IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Thanks. It sounds as if it's not quite there. I am excited to hear of a final fix!

I currently have two home made EPROM carts. One is BallBlazer (32K and under POKEY) and DK Jr for 64K and under (Ignore the Jinks label. Cut the DK Jr case wrong)

At least I can play some Pokey Homebrew, along with my Mario Bros hack!

post-13491-0-21754100-1488376236_thumb.jpg post-13491-0-48389900-1488376349_thumb.jpg

I would like to be able to play 128K games, but I am having issues. I am a little foggy on the jumper settings.

I tried 2, 64K EPROMS in a Karateka cart. I split KLAX into two, 64K parts.

It KIND of works [VIDEO HERE].

Is it a fluke that this works at all, or am I possibly a jumper away from success?

Any help appreciated.

post-13491-0-80141100-1488376507_thumb.jpg

Mariobros(TM)MarioRight11.a78

• Like 1

Thanks. It sounds as if it's not quite there. I am excited to hear of a final fix!

I currently have two home made EPROM carts. One is BallBlazer (32K and under POKEY) and DK Jr for 64K and under (Ignore the Jinks label. Cut the DK Jr case wrong)

At least I can play some Pokey Homebrew, along with my Mario Bros hack!

attachicon.gif20170211_165208.jpg attachicon.gif20170211_161459.jpg

I would like to be able to play 128K games, but I am having issues. I am a little foggy on the jumper settings.

I tried 2, 64K EPROMS in a Karateka cart. I split KLAX into two, 64K parts.

It KIND of works [VIDEO HERE].

Is it a fluke that this works at all, or am I possibly a jumper away from success?

Any help appreciated.

attachicon.gif20170226_195331.jpg

It is a fluke that KLAX is partially running. The bottom spot on that board is designed for an 8k/16k RAM or 16k ROM. It's mapped to $4000 and that can't be changed. The top spot is intended for a 128K ROM. You can also use 64K ROM's in that spot which is what I did with Donkey Kong XM. The problem is that 128K EPROM's are all 32 pin designs and that board was made for a 28 pin mask ROM. I think there might be adapter boards available that will let you plug a 32pin EPROM into a 28pin.

It is a fluke that KLAX is partially running. The bottom spot on that board is designed for an 8k/16k RAM or 16k ROM. It's mapped to $4000 and that can't be changed. The top spot is intended for a 128K ROM. You can also use 64K ROM's in that spot which is what I did with Donkey Kong XM. The problem is that 128K EPROM's are all 32 pin designs and that board was made for a 28 pin mask ROM. I think there might be adapter boards available that will let you plug a 32pin EPROM into a 28pin.

Thanks. I figured there would be more to it. I didn't realize all EPROMS are 32 pin. Not sure I understand what you did with DK XM. Isn't that around 144K?

If I leave the chip in the bottom socket and can find a 128K adapter, would that work?

Is there a better way for me to check out the > 64K games out on the actual hardware?

Thanks. I figured there would be more to it. I didn't realize all EPROMS are 32 pin. Not sure I understand what you did with DK XM. Isn't that around 144K?

If I leave the chip in the bottom socket and can find a 128K adapter, would that work?

Is there a better way for me to check out the > 64K games out on the actual hardware?

I've never seen a 128k EPROM in a 28 pin DIP. It might be possible if the chip select doubled as the program pin, but I havn't personally seen one. DK XM is actually 64K + 16K. The A78 file is 144K because there is no 64K + 16K file format. I just made it work. If you want to use that board for for 128k or 144k games, my recommendation is to find and 28pin adapter for the 32pin EPROM.

Klax is a special beast, due to timing, if you want a reliable running repro, you need a Sentinel or Ninja Golf PCB and some jumper wires.

This one was a pain in my neck, when I designed my boards, but in the end it worked out just fine on my boards.

Klax is a special beast, due to timing, if you want a reliable running repro, you need a Sentinel or Ninja Golf PCB and some jumper wires.

This one was a pain in my neck, when I designed my boards, but in the end it worked out just fine on my boards.

Ace Of Aces or Fight Night as well as they both come on a 595.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a longshot, but anybody know if the Harmony Encore BIOS will work on the Concerto, and just make it into a pure 2600-mode flash cart (with extra pins) until the 7800 ROM corruption bugs get fixed? I thought I'd ask, or would I run the risk of bricking the device?

2600 games (those that don't use fancy mappers) load flawlessly on my Concerto, but 7800 is corrupted and buggy / crashy ROMs. I haven't touched it in months, so I figured I might could breath life into it that way.

I dropped way too much on an Analogue NT Mini. As a result, I now need to free up some funds - and the Harmony Concerto has become somewhat redundant in the process.

I have not put a lot of time in testing it (nor have I installed a POKEY), but my Concerto seemed to work fine with my two unmodded 7800s and all of the goodroms images I tried it with.

