IGNORED

CartDump (Jindrich)?

Larry

I'm not sure that I've ever used this program, but I now need to dump a cart. I have several different copies of this, and they all do the same thing (Using MyDos 3.x or 4.x). They load and then return to the DUP.SYS menu.

Are there any docs for this? I know it sounds like a simple program to use, but I'm getting nowhere fast. Maybe this is disk Sparta only?

Last, does anyone know if this program can detect "right cartridges?"

Piece of cake to dump a regular cart in Basic, but I'd like to see why I can't get this to work properly.

Thanks,

Larry

Haven't used it. A program that could dump Right cart would probably have that option. It's possible to have a 16K left cart or 8K in both slots.

They can be distinguished between to an extent in that a 16K left cart should ensure the cart flag at $9FFC isn't a zero.

AFAIK the only Right carts are the Monkey Wrench ones, they could just as easily be dumped from Dos (remembering the bug where some Doses can't binary-save Rom properly)

The other issue I should mention. Cart copy programs that require hotswap and were written for 400/800 might fail on XL. The OS keeps a constant watch on if the cart status has changed and will lockup or coldstart if it does. Disabling Stage 2 VBlank will stop it doing so.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I've ever used this program, but I now need to dump a cart. I have several different copies of this, and they all do the same thing (Using MyDos 3.x or 4.x). They load and then return to the DUP.SYS menu.

Are there any docs for this? I know it sounds like a simple program to use, but I'm getting nowhere fast. Maybe this is disk Sparta only?

Last, does anyone know if this program can detect "right cartridges?"

Piece of cake to dump a regular cart in Basic, but I'd like to see why I can't get this to work properly.

Thanks,

Larry

Can Maxflash Cartridge Studio combined with Maxflash USB Programming kit dump that particular cart?

I don't have the USB programming kit myself but I'm pretty sure I saw the options in Maxflash Cartridge Studio.

Hi Steve -- Yes, I went ahead and dumped it using the Maxflash Studio. No problem dumping it, but I'd still like to know why I can't get this program to work correctly. Docs are always soooo nice.

Monkey Wrench II. There are all kinds of dumps of the MW II, and they all appear to be a little different. Just curious.

Something I also found while looking into this -- nearly all the cart dumping programs were written for the 800. Could be for the reason that Rybags mentions. Maybe an easy solution would be to use an 800 OS like Omni view/mon?

-Larry

Hi Tregare-

Adapter? There was an adapter for Cartdump? I've Googled, but found nothing yet. I'll check at Steve Tucker's archive of the Jindrich site.

Thanks,

Larry

Edit: Found nothing in the Jindrich site info. Are you referring to the Maxflash USB adapter?

I've not heard of cart dumping adapters but I was wondering if a passthru cartridge with switches for RD4 and RD5 would have sufficed.

I'm just curious because the thought hot swapping cartridges still makes me cringe.

The Atarimax USB programmer can be used to dump cartridges and there is information about other methods here, including replacement firmware for an SDX cartridge.

PS:

I posted before I finished reading the thread, I notice that FULS has already posted the same link.

Edited by BillC