IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

I would try just the regulator swap first. Interested to hear your results on this modified system.

yeah - so the results were shit. The 1.5amp regulator made the system much worse. Concerto mostly would black screen after the bios Atari logo. When it did go to the opening disclaimer page, it would crash. Never got to the menu once. Harmony cart wouldnt load at all. On regular carts, Colors were weird and overdriven. Put the old regulator back in and everything was back to normal. So yeah - that didnt work. Edited by DrSidneyZweibel
  • Like 2

yeah - so the results were shit. The 1.5amp regulator made the system mush worse. Concerto mostly would black screen after the bios Atari logo. When it did go to the opening disclaimer page, it would crash. Never got to the menu once. Harmony cart wouldnt load at all. Colors were weird and overdriven. Put the old regulator back in and everything was back to normal. So yeah - that didnt work.

That's interesting. What brand and p/n was the regulator.

• Like 2

That's interesting. What brand and p/n was the regulator.

Sounds like a China knockoff, brand won't matter, they copy everything. Shit, look at the ESP8266's from China, they even fake the FCC stamp, those modules are not certified, trust me.

• Like 1

Yeah..that is strange. As I was running a 1.5amp output regulator in mine until I changed it out with one of the DC-DC buck converters which, is what it runs off now. Where did you order the regulators from?

When getting 7805s now, if I need anything more than an amp, I'm just picking up 2amp output versions. They have been fan effing tastic in my Genesis.

• Like 1

Take a look at the regulator's output from the controller port beforr just assuming stuff. Mine was liie 5V no cart, 4.99V Concerto. Needless to say, the regulator was doing it's job.

No offense, but I'm not really looking for advice from someone who mutilated a rare sd cart prototype because of impatience.

The voltage isn't in question here. it's the amperage.

Yeah..that is strange. As I was running a 1.5amp output regulator in mine until I changed it out with one of the DC-DC buck converters which, is what it runs off now. Where did you order the regulators from?

When getting 7805s now, if I need anything more than an amp, I'm just picking up 2amp output versions. They have been fan effing tastic in my Genesis.

I got them off ebay. Seller was in my home state, not overseas. it's entirely possible they are knockoffs with dodgy output. well. at least they were cheap.

I got them off ebay. Seller was in my home state, not overseas. it's entirely possible they are knockoffs with dodgy output. well. at least they were cheap.

Would a photo of the board of my 7800 X-serial that works with the Concerto (-POKEY) for all games help? I could also take one of the one that doesn't work for comparison, but I am beginning to wonder if my dysfunctional X-serial may just need a good cleaning, seeing how the Concerto is so finicky and the dysfunctional X-serial is a recent acquisition. Its not really a dysfunctional console, just dysfunctional with the Concerto.

No offense, but I'm not really looking for advice from someone who mutilated a rare sd cart prototype because of impatience.

No offense, but starting a comment with "no offense" and then posting an offensive comment is pretty silly.. ;-)

• Like 2

Take a look at the regulator's output from the controller port beforr just assuming stuff. Mine was liie 5V no cart, 4.99V Concerto. Needless to say, the regulator was doing it's job.

You can still have +5 showing up...but that doesn't mean that the actual current was correct, which would be harder to measure without taking the +5 output from the regulator out of the circuit and measuring. I say he should try a different 7805 from somewhere else.

I ordered up my 2amp output 7805s from Mouser i think? Course you would want to find more stuff to order to make the shipping worth it.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

You can still have +5 showing up...but that doesn't mean that the actual current was correct, which would be harder to measure without taking the +5 output from the regulator out of the circuit and measuring. I say he should try a different 7805 from somewhere else.

I ordered up my 2amp output 7805s from Mouser i think? Course you would want to find more stuff to order to make the shipping worth it.

Well if the regulator is not drooping, it is doing it's job. Regulator's job is to provide a constant voltage source. It is not a constant current source. So if the voltage is stable and not fluctuating under varying loads, then the regulator is doing it's job. You can measure VCC anywhere. Controller port is convenient because I don't need to open the case.

I didn't really post anything offensive though. I posted what happened. Though - I guess some people could consider a Concerto Mutilation to be offensive.. ah dammit.

Why are you offended? Did I come into your house and saw the pins off your flash cart?

It was a defective product. And no, my 7800 is not "defective."

And FYI, I still use said "handicapped" Concerto as an Encore cart for my 7800. It still won't fit in my 2600 due to oversight on my part.

• Like 1

I do know a couple of the components no longer exist, but I don't know how much that would impact matters if you could find replacements. Replacing the card reader and type wouldn't be that hard I guess? Probably goes to show how much I was still able to sell my spare CC2 for earlier this year.

Just me wondering why the Cuttle Cart 2 worked and from what i remember had no problems with games. Yet no one has seemed to find another way. Whats stoppung aomeone from making more Cuttle Cart 2s?

Answered here and reiterated below for convenience:

"It was actually a two-fold issue. First, the FPGA being utilized was old then (Spring 2004) and was no longer supported. Chad mentioned it was not supported by Xilinx's webpack, specifically. Going to a newer part was not an option, due to sticking strictly with 5 volt inputs. Chad saw a lot of out of spec stuff when looking through a scope, and while there was no problem with 5v parts, the risk he felt was too great with 5v 'tolerant' parts. Additionally, lower voltage parts were not TTL compatible and required translators on the bus - taking up board space and requiring a redesign.

Second, the MMC socket utilized was discontinued. Although replacement was a possibility, it would have needed to meet the criteria of being inexpensive, available in small quantities, and an equivalent form factor or extremely close. Even if that could be met, per Chad, it would still have likely required new board artwork associated with setup costs, and a new solder paste stencil."
As a side note, the Cuttle Cart 2 has a problem with at least BBCQ and DKPK. It does support 144K ROMs, but not with POKEY. So those games can be played, however, there is no audio.
  • Like 2

For CC2, would a new bankswitching config file on the device sort this?

Creating a new bankswitching config file is a final step after the programming of the code scheme is made to the FPGA and its respective interaction with the PSD Control Registers is in place. That would be possible if the source files still existed. While we do have a very nice archive of files for the Cuttle Cart 2, the source files we do not have.

A few years ago, the source files were inquired about. Sadly, Chad does not have the source files anymore. Therefore, no new schemes can be created.

• Like 1

Which doesn't make any sense why the 7800 would use a "zero ohm" resistor when everything on the PCB was through hole. Just an uninsulated component lead will do.

Zero ohm resistors exist on modern circuit boards with surface mount components in lieu of actual jumper wires because it is compatible with pick and place robots.

EDIT: Well looks like they did use actual through hole 0 ohm resistors. Would a bog standard jumper wire (or clipped component lead) not have been cheaper? :???:

Radial insertion machines like to be able to grab on something thicker than a bit of wire (least our 2 piles of glory do)

Also the component body acts as a stand off from the pcb

Edited by Osgeld

• 2 weeks later...

Mateos 16-in-1 I think is the only one currently available.

What Dauber said.... Not the easiest cart to use compared to dumping roms onto an SD. But it isn't that bad either and so far it can pretty much play anything that's been released up to 144k in size. You would need to source your own pokey chip if you want pokey audio for the games that do support it, but technically everything will work without the pokey present.

I didn't really post anything offensive though. I posted what happened. Though - I guess some people could consider a Concerto Mutilation to be offensive.. ah dammit.

FYI, someone on this forum (who will remain anonomous) offered to buy it from me as is. I traded it for a Harmony Encore. It's going in the mail tomorrow... :P
  • Like 1