All that to say, if anyone is interested in purchasing it, please PM me. I'll sell it for what I paid for it - $129.99 plus shipping.

• Like 1

I dropped way too much on an Analogue NT Mini. As a result, I now need to free up some funds - and the Harmony Concerto has become somewhat redundant in the process.

I have not put a lot of time in testing it (nor have I installed a POKEY), but my Concerto seemed to work fine with my two unmodded 7800s and all of the goodroms images I tried it with.

All that to say, if anyone is interested in purchasing it, please PM me. I'll sell it for what I paid for it - $129.99 plus shipping.

Seconded. I am offering up mine as well. $129 w/ free shipping. :cool:

As someone mainly looking to run Roms on my 7800, and just looking into the flash cart world of it, is the concerto a good option, what are its limitations, and should I wait for something better? I have a regular harmony and many other flash carts but nothing for my 7800.

I love my Concerto with POKEY. It didn't work with my 7800, so I got a different 7800- problem solved. It works just like a Harmony, for the most part.

There is some minor random weirdness (Double Dragon resets at random, a couple homebrews don't load etc) but I'd say I get 90-95% compatibility. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to need more frequent cleaning vs Harmony, but I don't regret my purchase at all. Your mileage may vary.

I love my Concerto with POKEY. It didn't work with my 7800, so I got a different 7800- problem solved. It works just like a Harmony, for the most part.

There is some minor random weirdness (Double Dragon resets at random, a couple homebrews don't load etc) but I'd say I get 90-95% compatibility. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to need more frequent cleaning vs Harmony, but I don't regret my purchase at all. Your mileage may vary.

Have to agree with Toilettunes your mileage will vary with Concerto. I too had to get another 7800 to use it and it plays about 90% OK. Unlike Toiletunes, mine does not work with Pokey installed. It stops the loading process on most games.

Anyways its been a long time since we have heard from Fred and people are starting to sell there Concertos. There is also hope that SaintT will have a working cartridge eventually.

Fred, we would really like a quick update. Any word would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Mine works with Pokey installed, but every 7800 game I try to load gets corrupted when I flash the ROM. Ironically this is not the case with 2600 games. Unlike some users, inserting or removing the Pokey makes no difference with regards to compatibility. I've got a very nice Best AV modded 7800 that works with most everything including homebrew (Reindeer Rescue spazzes out though), so getting another console is not currently on the cards for me. If Batari could fix the ROM corruption issue I am experiencing, it would be perfect. At this point, I'm honestly tempted to just flash the Harmony Encore BIOS to it and use it for 2600 games. I've heard it will accept the Harmony BIOS, but haven't tried it yet.

At this point, I'm honestly tempted to just flash the Harmony Encore BIOS to it and use it for 2600 games. I've heard it will accept the Harmony BIOS, but haven't tried it yet.

I can now confirm this works. If anyone wants a "reliable" flash cart to play 2600 games on their 7800, follow the instructions in this post, but with the Concerto hardware:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156500-latest-harmony-cart-software/?p=1920256

You'll need a micro USB cable, and the Harmony update tool, along with the EEPROM and BIOS files (provided in first post). I'm gonna wait until a more stable BIOS is provided, or the hardware gets updated to fix the corruption issues. In the mean time, I've got a perfectly good 2600 flash cart, that only plays on a 7800.

Pity it won't work on a 2600 without sawing the extra pins off... :ponder:

I can now confirm this works. If anyone wants a "reliable" flash cart to play 2600 games on their 7800, follow the instructions in this post, but with the Concerto hardware:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156500-latest-harmony-cart-software/?p=1920256

You'll need a micro USB cable, and the Harmony update tool, along with the EEPROM and BIOS files (provided in first post). I'm gonna wait until a more stable BIOS is provided, or the hardware gets updated to fix the corruption issues. In the mean time, I've got a perfectly good 2600 flash cart, that only plays on a 7800.

Pity it won't work on a 2600 without sawing the extra pins off... :ponder:

The latest Harmony Programming Tool is now on GitHub, in that post that you linked, but here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156500-latest-harmony-cart-software/?p=3663844

As for "more stable BIOS", the one in the GitHub program/asm folder is only labeled hbios_NTSC.bin but it is hbios_105_NTSC.bin, there are also betas and a final of hbios_106_NTSC.bin

Do you know which BIOS version you used?

Edited by iesposta

The latest Harmony Programming Tool is now on GitHub, in that post that you linked, but here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/156500-latest-harmony-cart-software/?p=3663844

As for "more stable BIOS", the one in the GitHub program/asm folder is only labeled hbios_NTSC.bin but it is hbios_105_NTSC.bin, there are also betas and a final of hbios_106_NTSC.bin

Do you know which BIOS version you used?

I wanna say I used 106 but I'll have to confirm it later.

I confirmed the "bus stuffing" 2600 demos working on my 7800 at least; can't check my 2600 currently, until I locate my old Harmony cart.