IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Ntsc. :P

No I just don't understand destroying stuff to make a statement. People have been pestering batari from day one and demanding that they owe them a 7800 concerto.

Just strange that when you metioned you might make one that the masses are not demanding daily reports and project competetion dates.

I guess what I should have said was this.

Great you wrecked your concerto and now there is no option for a 7800 multicart for a possibly years.

And left it at that.

The cheap shot on SainT was unwarranted. He's been nothing but professional and deferential.

• Like 2

I should make videos of the concerto playing flappy bird, bentley bear, graze, etc. But I am too lazy..plus it plays tons of 2600 games..

Using it to try out 7800 demos is amazing..

The colours on flappy bird are amazing!

The cheap shot on SainT was unwarranted. He's been nothing but professional and deferential.

Thats why I reworded it.

The 7800 may be the only system that does not have a multicart widely available.

It seems like every console has one always seemed strange there was nothing for the 7800 for the last 14 years.

Yet being able to play all 2600 and 7800 games with one cart has to be the best multicart ever for an atari guy anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I browsed through this thread, trying to weed out the nonsense and it got pretty tedious, so I'll just ask outright....

Am I correct in assuming that there will not be any more Concertos produced, then? Is the project over and done with?

I browsed through this thread, trying to weed out the nonsense and it got pretty tedious, so I'll just ask outright....

Am I correct in assuming that there will not be any more Concertos produced, then? Is the project over and done with?

Here's the most current from Batari:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230751-sd-cartridge-for-7800/page-43?do=findComment&comment=3651196

Hi all,

I have not been able to work on Concerto lately. It's been a profoundly bad year for many reasons but I won't get into that now. I have high hopes for 2017 though!

Hi all,

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 1

I have decided to sell my concerto, it is working but not in a cartridge case. PM me or see my Marketplace ad here on AA

I have informed Fred about that a long time ago (I got a couple of the early ones, which is when I figured out the issue and eventually sent the second one to Al). I told him he is free to just copy my cart connector. So, that should be fixed in the final version, if he gets back to it. :)

I have informed Fred about that a long time ago (I got a couple of the early ones, which is when I figured out the issue and eventually sent the second one to Al). I told him he is free to just copy my cart connector. So, that should be fixed in the final version, if he gets back to it. :)

Cool. So a firmware update is not going to cut it. Hopefully one day the final version is made.

CPUWIZ, not sure what you are talking about, is it something with the physical layout of the circuit board?

I just meant to say mine in not in a game cartridge case.

The way you phrased it sounded like yours works, but not in a cartridge case.

Re-phased: I have decided to sell my concerto, It does not come in a plastic cartridge shell. If you want this you have to sacrifice a game cartridge and drill/dremel the slots.( See Cosmic Stardust earlier posting, he made his own shell) This is the PCB version. PM me or see my Marketplace ad here on AA.

The concerto works fine and with the proper 7800 (see ad) plays 90% of all Atari and Homebrew files.

• Like 1

Oh I was just sitting here with my dremel and reasearching which pins to cut off and thought you finally figured it out.

LOL

Bottom line, if you compare one of my cartridge board connectors to the one from the Concerto, you will see the difference! There are many nuances to pay attention to, if you want to produce something fairly solid for the 7800. RAM is a major pisser too, if you don't get it right. In fact, I have so far only found one type of narrow SRAM, that works with Plutos 100% (other ones work fine with Sirius), on the VersaBoard. Not that I care about that much, since I have the MegaCart+ RAM boards for that type of thing anyway.

• Like 2

Oh I was just sitting here with my dremel and reasearching which pins to cut off and thought you finally figured it out.

Don't do it; it still won't fit in a 2600 after modification anyway. Makes a nice Harmony Encore when loaded with the Harmony firmware either way, even if only usable on a 7800... :roll:

The concerto works fine and with the proper 7800 (see ad) plays 90% of all Atari and Homebrew files.

Every game ROM I played got corrupted on my 7800. Buying another console was not an option.

Every game ROM I played got corrupted on my 7800. Buying another console was not an option.

He's also selling a 7800 that works with the concerto for only $25 so it would be one stop shopping if someone felt so inclined.

• Like 1

He's also selling a 7800 that works with the concerto for only $25 so it would be one stop shopping if someone felt so inclined.

Is there a serial model that has been the most rigorously tested and is the most successful?

Edited by Swami

Read back about six months in this very thread. Lots of testing results by early users.

