IGNORED

A wish list of games/projects you like to see running....

post-6517-0-13810400-1418748055_thumb.png

And also my explanation wasn't about PFs and PMGs correct:

-> Screen using 40Bytes wide;

-> PFs (on the Playing Area top->bottom):

- BAK: black;

- PF0: white

- PF1: Lilac[DLI]Gray[DLI]dark gray[DLI]gray

- PF2: red

- PF3: blues (sky[DLIs]others blues)

-> PRIOR0 and PMGs (with some little re-adjustments the guys can go in front or behind eachother(s) just doing the masking between them on PFs by following the hardware priority of PRIOR0 (top->bottom - higher->lowest priority):

- Pale greenish guy [P0_dark pale green/P0-Oring-PF0_yellow/P0-Oring-PF1_pale green]

- Brownish guy guy [P1_dark brown/P1-Oring-PF0_brown/P1-Oring-PF1_light brown]

- Greenish guy [P2_green/P2-Oring 5th Player/PF3 Missiles_light brown/BAK_black]

- Bruce Lee [P3_pink/BAK_black]

- Dark Ninja [bAK_black]

Edited by José Pereira

• 3 weeks later...

I like to mention here (and probably again...) that I've always been a big fan of the coin-op Zaxxon (and Super Zaxxon) - and I was never happy with the versions that appeared for the Atari 800 etc computers. I do acknowledge how hard it would be to do any kind of faithful version - the best example being the C64 (of all the computer and console versions...) version - probably shows how it can be done.

The coin-op graphics being really hard to copy - with it's number of colours, resolution and details, etc. But then Blue Max showed how to clone the game - while adding new and different features, etc. Blue Max 2001 didn't cut it for me - it seems all a step backwards - with none of the elements working together well.

There is a fascination with designing Zaxxon like graphics - but putting a decent game together around it - would be very hard (I think) to accomplish, to get it working well.

Besides diagonal scrolling (I can only think one one other game - being Zaxxon like - done on the C-64 - which was not that successful? -- I've never tried playing it - Octapolis? or something like this...) - there would be the challenge of doing something 8-way scrolling (Raid on Bungling Bay) - or something like Thunderforce II (for Sega MegaDrive/Genesis) -or some kind of tank game in this format...

While I may not be that keen to dive into working on such projects (as there's still a ton of work left to do with AtariBLAST!) - I certainly would like to see others working on such like games...

Harvey

The C64 game would have been Leviathan

Another title who's ports to various machines seemed to result in a different one each time, was PaperBoy. Personally Iike the NES version. I think the A8 is capable of doing a reasonable version of the game with its diagonal scrolling but I would suspect some sacrifice on graphic quality of the player and enemies may result.

Edited by Wrathchild

3D and diagonal scrolling are two things I'll never get use to.

Pole Position really does need a descent looking car. Maybe someone can find a use for that missile that can stretch clear across the screen. Does Antic E have to cover the whole screen or can we have mix modes down the way?

post-17239-0-66476900-1420691763_thumb.png

The C64 game would have been Leviathan

Yeah, I can recall the graphics of Leviathan, but couldn't remember the name.

Having a quick look at Octapolis - it is a clone of Sanxion (C64) - which has excellent graphics - to me, Octapolis is a downgrade in it's graphics designs - while it is valiant effort at recreating the multi-view scroll of having side and top view scrolling windows. I always think that clones ought to try mixing it up/tweaking it to be something different - and/or better if possible. Always a very hard ask.

I know that being successful in what you are trying to do - rarely happens - but with most things - it is better to try, than not trying - different variations - which I'll call tweaking- which can be a bit of hit and miss - and takes up time. But doing things as an enthusiast - just for the sake of doing it for yourself - it may be possible to eventually find something that works?

A successful project as such - is to use several elements that work together well - and when you don't have enough elements working together - it remains a work-in-progress.

Harvey

3D and diagonal scrolling are two things I'll never get use to.

Pole Position really does need a descent looking car. Maybe someone can find a use for that missile that can stretch clear across the screen. Does Antic E have to cover the whole screen or can we have mix modes down the way?

Antic E seems to be too slow for such games, if you want something at 50 or 60 fps.

But a change from 1x4 (PMg) to 2x2 (Antic D Bitmap) resolution would give the posiblity to have more details and colour in the cars.

The problem with PolPos is the way it's all rendered. PF graphics is exclusive to the road and centreline, a kernal takes care of HScrol and colour changes to effect the movement.

Players are used up by the cars, you'll notice reuse there - 2 used per car, as such you never see more than 2 cars occupying the same vertical space. Missiles used for the signs.

It would be nice to use PF for more car detail at least for the human's car but that means render/remove required with regard to Hscrol offset. And the colour changes going on would upset things.

The game was done as it was to allow speed and smoothness but is inflexible in that adding stuff becomes real hard.

The problem with PolPos is the way it's all rendered. PF graphics is exclusive to the road and centreline, a kernal takes care of HScrol and colour changes to effect the movement.

Players are used up by the cars, you'll notice reuse there - 2 used per car, as such you never see more than 2 cars occupying the same vertical space. Missiles used for the signs.

It would be nice to use PF for more car detail at least for the human's car but that means render/remove required with regard to Hscrol offset. And the colour changes going on would upset things.

The game was done as it was to allow speed and smoothness but is inflexible in that adding stuff becomes real hard.

