IGNORED

Mr. Do's Castle is a GOOD game

godzillajoe

OK, since we decided in another thread that this was a horrible game, I decided to play it for a bit.

As a fan of the arcade game, I LIKE this version

If you follow the manual and make sure MD's outer foot is in the gap between blocks, it's easier to knock them out, awesome

Kicking the ladders, that also takes practice

But don't ALL games dictate this? Are we all so jaded that any game where we can't roll the score after 3 plays, are terrible?

Another annoying thing is sometimes, you can create a situation where the enemies just run back and forth and you're STUCK down below with no way to knock out a block or even get killed to restart the level (this is the BIGGEST sin IMO)

But overall, a lot of fun.

Try it. Read the online manual here. Also, play FULL SCREEN if you're in a emu, makes lining things up easier.

• Like 1

Sorry, it's still a bad port. I love the arcade game, but the 2600 version isn't very good. The Colecovision got the best port while the 5200 version isn't too bad. I need to look into the MSX port but I imagine it will be close to the Colecovision version.

• Like 1

C64 port probably wins over the ColecoVision port for me. It is close though.

The 5200 version does not play or hold up as well.

The 2600 version, I really tried to even 'tolerate' it, but it's pretty bad.

Would really love to see a 7800 version...someday...and take the crown of best port.

I really liked Mr Do Castle in the Arcade (and Mr Do Wild Ride's)

I never owned the Atari 2600 game as a kid, but did try it out year ago on an emulator. I can't hardly remember it, but I do remember being disappointed.I'll have to give it a go again soon.

Even though I don't believe I wasn't too impressed when I did play it. I probably would have loved it as a kid though.

Popeye was a game that looked like ass and had less than great control that I still managed to have a lot of fun with.

Sorry, it's still a bad port. I love the arcade game, but the 2600 version isn't very good. The Colecovision got the best port while the 5200 version isn't too bad. I need to look into the MSX port but I imagine it will be close to the Colecovision version.

The Atari 800 version is the best.

I really like the Mr Do! games on most platforms. Mr Do's Castle on VCS is just a little too finicky for me though. If it was tweaked just a little bit to make it less fussy. I've really tried to get into it but the 'precision' required takes out some of the flow for me though...

However, since your drink and drug addled brain is recommending it I might just give it another try!

• Like 1

Everything's better with booze and drugs! :D

Seriously, this is a tough game in the arcade and the 2600 adds a few wrinkles.

Practice makes perfect though. I'm consistently hitting the 4th castle now

I think most people just suck at this game and write it off as terrible when if you give it some love and practice a bit you'll see it's not so bad.

RTFM and PRACTICE!

Honestly, it seems like somebody in marketing got ahold of an unfinished build, and said, "Good enough, let's ship it." (And this is coming from somebody that likes the 2600 version of Donkey Kong Jr.)

Personally, I think the C64 had the best version of the game, though the Colecovision version is excellent too.