I have only played the Intellivision in emulation, and I have no desire to get the original hardware.

I've heard mostly bad things about the Colecovision Flashback, but I kind of know how you feel. I had been collecting for a few years before I got a Colecovision, and couldn't wait to play Donkey Kong after hearing for so long how it was the best port of DK. It was just okay for me. Although it's basically a pretty good game, I was expecting something mindblowing, which I didn't think it was by any stretch. I was let down by the hype, I think.

Intellivision's one of those things you have to experience first-hand. Emulation really doesn't do it justice, especially the controller experience. You may still hate it, but at least you'll hate the real thing.

I had been collecting for a few years before I got a Colecovision, and couldn't wait to play Donkey Kong after hearing for so long how it was the best port of DK. It was just okay for me. Although it's basically a pretty good game, I was expecting something mindblowing, which I didn't think it was by any stretch. I was let down by the hype, I think.

At the time and as a pack-in launch title it was something special. Out of that context, it's merely an average conversion. The nice thing about all arcade ports for classic systems now is that it no longer matters how close to the original they are because we can easily emulate the original umpteen ways. That means that games like ColecoVision DK can be appreciated more as unique creations with their own merits and quirks..

• Like 3

The 3DO and Jaguar just dont have enough good games.

The Genesis Sega CD, too. Most of the games blew. They put a lot of little video clips in them. It was neat at the time, but it is dated now and kills the playability.

Ah, the FMV craze of the early-mid '90s. I remember at the time it seemed like that was the future of gaming. It was exciting...for a little while. :P

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but just addressing the topic of the OP, I'd say almost every system has something worthwhile about it to get me interested in it--even the Atari Jaguar. :)

Except maybe:

CD-i/CDTV and other "multimedia" stations.

Game.com

That CD-thingy with the game cards that scan.

But I don't really consider these serious systems anyways. They don't really count.

Edited by BillyHW

The 3DO and Jaguar just dont have enough good games.

The Genesis Sega CD, too. Most of the games blew. They put a lot of little video clips in them. It was neat at the time, but it is dated now and kills the playability.

I ended up selling my Sega CD and all the games I had for it to afford an RGB modded Sega Genesis. There were very few exclusives for the Sega CD, and the ones it did had either were FMV suckitude or else where RPGs, and I just don't have time for RPGs these days. Its shooters were only OK, too. Ultimately I can't justify having such a bulky system for so few games. Same with the 32X. Just had to get rid of it. Even the Neo Geo CD had more worthwhile games.

25 games minimum is the magic number for a console being worth it. If there aren't at least 25 good games for it, games that I can't really get elsewhere, then I pass on the system.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but just addressing the topic of the OP, I'd say almost every system has something worthwhile about it to get me interested in it--even the Atari Jaguar. :)

Except maybe:

CD-i/CDTV and other "multimedia" stations.

Game.com

That CD-thingy with the game cards that scan.

But I don't really consider these serious systems anyways. They don't really count.

The cd-i had about 124 games, so i count it as a serious system, even if Philips never designed it as a game sysytem.

Edited by Seob

The original Xbox. I used to play it at a friends house when we were doing long kernel compiles and it was neat but it never enters into my mind otherwise.

I didn't play a lot of Xbox when it was current since I and all my friends had PlayStation 2s. And aside from Halo it didn't look like there was anything there that I was missing on my PS2. And around that time I was losing interest in consoles anyway (current ones, at least).

I own an Xbox ($15 for a console and a bunch of controllers, light guns, and accessories was too good to pass up), but I always forget I have it. I've only got one or two random titles for it and have no interest in collecting for it. I might just get Halo for it and call it a day.

I didn't play a lot of Xbox when it was current since I and all my friends had PlayStation 2s. And aside from Halo it didn't look like there was anything there that I was missing on my PS2. And around that time I was losing interest in consoles anyway (current ones, at least).

I own an Xbox ($15 for a console and a bunch of controllers, light guns, and accessories was too good to pass up), but I always forget I have it. I've only got one or two random titles for it and have no interest in collecting for it. I might just get Halo for it and call it a day.

Even Halo isn't worth it, as it's pretty cheap on the PC, too. The Xbox was something I had since 2003, and I liked playing what I had for it. But when push came to shove, I decided to get rid of it. Same logic as Sega CD, it just didn't have enough exclusives to keep my attention. Outrun 2006? Also on PS2. Fable? Halo? PC as well. I'd rather just plug in the Colecovision or boot up the Commodore 64 than play what exclusives the Xbox does have.

