IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Well the community response here is tremendous; however, the results have me quite depressed. :_(

It's a process, and nothing to get depressed over. Most new hardware goes through it, though they generally don't do so in public like this.

TBH the 7800 has such a spotty compatibility track record, I find the current progress encouraging. Those with the worst problems have them during the loading phase, not while the cart is actively running - this should be easily fixed. Other users that don't have the loader issue report success without pokey in most commercial games.

It would be depressing if nobody was trying things out, and if the community didn't come together when batari's life hit a bump or two. Progress is being made. :)

Getting back on track - I thought at first the BBCQ+DKXM issue might be a 144k/rom@4000 problem, but it looks like Crossbow is reported to work on 78001987's unit, and it's one of the few games in the same format.

Can someone please try this simple POKEY test with Concerto, and report if it works, and if it works what the POKEY BASE was reported as?

pokey.bas.a78

• Like 5

So I threw my Pokey back into the Concerto to try out the above files.

The only two games that Concerto correctly identifies with a Pokey @ 4000 are Ball Blazer and Beef Drop Demo, They both play with Pokey sound.

Commando does not recognize the Pokey and freezes in various percentages during loading. Without the Pokey it loads fine and plays with only TIA sound.

RevEng, The Pokey Test file only gives me a white screen, tried many times. Also your 7800utility does not detect the Pokey.

The DKXM (concerto) from the post above plays with no sound. I was not able to get BBCQ to completely load to try out.

With the Pokey installed I have many loading problems with games freezing at various percentages.

This sounds like a bus loading or timing problem to me. RevEng what do you think and any ideas of what to try next?

78001987, what does your concerto say when loading Commando? Does it detect Pokey? Pokey sound plays on your Commando/Concerto correct?

• Like 1

RevEng, The Pokey Test file only gives me a white screen, tried many times. Also your 7800utility does not detect the Pokey.

The DKXM (concerto) from the post above plays with no sound. I was not able to get BBCQ to completely load to try out.

With the Pokey installed I have many loading problems with games freezing at various percentages.

This sounds like a bus loading or timing problem to me. RevEng what do you think and any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks for running the tests and the detailed report! I have a couple ideas. First, can you also try the attached version of the POKEY test?

pokey.4000.a78

Second, can you run the 7800 Utility Cart integrity test with POKEY installed? Check to see if you get more RED blocks with POKEY installed than with POKEY not installed, if the RED blocks flicker, etc. It may just be that POKEY makes the known loader issue worse, in which case the RED blocks won't change or flicker as you watch. (but will change if you reload the Utility Cart ROM)

If someone else could also run both POKEY tests it would be appreciated. It would be really useful to see if the same results are experienced.

• Like 1

So I threw my Pokey back into the Concerto to try out the above files.

The only two games that Concerto correctly identifies with a Pokey @ 4000 are Ball Blazer and Beef Drop Demo, They both play with Pokey sound.

Commando does not recognize the Pokey and freezes in various percentages during loading. Without the Pokey it loads fine and plays with only TIA sound.

78001987, what does your concerto say when loading Commando? Does it detect Pokey? Pokey sound plays on your Commando/Concerto correct?

commando loads and plays pokey sound, but I get the same results as you for all the others.

One note about that last rom of DKXM posted - although pokey sound still doesn't work on concerto, one thing is fixed, namely that the "How High Can You Get?" Screen displays correctly now. On all previous roms, that screen would display dotted lines , almost like graphing points all across the screen background where there weren't graphics. Now the background is black as intended.

One note about that last rom of DKXM posted - although pokey sound still doesn't work on concerto, one thing is fixed, namely that the "How High Can You Get?" Screen displays correctly now. On all previous roms, that screen would display dotted lines , almost like graphing points all across the screen background where there weren't graphics. Now the background is black as intended.

This is my experience a well

So with my Pokey installed, I have a lot more freezing while going through the menu and a lot more games that just stop at 10-20% of loading.

With the Pokey installed I still get all green during the Cart Integrity Test.

I tried the Pokey.4000.A78 and after a lot of loading problems the couple times I did get it to completely load, I get a black screen and a steady tone. Is this what it should do? It correctly detects the Pokey @4000. Other Files that correctly detect and work with the pokey include:

Pac-man Collection (Pokey) (20150531)

Pac-man 320 (Pokey) (20110808)

Ms. Pac-man 320 (Pokey) (20110808)

Pokey (sample) (20140301)

Sound Test (20140808)

Super Circus Atari Age (POKEY 4000) [20140113]

A warm welcome (20130612) had a hard time loading and when it did played steady tone like Pokey.4000.A78.

