IGNORED

Super Mario World for Colecovision

retroillucid

So it can't be done for CV?

I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that if someone tackles the challenge of doing Super Mario Bros on the ColecoVision, much of that challenge will lie in implementing smooth horizontal scrolling WITH a destructible/alterable environment (destructible bricks and other special display features). It all has to be done via tight programming, with basically no help from the hardware.

I myself came up with a scrolling system applicable to SMB, with horizontal scrolling in 2-pixel increments (4-pixel increments when Mario runs) but I never got around to trying to code it to see how well it actually works. I do think it's possible, but there's no doubt in my mind that this would be a MegaCart game. There's no way to fit a game like SMB in 32K.

• Like 1

Oh! Somehow, I though the SGM could handle scrolling :?

Damn! :roll:

So basically, The SGM "only" provide better sound?

No, it also offers extra RAM, which can be useful for defining graphic buffers. With such buffers, you can build up a display structure in the SGM's RAM and then blast this data into VRAM at regular intervals. That's the kind of thing I would do if I coded Asteroids on the CV, for example.

I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that if someone tackles the challenge of doing Super Mario Bros on the ColecoVision, much of that challenge will lie in implementing smooth horizontal scrolling WITH a destructible/alterable environment (destructible bricks and other special display features). It all has to be done via tight programming, with basically no help from the hardware.

I myself came up with a scrolling system applicable to SMB, with horizontal scrolling in 2-pixel increments (4-pixel increments when Mario runs) but I never got around to trying to code it to see how well it actually works. I do think it's possible, but there's no doubt in my mind that this would be a MegaCart game. There's no way to fit a game like SMB in 32K.

:) Awesome!

You of all people should know that the CV doesn't have hardware scrolling capabilities, J-F. And the SGM does not change that.

FYI, MSX2 does not have hardware scrolling as well.

Hardware scrolling comes with MSX2+ and Turbo R.

BTW , a reasonable SMB is doable on Colecovision. But if you want smooth scrolling you will have "limited" graphism. But i remember a Mock up you did Luc that was very nice, and if i remember well it was taking in account the "smooth" scrolling constraints!.

As said , The SGM extra RAM would of course help a lot in this kind of game.

but it could be done without SGM , but for sure will require a MegaCart.

Or if you don't want Smooth scrolling you can have something like that

Edited by youki

MSX2 could make scroll, doing dirty tricks, but MSX2+ could do et better ;)

MSX2 would be able to down/upscrool but left/right could be done a bit dirty, using the same way as "SET ADJUST" basic command did.

To see the dif. could try to run spacemanbow on MSX2 and MSX2+ and see the dif.

and yes SMG only make the CV able to come closer to MSX1 (with the MSX soundchip and 32kb ram). No improvement on VDP

• Like 1

Sorry, but what is the point of making sub-standard ports of games available on other major platforms, also tainted with strong copyright and trademark issues that would make it difficult even to distribute as downloadable files for free, much less produce physical cartridges in the end? I know a number of licensing deals have been made before, but I'm not sure Nintendo is the one you want to play with unless you can convince them about the market potential and let them keep 90% of the net profits from the sales.

While I admit I don't know which other jump and run games are available on the Colecovision, after a quick search on the forum I saw that e.g. Malaika Prehistoric Quest was mentioned before. Admittingly it is no SMB and may have its playability issues, but I would imagine the rights to produce a CV version of that game - which positions tiles in such way that you can simulate soft scrolling - might be much easier. Another idea is of course to come up with brand new jump and run games, playable titles that would be unique to the Colecovision and something that would cause envy with collectors of other systems and even bring one or two more into the scene. After all, a Super Mario Bros/World port would hardly impress any NES/SNES collectors to start support the Colecovision no matter how good it is, and I imagine a fair amount of those already into it own multiple systems. Those who are entirely faithful to the Coleco might not seek Nintendo games anyway.

