IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

I think the opposite the 7800 seems to work better hotter. Once you get maria warmed up she does whatever you want her too.

It is -33C with the wind chill right now and all I can say is no machine or human enjoys those temps.

Great point. It's been observed in the past that some game glitches go away when the 7800 in question is warmed up - Trebor demonstrated this with the Choplifter horizon glitch, and I believe others have mentioned it in reference to other glitches. It may not make a difference, but Concerto testers with problems should also try leaving the 7800 running a regular cart for 30 minutes prior, to warm up the deck.

• Like 1

I think I may have found a problem intermittently the internal ram test will fail and while I was on that program it passed the after checking several times without powering off. Please see attached pictures.. Bo idea why today they are sideways after uploading..

This is with your .bas utility program.

post-27194-0-06438900-1481388675_thumb.jpg

post-27194-0-68713400-1481388790_thumb.jpg

post-27194-0-10810000-1481388844_thumb.jpg

post-27194-0-01575700-1481388915_thumb.jpg

Interesting... I think it's not a true page 0 memory failure. The utility cart uses page 0 memory to test other RAM locations, so if page 0 fails, the utility automatically marks the other pages as failed. In your case it didn't do this, so somehow the page0 status got flipped after the test. It's probably the same thing that causes your games to run fast and act weird - possibly "ROM" integrity.

I wonder if it's the mirror test that flipped the zero page test somehow. Do you get the same intermittent result from the last official utility cart release?

The original test cart would crash much more often and never failed any tests.

This new rom will give a white screen or work perfectly.

Games like alien brigade will not get even into the title screen. it draws the hand and the hand does not move and freezes.

I've added an integrity test to the 7800 utility cart.

7800utilitycart.bas.a78

The integrity test confirms a crc-16 signature for each page of cart rom except for 3 of them. (the pages with the CRC data and the cart signature) The test runs continually, so if there's some sort of live-glitch in reading ROM, it should be pretty evident from the test.

• Like 2

Ok cool I should be able to try that test today...

Kids having a birthday party and the darn kids are drinking up all my mix!

Its a cool party tho she is turning 9 and its called dressed to the nines. All in dresses and all fancy everything wine glasses and red carpet etc..

They love it..

Always the same areas in red. Yes the --- moves all the time. I rechecked several times and let it run for 5 minutes.

edit correction.. it will change on another powerup.

the first test results in console info it said unknown bios now it shows ntsc1 4k bios.

and the integrity test results ate different.

Ya know something crazy? I left it on the cart integrity test. shut off repowered and then re ran the program and all cart integrity works.

So the I tried the adventure scroll demo. Worked perfectly for the first time ever.

I tried bentley bear. and loaded fine and can play but fire buttons do not work have to press up to jump and no sound of course as no pokey installed.

So I ask other testers to leave your 7800 running the cart integrity test for 10 minutes. then try other roms immediately after and see if you see any changes. I sure did!

• Like 2

...I tried bentley bear. and loaded fine and can play but fire buttons do not work have to press up to jump...

Check the difficulty switch setting for Bentley. I'm pretty sure the P1/Left Switch was set to "B"/LEFT position when Bentley was tested. ;)

Make sure the P1/Left Switch is set to the "A"/RIGHT position.

When the P1/Left Switch is set to the "B"/LEFT position, Up = Jump, and is intended for a joystick controller wired for one button (I.E. CX40).

The P2/Right Switch determines which button will map to Jump and which will map to Run/Shoot. If the P2/Right Switch is in the "A"/RIGHT position, Button 1 = Jump and Button 2 = Run/Shoot. If the P2/Right Switch is in the "B"/LEFT position, Button 1 = Run/Shoot and Button 2 = Jump.

Check the difficulty switch setting for Bentley. I'm pretty sure the P1/Left Switch was set to "B"/LEFT position when Bentley was tested. ;)

Make sure the P1/Left Switch is set to the "A"/RIGHT position.

The P2/Right Switch determines which button will map to Jump and which will map to Run/Shoot. If the P2/Right Switch is in the "A"/RIGHT, Button 1 = Jump and Button 2 = Run/Shoot. If the P2/Right Switch is in the "B"/LEFT position, Button 1 = Run/Shoot and Button 2 = Jump.

I tried fiddling with the difficulty switches to no avail. Once I got the gem hitting both buttons did not throw it. Maybe a rom or ram corruption.