That's the weird stuff. The PMG is the weak part, using details, the PF is strong in using details. So they used the part that is weak for details, to create details, and the strong part for details, for no details at all. Additionally , they used the playfield in 48 char width , using the scrolling for the road.

Reversing everything, the PMg with shapes (no DMA), just controlling the horizontal position, and using the playfield for detalid graphics would also allow to use 32 bytes width.... Then you could chose between gr. 7 or gr. 12 .

and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of simply re-doing Pole Position - the other option can be, is to go for something like Roadblasters.

But why limit yourself to a specific game or type - do something a little bit different with it - if possible...

If you're adventuresome enough - have an option for it to work with a 2-button joystick - or better?

Harvey

Another title who's ports to various machines seemed to result in a different one each time, was PaperBoy. Personally Iike the NES version. I think the A8 is capable of doing a reasonable version of the game with its diagonal scrolling but I would suspect some sacrifice on graphic quality of the player and enemies may result.

Should be able to match the NES version at least in terms of graphics.

It plays pretty badly though, so we might want to at least aim higher in that respect

Should be able to match the NES version at least in terms of graphics.

It plays pretty badly though, so we might want to at least aim higher in that respect

Regarding the 1st street stage it seems like the NES version doesn't use more then 5 colors and some vertical changes (from house to house) with a large gap.

From a quick peek into a C64 video it looks like this version uses even fewer colors and no hi-res sprites. ;)

Question is of course is it worth it? Doesn't seem too exiting the game. I may post again when I took the time to watch the whole longplay.

EDIT:

Just realised I am converting the title picture from "Paperboy" with Rasterconverter since days. But totally out of context of this thread :)

It is surprisingly complex. Started with error 21 and now down to 11 after 4.3 billion iterations :)

Edited by Creature XL

Question is of course is it worth it? Doesn't seem too exiting the game. I may post again when I took the time to watch the whole longplay.

There are a few folks who swear by it as a game, but the one i'm thinking of right now would recommend looking at the C16 rather than the C64 version for anyone thinking about doing a port.

EDIT:

Just realised I am converting the title picture from "Paperboy" with Rasterconverter since days. But totally out of context of this thread :)

It is surprisingly complex. Started with error 21 and now down to 11 after 4.3 billion iterations :)

Checked that. The C64 version is now at 5.8 dist and evals 28M .... in some minutes.

Or is it about the NES Screen?

Checked that. The C64 version is now at 5.8 dist and evals 28M .... in some minutes.

Or is it about the NES Screen?

Honestly, I am not sure. I thought I grabbed it from a C64 site, but beleive me that I realized the colors aren't C64 palette.

Maybe someone has adjusted the colors to look better, is what I thought.

I'll add the current state.

However, I must say it looked better some days ago, but the door looks ugly :)

And TBH the destination picture has a flaw, the trousers have this wrong outline color. So I might be better of to start over after manipulating the source pic.

I'd say we should take this to the RC thread, shouldn't we?

post-26420-0-73678700-1422643484_thumb.png

I found the original arcade version ate my quarters faster than it deserved. Always seemed to be too hard. It was like everything made the delivery boy crash. I know other people who loved the game to death.

The video of the NES version has to be using a hack that disables collisions or the game is just plain stupid easy on the NES for some reason.

You really should take care of the sources, you use.

The picture, you imported is not really "C64". Importing a C64 picture means to have 16 colours at 160x200 pixels.

post-2756-0-40157100-1422648738_thumb.jpg

I'd say we should take this to the RC thread, shouldn't we?

Good idea. Particulary with "real" stuff ... ;)

Edited by emkay

You really should take care of the sources, you use.

The picture, you imported is not really "C64". Importing a C64 picture means to have 16 colours at 160x200 pixels.

Good idea. Particulary with "real" stuff ... ;)

Just to finish this up (for this thread). I searched it via google image search.

Did it again and found this (strange google URL on purpose):

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn3.spong.com%2Ftitle-screen%2Fp%2Fa%2Fpaperboy3968%2F_-Paperboy-C64-_.gif&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fspong.com%2Fgame%2Fscreens%2F11021697%2FPaperboy-C64%2F3968&h=256&w=384&tbnid=RV1K2pK3kmgOWM%3A&zoom=1&docid=1uf6xFlb22yvFM&ei=AvrLVNyzAcWfyAPHy4DYBA&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1996&page=1&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=0CDgQrQMwCA

It clearly states "C64" in multiple places. TBH I haven't bothered to do a 2nd search although I noticed the colors were way off of the normal C64 palette.

If it will turn out OK or if I start another conversion: posts will be in the RC thread. ;)

I'll post again here when I played "Paperboy" and made up my mind on the gameplay ;)

For me - Paperboy - was never that much of a fun game to play. The game design does look pretty good - but.

I guess I feel that you should have had more area to move about in - basically a tad more would have worked wonders.

Also to be able to do a bit more in the game - like some jumping maybe?

I don't think it will be easy to do decent graphics on A8 hardware - so it will be a real challenge to end up with something that stands out positively.

I will always say - don't be limited by the original game design - unless you are one fanatical fan of that game?

Nor by the original graphics - if you so choose.

Harvey

I will always say - don't be limited by the original game design - unless you are one fanatical fan of that game?

Nor by the original graphics - if you so choose.

I'm surprised that nobody ever had a go at a vertically scrolling version with a birds eye viewpoint. It'd probably make it a lot easier to code and to conceptualise.

• Like 1