IGNORED

What 2600 games are you playing right now?

24Fanatic365

Because I am a huge procrastinator, I usually only play the games I do on my show, which this week is Waterworld. After Fireworld, this game is amazing. :) I did get some Adventure time in this week though, that was nice. I tried Kaboom too but my paddles need a major overhaul.

• Like 3

Calling Waterworld amazing is a huge indictment of just how AWFUL Fireworld actually is! I just happened on Kool-Aid man in the list of ROMs on my Harmony Cart the other day while looking for something new to play, and the next time I looked at my feed for the 2600 Game by Game Podcast on my phone, I realized you had covered it on the most recent show. Guess I need to download it and actually listen to it. I've been behind on episodes for a while now!

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got in some time on SpiderMan...

Gotta say, I wanted to love this game... But so far, I do NOT.

Will give it another shot tonight.

+1 on NOT loving SpiderMan, Opry99er. I had seen people say how much they loved this game on forums, and found that when I played it, I was like, "Nope. Not so much. Next game, please."

I always felt like I was totally missing something with Spiderman. I've sat down many times over the years and tried to put some time into it, usually after reading about how great it is. No matter what I always get frustrated after a few games and move on to something else. I'm not the most coordinated guy and I probably just lack the skills to control it properly, but I just don't get it.

I've found the technique to score and get past the green goblin...

If you remember that your web MUST latch onto a white surface and you may not "climb" per se, you start getting the feel for Spider Man's movements. Swinging to "save citizens" from the windows increases your bar, and you MUST avoid the Green Goblin at all costs... Diffusing bombs in the rafters can be tricky, as sometimes they just blow you up and you fall. During a fall, you can catch yourself with your web, but that is a learned skill... One which I do not care to learn.

The game has interesting elements, but overall, I just don't care enough to get good at it.

Tonight the boy and I had a marathon VCS session... He threw down the gauntlet, and I couldn't (in good conscience) say no...

The magic words in our house (between the two of us) are: "I challenge you to a high-score competition."

When these words are uttered, everything gets dropped, we stop what we're doing, and head to the basement. As is our custom, he selected the first game and I selected the second. Usually after we have our contest, we play a two-player game of some sort and finish it off with that.

Buck's selection: Grand Prix (Variation 1)

My best time: 41 seconds

His best time: 46 seconds

My selection: Seaquest

My best score: 24,730

His best score: 9,810

2 Player Game: Air-Sea Battle

Final tally:

Buck: 3 games won

Me: 2 games won

Three great Atari games, a fantastic time with the boy, and he handed me my a$$ in Air-Sea Battle. :) I won the day playing against the computer, but he bested me head to head, and I was NOT taking it easy.

• Like 1

He is 6. :) He reads all day while I am at work... We home school him, so he has time. When I get home, its either we go fishing or we play games... He teaches me something new every day. :)

I'm in your shoes. I have 3 boys. 6, 3 and 1. The 6 and 3 year old are home schooled. My six year old plays my Atari on the weekends (limited game time to keep his imagination strong), and he loves it. I have a high score sheet for his favorites, but he just likes to play, and doesn't care so much about the scores.

Pixelated graphics are the hot thing with minecraft but it's cool that my son know the true definition of pixelation with Atari :)

Yea... I started him off on consoles with the NES, then we moved to Genesis.

Recently we started collecting Atari carts because they are $0.99 at my local game shop.

He loves to read, so I explained to him that these games are like books.... You have to use your imagination and fill in what is not visually there with your mind. He got really excited about that. So we finally got an Atari console and since then, he really doesnt even want to play the NES or Genesis.

Now he wants to have high score competitions with dad when I get off work at night. :)

Guess it was a homebrew kinda day this afternoon...

Lady Bug

45727f98a1555830073716ef420a4c01.jpg

And Space Rocks

c5bdbe31482e5a1372aaff3713931185.jpg

And some good ol' Space Invaders mixed in for the fun of it. Cleared 5 screens and died on the 6th wave, which is an all time personal best for me!

973f52fc0cfba3180cbda6549d3e6238.jpg

Edited by 24Fanatic365

It's nice hearing about other members' kids getting a chance to enjoy these old games. My son is 8 and he's been playing a lot of Atari lately. He started on SNES and N64, but I finally got the basement into good enough shape to start bringing stuff out of storage. He's really taken to the 2600. He likes Fast Food (I think mostly for the burps and "you're getting fatter" messages.) He also plays a lot of Demon Attack, Seaquest, Donkey Kong, Kool-Aid Man and HERO.

Actually the newest system I have is the N64. I've asked him if he'd like to have a newer system (for me too obviously :D) but he says he just likes playing what we have. Lots of times he comes home from being with other groups of kids and complains that they're boring because all they want to do is sit around and play on their handheld systems.

Downloaded Dintar's Pac-Man 8K today, and it has officially unseated Pac-Man Arcade Enhanced, which I have been playing a butt ton of lately. After my initial foray into 8k, I fired up the original Atari release of Pac-Man (which I continue to vehemently defend as a great game for what it is), and it's incomprehensible that this is even on the same console! Good stuff, good stuff, indeed! Now if I could just make it to the 2nd cut scene...