I tried fiddling with the difficulty switches to no avail. Once I got the gem hitting both buttons did not throw it. Maybe a rom or ram corruption.

Did you try setting the difficulty switches prior to turning on the console? It won't work if changes are made in the middle of a Round.

I got it to work now without glitches after 15 or so loads.

He jumps and shoots now. level 1.8 did about 20 continues and made it to the witch 5 times and failed.. I can never make the jump for the powerup and without it the witch will run your health out. The level is near impossible with the basic gem.. what a hard game! I am sure in time I will beat level 1. Need luck to enter the level with a powerup and dont die before the witch.

I have left switch to the right and right switch to the left and that seems to work.

• Like 1

I think the opposite the 7800 seems to work better hotter. Once you get maria warmed up she does whatever you want her too.

It is -33C with the wind chill right now and all I can say is no machine or human enjoys those temps.

Holy freaking cow dude! And I thought it was bad here in the deep south. Finally got a chance to wear my leather jacket... Mid 30s (F) the other night. That's low single digits in Celcius. :P

= = = = = = = = = =

I just put my 7800 in the freezer and will test this theory in the morning. Hopefully condensation don't kill it... :skull:

Update: Chilling the 7800 to 0 degrees F before hooking it up didn't do anything at all to impact the compatibility. And I am NOT going to try pre-warming it in the oven. Maybe leave it in a hot car if it were summertime...

Running the integrity test, I noticed it was consistently the same eight bad sectors again and again after loading the ROM multiple times, with slight variations. I ran it for a couple hours, long enough presumably to raise it to room temps again. I took a pic, will post later. If other people's bad sectors are in similar locations, then it is something with the way the Concerto handles writes to the internal ROM storage.

Everette and I have both tested Concertos with two brands of memory chips, so that pretty much rules out a bad manufactured batch.

@Batari: do you think there is a way the test ROM could "dump" itself to SD card? Maybe we could learn something about how these ROMs are getting corrupted.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

Ya know something crazy? I left it on the cart integrity test. shut off repowered and then re ran the program and all cart integrity works.

So the I tried the adventure scroll demo. Worked perfectly for the first time ever.

I tried bentley bear. and loaded fine and can play but fire buttons do not work have to press up to jump and no sound of course as no pokey installed.

So I ask other testers to leave your 7800 running the cart integrity test for 10 minutes. then try other roms immediately after and see if you see any changes. I sure did!

this test had no effect on my 7800. Problem roms are still a problem after running the integrity test for 15 minutes.

this test had no effect on my 7800. Problem roms are still a problem after running the integrity test for 15 minutes.

Were there any red pages flagged in the integrity test? Did they change while running? Did they change after re-loading and re-running?

Can you run the internal ram test too?

The more data we have, the better the problem can be understood. There's no guarantee the same thing is causing failures for everybody.

You guys wanna snap a pic of the integrity test screen and post it?

You also say it is always the same after a power up?

Mine would only show 2 areas on the second time around testing and go to no bad areas after running long enough and repowering.

I found I had to repower to get a change in the red areas.

I played 7800 for 8 hours yesterday. I am getting that look now...ya know the one that says are you 9 or 39? :P

You guys wanna snap a pic of the integrity test screen and post it?

post-33189-0-47315000-1481474871_thumb.jpg

Very noticeable pattern here.

You also say it is always the same after a power up?

Pretty much. Sometimes D0 in the 4 column also goes red. Sometimes 90 in the 4 column stays green. Always same groupings of problem tiles that exhibit symptoms though, red tiles whereever rows 80, 90, C0, and D0 intersect with columns 0 and 4. Rest is always green.

Mine would only show 2 areas on the second time around testing and go to no bad areas after running long enough and repowering.

I froze my console in the freezer. Tested it. Same pattern. I left the test run for over six hours at ambient room temperature. Same pattern. I rebooted. Same pattern. So letting the console "warm up" has no discernible effect.

I found I had to repower to get a change in the red areas.

I played 7800 for 8 hours yesterday. I am getting that look now...ya know the one that says are you 9 or 39? :P

Nope, sorry. Repeatable errors. Glitches tend to be similar on specific games whenever I boot a ROM, but there are slight variances. Sometimes boot to black or garbage screen. Sometimes title screen only. Sometimes I get further in the game before it crashes or glitch up, but nothing runs perfect.

I even have playtested two Concerto carts with two brands of memory and same symptoms in games.

• Like 1