IGNORED

What 2600 games are you playing right now?

24Fanatic365

Subterranea, Yars' Revenge, and Adventure. I've been trying to break the 46,000 score on Subterranea but it's not working out real well, so I backed away from it. I've also been trying to work out better strategy for Adventure in killing dragons on game 3A. If you can get the scepter into a castle and grab the bat, you're in good shape to kill Rhindle. Grab the bat, get him to grab up Rhindle, and drag Rhindle's sorry butt down to where the scepter is. From there, it's a matter of catching Yorkle off guard and baiting Grundle with the magnet, bridge, or black key. You can kill the slower dragons without the bat's help.
I popped in Yars' Revenge for the sole purpose of rolling it in this weeks high score competition.

Days ago I got a "TopScore" on Raider of The Lost Ark (modded 2600Jr., livingroom full PAL setup) with 20.5 "steps" :thumbsup: and both the EasterEggs shown.
[ Track & Field controller used as right controller... much more comfortable than a second stick between knees ;) ]

post-10922-0-49308500-1430600730_thumb.jpg

Space Invaders (same setup) : 9970
... Which is actually 19970...
Yep, because the "real" difficulty in Space Invaders is been able to "stop" the counter on 9995 points, killing the "right" number of aliens and avoid that the same counter will reset to zero (at 10 000 points) !!! ... which it's happened in that game :-o !
I made it with one ship/life, but then I lost letting them invade while trying to reach that damn 9995 :_( !
post-10922-0-33697800-1430601305_thumb.jpg
Moon Patrol (same setup) : 165330
post-10922-0-93907900-1430601618_thumb.jpg
Vanguard (same setup) : 180060
post-10922-0-83472200-1430601730_thumb.jpg
Pitfall II (same setup) : 199000
[ white score counter over light blue bng and camera flash reflections forced me to shot the pic very close to the screen... ]
post-10922-0-06098700-1430601897_thumb.jpg
Pac-Man Arcade (garage/tavern/arcade room setup; CVBS+S-Video+Stereo+Internal Audio modded NTSC Heavy Sixer, PAL TV... LCD, unfortunately, because all my CRTs ***I have 8 of those TVs+++ does not sync an NTSC image over S-Video connection... :_( :_( :_( ) : 111390
post-10922-0-76506800-1430602138_thumb.jpg
and... yep, E.T. (garage/tavern/arcade room full-PAL setup : Light Sixer and CRT TV ***RF***) : 20189
post-10922-0-63797200-1430602430_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a heavy sixer at the flea market down the street for $15 to retire my 4 switch woody( The later suffered from a broke game select switch). Nice sharp color on the Sunnyvale model, so I fired up all my favorites Haunted House, Superman, Venture, Adventure, Defender, Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids, Berserk, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Space Invaders, Pitfall!, Donkey Kong, Keystone Kapers, E.T., Atlantis, Enduro and of course Riddle of the Sphinx.

I would like to try some of my other games but have yet to find any keyboard controllers. Also want to pick up Pitfall II Lost Caverns, Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator, River Raid, H.E.R.O., Krull, Wizard of Wor, and Stargate

• Like 1

I just picked up a heavy sixer at the flea market down the street for $15 to retire my 4 switch woody( The later suffered from a broke game select switch). Nice sharp color on the Sunnyvale model, so I fired up all my favorites Haunted House, Superman, Venture, Adventure, Defender, Ms. Pac-Man, Asteroids, Berserk, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Space Invaders, Pitfall!, Donkey Kong, Keystone Kapers, E.T., Atlantis, Enduro and of course Riddle of the Sphinx.

I would like to try some of my other games but have yet to find any keyboard controllers. Also want to pick up Pitfall II Lost Caverns, Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator, River Raid, H.E.R.O., Krull, Wizard of Wor, and Stargate

Nice score and heck of a deal on the Heavy Sixer! I have one myself and that is my true favorite. The color palette is much better on the 6 switchers. Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

Right now I am totally hooked on Sentinel, using my new light gun from Best Electronics. It's a really fantastic game once you play it with a light gun that's accurate and comfortable to use. Also, in spite of having been playing Atari 2600 for years I just discovered for the first time a few days ago that Warlords has a single player mode. I have no idea why I always thought it was 4 player only, but ever since I found out you could play single player I've been playing the heck out of this severely awesome game! :D

I am having a Ms. Pac Man scoring contest with a friend of mine online. He still needs to give me his score, then I'll play after and see if I can beat it. But it's a great game to have some friendly competition with. :)

Right now I am totally hooked on Sentinel, using my new light gun from Best Electronics. It's a really fantastic game once you play it with a light gun that's accurate and comfortable to use. Also, in spite of having been playing Atari 2600 for years I just discovered for the first time a few days ago that Warlords has a single player mode. I have no idea why I always thought it was 4 player only, but ever since I found out you could play single player I've been playing the heck out of this severely awesome game! :D

Sentinel eh? Interesting. You know that's the one game I,ve never tried but certainly want to. Looks fun in a Duck Hunt kinda way. Gotten add that to my bucket list. Oh yeah, I need a CRT TV too.

