IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

On 2/21/2020 at 2:05 PM, SainT said:

It's coming, yes.

YES!!!!!   As stated below, I have 2 units.  1 with the port on the side, one without.  Both units are NTSC if you need a tester.

• Like 1

I have an NTSC and PAL unit here, I will be afters testers with as varied a set of motherboards as possible eventually. I have the Lynx and Jag cart outsourcing to complete first, then I'll get on with the 7800. I've made a start already, but then got sidetracked with having to lighten my load in terms of manufacture and sales.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SainT said:

I have an NTSC and PAL unit here, I will be afters testers with as varied a set of motherboards as possible eventually. I have the Lynx and Jag cart outsourcing to complete first, then I'll get on with the 7800. I've made a start already, but then got sidetracked with having to lighten my load in terms of manufacture and sales.

Hi Saint

well....i have several Pal,Ntsc and Secam systems...

some of them modded.

• Like 1

SainT,

I had to get a 2nd 7800 because some homebrew games wouldn’t run on a “Serial #X...” model — hardware made at the end of 7800 production. 

I know about certain Activision games and the Starpath Supercharger working on some systems and not others - my homebrew problem was not that issue. 

Since the hardware seems to be so varied and different across the 7800, I would suggest getting to “compatibility with most” for your hardware, and give  information about there being different 7800 designs when selling. 

Adding to the many differences in hardware, there will also be problems caused by damaged old, failing parts.

Currently these aren’t expensive, valuable retro systems, and it shouldn’t be that hard to get a different one if the user is having problems with homebrew or multi-carts in my opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SainT said:

I will be afters testers with as varied a set of motherboards as possible eventually.

I have three systems (below). All are NTSC and one is modded. I can't wait to purchase this product and would be willing to test, as well.

• A1 74 582114 (Expansion Interface Slot Included)
  • A1 885456395 (Modded for S-video)
  • A3 9B1 5287646

31 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have three systems (below). All are NTSC and one is modded. I can't wait to purchase this product and would be willing to test, as well.

• A1 74 582114 (Expansion Interface Slot Included)
  • A1 885456395 (Modded for S-video)
  • A3 9B1 5287646

Your modded one will be especially interesting to test it with since you also have a replacement DC-DC converter installed in place of the original 7805. Then again that Traco converter puts out higher amperage as compared to the original so should be good either way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Your modded one will be especially interesting to test it with since you also have a replacement DC-DC converter installed in place of the original 7805. Then again that Traco converter puts out higher amperage as compared to the original so should be good either way.

My modded console is my main 7800 (thanks @-^CrossBow^-). The other two are CIBs (matching numbers etc.). I use them when I come across an issue, during game testing and I normally validate a game across all three systems.

The modded console works fine with my Mateos multcart, and I had been using it to test the Arkanoid ROM, via my Mateos. 

• Like 1

In my experience with Concerto, there is no rhyme or reason that I could find as to why one console would behave and one wouldn't. I could literally have two consoles with nearly all the same chips (same manufacturer, same markings, etc) and they would not act the same.

So, I would say the best testers would simply be those who have many consoles at their disposal.

One thing that was frustrating for me was that I have around 12 consoles and I could not replicate some issues people were having. I even offered to buy the consoles of two people who were having different issues and couldn't get anywhere with that. They were also unwilling to loan me their consoles for testing. It is not fun having to try different theories as to why things aren't working by working on code, sending files to someone, waiting for results and so forth. It is so much more efficient to just have the problem console in your hands, especially as the testers are not willing or likely to be able to hook up their consoles to a scope or logic analyzer if that is needed.

So I would also say that beta testers should also be willing to loan their consoles out in case any are not behaving properly.

All this said, I am still working on Concerto but it will be different than the ones already out there. I have decided to strip it down and not support the full 7800 library. The Mateos cart shows that there is demand on the low end for a flashcart as well (with commensurate price point, of course) so that is the demographic I intend to focus on for the standard Concerto. There may also be an upgraded Concerto available but this also will not be intended to target the full 7800 library.

That will leave plenty of room in the 7800 flashcart market for a higher-end device with more features and support for the full library of 7800 games.

• Like 10

To clarify: Concerto will look and work like it does now, but the hardware has been simplified to reduce complexity and cost, and to control feature creep. Some features are being cut, as under the new design I am not sure yet all that is possible. I have ported the menu over to the new hardware but much still needs to be done.

Concerto should support most games, but some games with RAM will not work. E.g. Impossible Mission is unlikely to work because of the way it uses the RAM. There may be others that do not work.

POKEY: only support for the standard location $4000 is planned. Nonstandard areas might be possible eventually but I make no promises.

High Score Cart: No support planned. I may be able to get it to work eventually, but no promises.

Rikki and Vikki: No support planned. The scheme looks pretty complex, and I may give it a shot someday, but again, I can make no promises.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SainT said:

I have both a stock Taiwanese 1984 model and a modded Chinese model from 1990 if you’re interested in a beta tester.

Nowhere close, I am about to buy another fully socketed one, which will make it 9.  But I do hardware dev and some of these are weird as shit.  I still have not figured out, why one of them lets me map RAM anywhere and no other can.

8 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

why one of them lets me map RAM anywhere and no other can.

That’s curious as hell. Different or damaged support logic? A jumper soldered on the board that shouldn’t? Custom or prototype BIOS? Yeah, I’m sure you’ve checked all of that already but it’s fascinating. :) 

14 hours ago, batari said:

To clarify: Concerto will look and work like it does now, but the hardware has been simplified to reduce complexity and cost, and to control feature creep. Some features are being cut, as under the new design I am not sure yet all that is possible. I have ported the menu over to the new hardware but much still needs to be done.

I really love that you're scaling it back, and being very wary of feature-creep.

That said, I think support of the $450 version is important for homebrew. The $450 location is a lot more useful than $4000, because you don't waste 16k worth of address space for access to 16 registers. The XM, for example, only supports pokey at $450, and not at $4000. While both $450 and $4000 have been used in homebrew titles - with $4000 sticking around due to CC2 being the most common flash cart - any dev with an XM in their hands will very likely be using $450 from here on out.

Of course, you can always say "get an xm" to anybody looking for pokey@450 support. Same with the HSC, and same with some of the on-cart RAM titles - it shouldn't be terribly difficult to hack them to turn on the XM RAM instead, and I'd be willing to take that on. I just wanted to share my perspective on the relative importance of the pokey locations.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, batari said:

Rikki and Vikki: No support planned. The scheme looks pretty complex, and I may give it a shot someday, but again, I can make no promises.

If you don't plan on supporting SOUPER's full feature set, I still recommend borrowing its method of detecting and special casing Maria's accesses. This relaxes the timing fuss significantly.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 6:20 AM, TailChao said:

If you don't plan on supporting SOUPER's full feature set, I still recommend borrowing its method of detecting and special casing Maria's accesses. This relaxes the timing fuss significantly.

Thanks, I’ll look into that. The Maria RAM access is so fast it’s hard to keep up with it. If it can be detected ahead of time that would help a lot.

Also, it’s not exactly that I definitely won’t try to implement SOUPER but more that I can’t promise I can get it to work on the hardware so consider it not a planned feature.