Unfortunately, after reading the whole 1000+ posts on a couple threads, the answer according to info on these threads appears to be 'no.' I think maybe three posters mention their serial number. Another person said their label was missing. Like a year ago, batari said it seemed random within a particular model because of variations in chip and component sources within the model. Variarions in roms, removing pokey helps on Everett's and some other unknown models posted. On Kosmic Stardust's it does not, but don't know his serial number.This might have been missed or forgotten in one of the 1000 posts, I suppose. I think Everett is the only one who posted using an X model, so no info on how universal his 90% is.However, I am glad Evertett did not cut the pins off his Concerto Cart, as he briefly though about, as I am now the proud owner of it and the shabby 7800 that could. Although please do not think of any of my comments as disparaging; I know it is practically impossible to organize anything really scientific and really tedious on a forum and in people's often rare and precious spare time. I suppose what I was wondering in a poorly specified manner is if anything behind-the-scenes had sprung up for early adopters. Maybe there is no new behind-the-scenes info not related on the board.

Edited by Swami

It looks like someone has mad search skills, much better than mine. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I haphazardly missed an important page here and there by mistake

Also, from my review, I note that choosing the right sd card is important as some are much less compatible. On an anthropological note, it seems in informal discussion, topics seem to be discussed in circular arrangements for a couple days, move on to another and are then revisited a few months later, with epiphanies entering in here and there .

I think I will try to find either another X model or an A3, since I am kind of a nut about having a backup for retroware, and would find it interesting to compare.

Edited by Swami

.However, I am glad Evertett did not cut the pins off his Concerto Cart, as he briefly though about, as I am now the proud owner of it and the shabby 7800 that could.

Yeah I took one for the team on that mod idea. The PCB with cut pins doesn't have clearance to fit in a 2600 without modification to the cart loader, however anyone having issues with their Concerto working feel free to load the Harmony BIOS file onto their Concerto and use it to play 2600 games as the hardware is backwards compatible and the BIOS downgrade is completely reversible.

As for the serials, I mentioned mine earlier and the PCB revision, but the actual serial numbers are not important as the PCB revisions. There is evidence the shells and the PCBs may have even been manufactured at different times or plants prior to assembly, so there is no guarantee that a certain range of serial numbers will get the same PCB revision, even if this information was available, which is fleeting at best. There is no way of knowing what's under the hood without opening the console and examining the PCB. Even then, two PCBs could be the same revision and one works while the other doesn't due to individual tolerances of the parts not being the same between boards.

As for the serials, I mentioned mine earlier and the PCB revision, but the actual serial numbers are not important as the PCB revisions. There is evidence the shells and the PCBs may have even been manufactured at different times or plants prior to assembly, so there is no guarantee that a certain range of serial numbers will get the same PCB revision, even if this information was available, which is fleeting at best. There is no way of knowing what's under the hood without opening the console and examining the PCB. Even then, two PCBs could be the same revision and one works while the other doesn't due to individual tolerances of the parts not being the same between boards.

Indeed! I recently paid a relative pittance for a working 7800 in a broken case (top is okay, bottom is crushed and missing pieces). When I disassembled the board (which came in a case with an A1 serial number without even an opening for the Expansion port), it had a part number suffix of -002 (the suffix on my AT-84 machine is -001), and it DOES have the Expansion interface installed, despite the case plastics. Of course, I don't have any way to compare compatibility with a Concerto.

Totally accurate in regards to the revisions not matching up to actual dates. My original 7800 that I received for my birthday back in '87 (Could have been '88). Does not have the opening for the expansion port in the case and the serial dates it as a later made 7800. However, the mainboard inside features all socketed chips and shows an '84 date stamp on it and appears to be one of the older '84 made 7800 mainboards. So...it was either old stock put into a new case, or as the added resistors on the bottom of the mainboard elude to, it was a customer return that was repaired at Atari, and then later sold back out as new. (I'm leaning on this theory to be honest...).

But then the other 7800 that I use the most and is heavily modded, has the silkscreen and VIAs for the expansion connector but no connector and also did NOT have socketed chips originally. But it still has some of the original '84 designed mainboard elements in it. So honestly the serials do not seem to be the best indication of compatibility. I would have like to have gotten a Concerto strictly to test between my two 7800s and report the results to help with that, but that isn't like to happen as I don't honestly want to buy one currently and it is doubtful anyone would lend theirs out to me for testing.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

There is no way of knowing what's under the hood without opening the console and examining the PCB. Even then, two PCBs could be the same revision and one works while the other doesn't due to individual tolerances of the parts not being the same between boards.

That is 100% true, in most cases you will need to remove the entire RF shielding as well. Serial numbers are only a rough guess.