Anyway, I've been on a Battlezone kick. I love the 2600 port. It could pass for a primitive first person shooter. Because of the fluid 3D space. I find it superior to the arcade because of the sheer amount of tanks that can appear on the battlefield as opposed to the arcade's 1 tank at a time, despite having no objects to hide behind. Best use of 2600 hardware, IMO.

• Like 2

Sentinel eh? Interesting. You know that's the one game I,ve never tried but certainly want to. Looks fun in a Duck Hunt kinda way. Gotten add that to my bucket list. Oh yeah, I need a CRT TV too.

Anyway, I've been on a Battlezone kick. I love the 2600 port. It could pass for a primitive first person shooter. Because of the fluid 3D space. I find it superior to the arcade because of the sheer amount of tanks that can appear on the battlefield as opposed to the arcade's 1 tank at a time, despite having no objects to hide behind. Best use of 2600 hardware, IMO.

First off, I totally agree with you on Battlezone. The 2600 version is a lot more fun than the arcade version to me, and the action gets pretty intense pretty fast. I still can't decide if I like Battlezone or Robot Tank more, but both are great games in their own right.

Regarding Sentinel, if you can get your hands on a reasonably accurate light gun and a good CRT TV like a Sony Trinitron (the latter of which you can probably score for free on your local Craigs List) to use with your 2600 then Sentinel is definitely worth checking out. It's got 4 stages of shooting action with a nice smooth difficulty curve, end bosses at the end of each stage, and some really nice production value as you'd expect from a 1990 release. Catchy music, a proper title screen, a real ending, a pause feature (using the Color/B&W switch), power ups and hidden secrets you have to shoot to find, and all that good stuff. Sentinel isn't super difficult so you'll probably beat it after a few tries, but I think it's one I'll go back to play again and again to try and top my previous high score. I can safely say I enjoyed it a lot more than Duck Hunt on the NES, but not quite as much as later light gun titles like Area 51 and The House of the Dead.

Now, back to feeding my Centipede addiction while I wait for my reproduction copy of Shooting Arcade to arrive in the mail. Once I've spent some time with that one I'll be writing a full proper review of the Best Electronics light gun and both of the only two light gun games currently available for the 2600. :)

Edited by Jin

Berzerk, Pole Position, Ms. Pac-man, Centipede, Millipede, and Battlezone. Throw in Cosmic Ark too - love this game. I will also admit, I play Atari Pac-man constantly! If you told me as a kid, that it would be my favorite as an adult, I would of repeated the whole pigs flying thing!

I've recently revisited Haunted House...

• Like 1

Berzerk, Pole Position, Ms. Pac-man, Centipede, Millipede, and Battlezone. Throw in Cosmic Ark too - love this game. I will also admit, I play Atari Pac-man constantly! If you told me as a kid, that it would be my favorite as an adult, I would of repeated the whole pigs flying thing!

I've recently revisited Haunted House...

I still play Atari Pac-man. Just played a few rounds last night. It has an unexplained charm..which I will explain. It hits all the standard Atari quirks I grew up with. Garish/clashing colors, harsh sound effects, flicker up the ass, just one screen, ugly presentation and crude animation. All these combined into 4k give it the Atari charm that I absolutely love ;).

• Like 1

I received a copy of Super Cobra in the mail today, and after a good half hour or so of playing it I don't really see why it got such a negative review from some critics. As someone who loves vertical and horizontal scrolling shoot 'em ups from the 8 and 16 bit eras I might be a little biased, but I thought it was a fun and cleverly designed game. The controls were solid, I liked the early Xevious style bomb dropping and shooting mechanic, and the tight corridor navigation reminiscent of Gradius and R-Type. The fuel refill mechanic ala River Raid was quite cool as well. Lastly, I was especially impressed that the developer/s divided the game into 11 different stages; since breaking a shmup into stages was something you don't see a lot on the 2600. All in all I found Super Cobra to be a very fun and well designed game, and one that I'm sure I'll be playing often. It may not be Thunder Force III quality, but it's definitely the best horizontal scrolling shmup I've seen on the 2600 so far. :)