Anyone else having freezing while going through the menu and loading stopping @ 10-30 percent?

So with my Pokey installed, I have a lot more freezing while going through the menu and a lot more games that just stop at 10-20% of loading.

I tried the Pokey.4000.A78 and after a lot of loading problems the couple times I did get it to completely load, I get a black screen and a steady tone. Is this what it should do?

Thanks again for the testing!

The Pokey.4000.a78 should report back where it found the pokey (ie. at 4000) and play a song. It sounds like it got part way there (the pokey detection) and crashed during actually playing the first note.

The difference between it and the previous test is in the header - the previous test has a header that requests pokey@450, the latest test has a header that requests pokey@4000, but otherwise use the same code.

It's a fairly limited sample size, but based on your results it seems that there's an issue with Concerto's pokey@450 code. It may not like the XCTRL register setting, or there may be some other issue.

Hopefully we'll hear back from some others, but at least we know from your integrity test that the POKEY issue isn't related to the loader issue. I'm thinking the POKEY issue may be power related. It doesn't really make sense that for pokey to be affecting the Concerto menu and non-POKEY ROMs otherwise.

• Like 1

I was going to try the .90 BIOS, it is a file that ends in .CBI . Does anyone remember the correct way of installing this?

Batari's instructions for flashing the BIOS, taken from this post, are below...

"To flash this BIOS, put it on your SD card and select the file as if it were a game. It will flash the BIOS and say "Press a button to reboot." The reboot feature may not work correctly so you may need to manually power cycle the system after the reflash."

I tried the Pokey.4000.A78 and after a lot of loading problems the couple times I did get it to completely load, I get a black screen and a steady tone. Is this what it should do? It correctly detects the Pokey @4000. Other Files that correctly detect and work with the pokey include:

Pac-man Collection (Pokey) (20150531)

Pac-man 320 (Pokey) (20110808)

Ms. Pac-man 320 (Pokey) (20110808)

Pokey (sample) (20140301)

Sound Test (20140808)

Super Circus Atari Age (POKEY 4000) [20140113]

A warm welcome (20130612) had a hard time loading and when it did played steady tone like Pokey.4000.A78.

Anyone else having freezing while going through the menu and loading stopping @ 10-30 percent?

I get the exact same results as you, except the menu doesn't freeze, but I do get loading stops somewhere between 20-70% every so often when pokey is installed. No loading issues at att without pokey, but same game in compatibilitys as mentioned earlier (basketbrawl, alien brigade, latest version of B*nQ)

For what it's worth - the only games that properly load Pokey @ $4000 are non-Supergame 32k games.

Any combination of supergame and pokey and rom at $4000 or $450 fails to load pokey.

Except Commando. It is a supergame, and pokey audio plays... weird.

That actually makes sense.

There are only 3 games that are 'supergames' and utilize POKEY: Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, Commando, and Donkey Kong PK-XM.

From those games, Commando does not utilize ROM@4000; BBCQ and DKPKXM does utilize ROM@4000.

Outside of the recently announced support for a combination $4000 ROM reads, which are sent to the flash cart memory, and $4000 writes to the POKEY, under Matoes flashcart, there is only one other public cartridge PCB in existence that supports such a hardware combination. It is an early beta version of Donkey Kong PK-XM that went for auction on GameGavel some time ago.

Besides the above, currently there is no other public hardware that support a $4000 ROM reads and $4000 POKEY writes combination. It will not work with any other publicly provided hardware, including any publicly made available firmware for the Concerto.

What that leaves then is the current firmware for the Concerto is not handling POKEY@$0450 and ROM@$4000 (Or simply is just not handling POKEY@0450). Of course, if Fred was to find a way through a firmware update to support the high/low switch of $4000 read/writes, certainly that would be more than welcomed as well.

• Like 1

MCP Bios uses POKEY outside the normal memory range, there are a ton of songs on it, it self modifies and changes tunes every time it is turned on. ;P

Have not come across a console it does not work on. My VersaBoard is pretty solid.

• Like 2