• Like 1

LOL sorry drac but I'm not a dreamcast fan either. Had one for a while but was underwhelmed. It's a good machine and I won't put it down just was never personally a favorite of mine.

I've also been having second thoughts about colecovision. I have it and about 20 games because it has some great ports but even with superior ports I'll still prefer the 2600 versions like bump and jump or Centipede. I think I mainly keep it for the awesome ports of Galaxian and Mr. Do otherwise I might dump it.

Despite not being a console and living in the UK I can't get excitied about Spectrums, mainly because I grew up with Commodores and the few I have owned have been unreliable and died on me. I think also the graphics is a big put off with many games having the blue\yellow colour scheme. I currently own just two spectrums - Mostly just for use at gaming events as they are popular in the UK - both Grey +2's from the Amstrad Era (seems to be the one to have for most compatibility) and one is Spanish with Spanish Keyboard just to be a bit different from the normal ones.

The other is the Atari Jaguar for many reasons - one of the few major systems not to have a proper multicart\everdrive cart system released for it. Even though only 67 games were released for it, its bizarre popularity has put me off wanting to collect for it, but I don't have much love for any of the major systems released during the Fifth Generation and it was a generation of systems I skipped and never owned back in the day.

Handheld systems do not excite me much either and I don't collect them or for them. I do still own my original Gameboy though, so guess that is the exception and a modded Sega Gamegear with Controller Port and TV out, so its not really used as a handheld anymore. I also don't class the Virtual Boy as a handheld and own one and have collected all but 9 original cartridges for it - 4 of which I doubt I will ever own due to being stupidly rare and high in price.

I own over 150+ consoles and computers in my collection. I am currently going through a phaze of collecting games for some obscure Japanese systems. I do get much more excited about the obscure systems than the common ones and still till this day every so often come across a system I have never heard of or seen before.

• Like 2

Despite not being a console and living in the UK I can't get excitied about Spectrums, mainly because I grew up with Commodores and the few I have owned have been unreliable and died on me. I think also the graphics is a big put off with many games having the blue\yellow colour scheme. I currently own just two spectrums - Mostly just for use at gaming events as they are popular in the UK - both Grey +2's from the Amstrad Era (seems to be the one to have for most compatibility) and one is Spanish with Spanish Keyboard just to be a bit different from the normal ones.

The other is the Atari Jaguar for many reasons - one of the few major systems not to have a proper multicart\everdrive cart system released for it. Even though only 67 games were released for it, its bizarre popularity has put me off wanting to collect for it, but I don't have much love for any of the major systems released during the Fifth Generation and it was a generation of systems I skipped and never owned back in the day.

Handheld systems do not excite me much either and I don't collect them or for them. I do still own my original Gameboy though, so guess that is the exception and a modded Sega Gamegear with Controller Port and TV out, so its not really used as a handheld anymore. I also don't class the Virtual Boy as a handheld and own one and have collected all but 9 original cartridges for it - 4 of which I doubt I will ever own due to being stupidly rare and high in price.

I own over 150+ consoles and computers in my collection. I am currently going through a phaze of collecting games for some obscure Japanese systems. I do get much more excited about the obscure systems than the common ones and still till this day every so often come across a system I have never heard of or seen before.

No one gets excited about the Spectrums for pete's sake.

Anything that has a lot of FMV and/or is disc based.

It seems that developers working on consoles with discs are given a free pass to take the easy way out when it comes to loading times, excessive FMV, and general overall bloat.

Those 2K VCS carts were the ultimate in fitness. No fat!

• Like 1

It seems that developers working on consoles with discs are given a free pass to take the easy way out when it comes to loading times, excessive FMV, and general overall bloat.

A related story about the gamecube:

A problem is that people seem to demand realistic graphics from software: I'm not convinced that by relying on this the game can be any good. I'm not sure if it's the whole world demanding realistic graphics or just a limited number of games players, but some developers are in the mind-set that they feel threatened by the world into making realistic gameplay right now.

Therefore, they just cannot afford the time to make unique software because they feel the pressure to make realistic games and are obsessed with graphics. In the end they cannot recoup their investment in the game. So, in a way the smaller disc is a message from Nintendo that you don't need to fill out the capacity of a normal sized DVD disc. If we want to make larger software, then we just make the game on two or three discs.

Source: http://senseinaga.tripod.com/cube/news/7.html

Those 2K VCS carts were the ultimate in fitness. No fat!

I agree but I don't think it's the media that's the factor. I remember when magazine editors, and myself, had the same thoughts about the Neo-Geo (which is cart-based, of course). Give someone $20/week for allowance and they will watch every dime as they spend it. Give them $500/week and they'll be less frugal.