• Like 1

Sorry, but what is the point of making sub-standard ports of games available on other major platforms, also tainted with strong copyright and trademark issues that would make it difficult even to distribute as downloadable files for free, much less produce physical cartridges in the end?

Coolness factor, I suppose. :) JFK said it best: "We do not do these things because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Smooth horizontal scrolling has been done before on the ColecoVision, but the difference between all those CV games that did it and Super Mario Bros is that the scrolling background in SMB can change on the fly: Bumped bricks are removed or possibly changed into different bricks, upward-going vines are added to the playfield when you bump the correct brick, etc. Doing all this on the ColecoVision without slowdown poses a significant challenge, one that can be stimulating for an expert CV homebrew programmer.

Another idea is of course to come up with brand new jump and run games, playable titles that would be unique to the Colecovision and something that would cause envy with collectors of other systems and even bring one or two more into the scene.

As an experienced CV homebrew publisher, I can tell you that originality doesn't sell. People have a tendency to go "meh" at something they do not immediately recognize, unless it looks really cool. An original game with smooth scrolling on the CV wouldn't necessarily fare any better than others because most people don't realize how hard it is to pull off on the CV compared to the NES.

After all, a Super Mario Bros/World port would hardly impress any NES/SNES collectors to start support the Colecovision no matter how good it is, and I imagine a fair amount of those already into it own multiple systems.

A homebrew programmer that tackles Super Mario Bros on the ColecoVision is going to do it for the sheer achievement of it, just to prove that it can be done, not to convince people outside the ColecoVision fan community to "join in on the fun".

Those who are entirely faithful to the Coleco might not seek Nintendo games anyway.

You're right, Opcode's Donkey Kong Arcade definitely won't be a good seller, if it's eventually released... :ponder:

• Like 1

Oh, sorry to hear that publishing Colecovision games puts you in a Catch 22 situation, as the original games rarely attract buyers and the ported games require more or less licensing to get away with. It is cool with me if someone wants to take on a programming challenge that may or may not lead to a product that can be released, just good to make everyone aware of those small bits of boring, legal stuff before they get disappointed.

Since SMB/SMW are so well done and playable, I imagine a port where the graphics and level designs at last minute are changed might sell even if it no longer bears Mario-land marks.

Edited by carlsson

FYI, MSX2 does not have hardware scrolling as well.

Hardware scrolling comes with MSX2+ and Turbo R.

Isn't that what was used in the YouTube video, Turbo R?

Sorry, but what is the point of making sub-standard ports of games available on other major platforms, also tainted with strong copyright and trademark issues that would make it difficult even to distribute as downloadable files for free, much less produce physical cartridges in the end? I know a number of licensing deals have been made before, but I'm not sure Nintendo is the one you want to play with unless you can convince them about the market potential and let them keep 90% of the net profits from the sales.

While I admit I don't know which other jump and run games are available on the Colecovision, after a quick search on the forum I saw that e.g. Malaika Prehistoric Quest was mentioned before. Admittingly it is no SMB and may have its playability issues, but I would imagine the rights to produce a CV version of that game - which positions tiles in such way that you can simulate soft scrolling - might be much easier. Another idea is of course to come up with brand new jump and run games, playable titles that would be unique to the Colecovision and something that would cause envy with collectors of other systems and even bring one or two more into the scene. After all, a Super Mario Bros/World port would hardly impress any NES/SNES collectors to start support the Colecovision no matter how good it is, and I imagine a fair amount of those already into it own multiple systems. Those who are entirely faithful to the Coleco might not seek Nintendo games anyway.

Programming challenge would be the main factor, though beyond that I too don't think it makes a lot of sense.

Isn't that what was used in the YouTube video, Turbo R?

yes the video as been recorded from a Turbo R which is compatible MSX2 also. But it says that it is a port for MSX2 . but may be it is for MSX2+ because even if it is possible to do smooth scroll on msx2 using tricky tricks... what we see on video seem too "clean".