IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

While I do have some games for the 7800, some of the ones I would like to find are a bit more expensive, such as ninja golf, I was wondering if there is a cartridge for the 7800 that uses sd to put the games on? if not, any idea if one will become available? Seems like the rest of the systems have them, but don't know of one for the 7800.

There was one made 12 or so years ago that was produced in low numbers and is expensive to buy when someone is looking to make a pile of cash. There is talk of a harmony cart like the 2600 of sorts for the 7800 that has lots of us waiting.

Its release date is hopefully in the next few years as not having a multi sd cart for the 7800 is easily the biggest drawback of playing the 7800. Until then get in line. I have no idea why no one has made one for the 7800. heck the intellivision has a couple multicarts?? no idea why? The a8bit computer has several as well.

http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml This cart sold out many years ago.

Batari is working on a Harmony flash cart for the 7800, which should include an emulated POKEY and work with every game that exists to date. I don't know about years, but soon in terms of months is probably an accurate guess.

I made an NVRAM based cart, which can be flashed with one game at a time, I designed it for developers in mind and not ROM collectors. A link to more info can be found in my signature, or the search feature with "MCP devcart", as the search term.

• Like 3

SD cards are often referred to as flash (memory) cards, and cartridges/multi-carts that are built utilizing SD cards are often called flash carts. I think there's just a misunderstanding and semantics at play here. The original Harmony uses SD cards. The Harmony Encore uses SD cards, and it is extremely probable that Harmony Concerto will be using SD cards as well.

SD is a type of flash memory format, and the dominant one for quite a number of years now.

• Like 3

In theory an adaptor could be made to allow using Atarimax flashcarts from the computer on the 7800.

Problem is though, they only use 8K address range which would limit what games could be run off them. Plus the banking is different - I imagine no existing 7800 games would be 8K visible with the entire range bankswitched.

Post #3...

"Batari is working on a Harmony flash cart for the 7800"

It is an SD cart. Flash is the type of memory the cart uses for it's temporary storage to feed the Console. It reads the roms from an SD card and places them in an internal flash memory, just like the Harmony cart for the 2600.

• Like 1

Should be ready early next year, I hope.

Got these in two weeks ago :) The hardware was redesigned from the ground up, and I have to rewrite much of the code too. When I have something more to show you all, I will.

But this will be the final major redesign. Really.

post-5792-0-78292900-1413344449_thumb.jpg

• Like 26

Should be ready early next year, I hope.

Got these in two weeks ago :) The hardware was redesigned from the ground up, and I have to rewrite much of the code too. When I have something more to show you all, I will.

But this will be the final major redesign. Really.

Looks Awsome! I'm curious why you chose to design the board for a full POKEY chip vs. putting your HOKEY components directly on the board.

I have a number of reasons for it, but one is that you can use a real POKEY if you want (Of course, I won't supply any real POKEY chips, I only have 2 or 3 of them!)

Is Concerto going to be sold with that spot empty or will it include a HOKEY? Or maybe it's optional so people can use their own POKEY's ?

Is Concerto going to be sold with that spot empty or will it include a HOKEY? Or maybe it's optional so people can use their own POKEY's ?

I'd assume there would an option. Al spoke of giving the Hokey option on AA releases as well. They probably haven't been produced yet though.