IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

12 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Anything could happen, but I think it's right to put any hopes of XM aside and move on with other plans. The YM tracker was indeed mine, and I'm quite proud of it. I had more stuff planned for the tracker, and XM in general as I'm sure Bob and Perry did, and probably others... the first stage of getting XM into dev hands got the ball rolling, but that second stage of getting XM into player hands needed to happen to keep the ball rolling. My hobby coding time is a finite resource, so there's only so much code I'll write on faith.

But even without a bunch of XM specific games, any 7800basic games that need RAM, HSC, or Pokey and don't find that hardware, will automatically probe for XM and enable it. Then there's the titles that could have just plain used the HSC or Pokey without being XM aware.

Anyway, moving on. Even if XM doesn't get finished, we'll eventually figure out how to reuse the work and resurrect the better parts, in one form or another.

Well the Dragonfly and eventually HOKEY on Concerto will have YM enabled SD carts in the hands of many that would surely BUY a binary copy of such a game if it was offered. You can count me in as one of those people for any game that sparks my interest.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I was just wondering how @batari's Concerto is coming along, any updates so far as far as its availability is concerned???

Fred mentioned recently that the HOKEY's aren't done yet, so I would check back in Oct. 2021 so as not to put too much pressure on him. In the meantime, you can buy a Harmony or Harmony Encore cart to support development of the Melody boards, AtariAge, and Fred's work in general. It looks like the quarantine sale may still be in effect.

As a fellow new 7800 owner, I picked up a stack of carts to tide me over until next year. I found a seller that would combine shipping on his BIN auctions so these 4 carts only ran me about $25 total including shipping...

IMG_8176.md.jpg

Edited by xefned
spacing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, xefned said:

Fred mentioned recently that the HOKEY's aren't done yet, so I would check back in Oct. 2021 so as not to put too much pressure on him. In the meantime, you can buy a Harmony or Harmony Encore cart to support development of the Melody boards, AtariAge, and Fred's work in general. It looks like the quarantine sale may still be in effect.

Concerto itself will be available very soon, like this month! HOKEY may be a while. In the meantime, you can use your own POKEY ship or try one of the other POKEY replacement options.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, batari said:

Concerto itself will be available very soon, like this month! HOKEY may be a while. In the meantime, you can use your own POKEY ship or try one of the other POKEY replacement options.

Will it work with all of my 7800 ROMs I have on file even without HOKEY???

HOKEY is a POKEY replacement from reading @batari's posts. There are two original commercial games that used Pokey (Commando & Ball Blazer), so other than those, yes I'd expect ROMs would work.

There are a bunch of homebrews that use Pokey, some work without but are enhanced with it present. Not sure about ROM availability on any of those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

HOKEY is a POKEY replacement from reading @batari's posts. There are two original commercial games that used Pokey (Commando & Ball Blazer), so other than those, yes I'd expect ROMs would work.

There are a bunch of homebrews that use Pokey, some work without but are enhanced with it present. Not sure about ROM availability on any of those.

25 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Will it work with all of my 7800 ROMs I have on file even without HOKEY???

2 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

The retail roms should work fine with out a POKEY or HOKEY. You just won't get any POKEY sounds from Commando or Ball Blazer.

I would think any homebrew roms would would the same. I know when all sells a Beef Drop there is a FULL version with POKEY and the Value Edition with out POKEY. It's the same ROM I believe. If the POKEY is present you get POKEY sound. If not you get alternative TIA sounds. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, batari said:

Concerto itself will be available very soon, like this month! … ♥ ♥ ♥

That is truly exciting, and faster than anyone could've expected. 

Having read through this entire 78 page thread over the past week, I have a newfound appreciation for just how epic the Concerto is. After years of dedication, hundreds and hundreds of man hours troubleshooting, a divorce, several redesigns, shipping problematic consoles across the country, non-reproducable electrical gremlins, and superhuman perseverance on your part, it will finally come to fruition, it must feel great to finally have this nailed. Congratulations! 

…you can use your own POKEY ship or try one of the other POKEY replacement options.

Cool! I wonder if the PokeyOne available from HotRod Arcade will work in this application. Anyone know offhand?

Edited by xefned
grammar and clarity
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, xefned said:

Cool! I wonder if the PokeyOne available from HotRod Arcade will work in this application. Anyone know offhand?

The PokeyOne I believe is what some of the current 7800 pokey games are using in them? So at least for the uses of producing the needed pokey sound in those games, the PokeyOne works for that and from the sound samples that have been provided, most people won't be able to tell the difference as I couldn't really hear any difference between them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The PokeyOne I believe is what some of the current 7800 pokey games are using in them? So at least for the uses of producing the needed pokey sound in those games, the PokeyOne works for that and from the sound samples that have been provided, most people won't be able to tell the difference as I couldn't really hear any difference between them.

Awesome, thanks! I'm only now playing catchup on the PokeyOne

On account of cost, I'll probably wait for the HOKEY. But it's good to know options exist other than cannibalizing Ballblazers. :)

Myself as well, I would never ventured my way to getting a 7800 without the SD cart available, that's why I ignored it for all of these years since becoming an Atarian back in 1982 and getting my first 5200 (a USA-made 4-port, serial #141101) back on my 17th Birthday (on May 19th, 1983).

So in general what is being tossed around is that the whole idea of dual POKEY and Yamaha sound, while spoke of as a nice consideration, is not a thing worth  considering for SD cartridges and single POKEY and RAM is all everyone sees as the standard going forward? Dual POKEY and Yamaha are just a waste of money and tech cause it's not gonna be used anyhow? As in a user would be totally fine with single pokey and ram as the limits of any such device? This is a dead serious question as price point and usefulness of extras is a consideration I think many will have, myself included. Is the $25 for a YM on cart gonna be anything more than PMC and the Tracker program or are those examples the end of the road? Is dual pokey best forgotten cause the widest portion of the user base will not have the ability to use or buy into programs that have it?

I'm all for supporting the most flavorful versions of these devices but if it's never getting used I'm starting to think it really would be spending extra for no reason at all and my previous stance of future proofing is actually a poor one. Perhaps I have the wrong outlook here and "less really is more" as far as what will actually get used in the majority of new programs to come?  

3 hours ago, batari said:

So does that mean the concerto is now batting 1000? If any and all kinks are gone that is totally awesome and a huge congrats is in order. :)  ?

EDIT: I still have that USB programmer here for you if you want it Fred. Just let me know where to send it. As we discussed a couple months ago, it will make life a fuck of a lot easier and modern programmers support WAY more devices too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

So in general what is being tossed around is that the whole idea of dual POKEY and Yamaha sound, while spoke of as a nice consideration, is not a thing worth  considering for SD cartridges and single POKEY and RAM is all everyone sees as the standard going forward? Dual POKEY and Yamaha are just a waste of money and tech cause it's not gonna be used anyhow? As in a user would be totally fine with single pokey and ram as the limits of any such device? This is a dead serious question as price point and usefulness of extras is a consideration I think many will have, myself included. Is the $25 for a YM on cart gonna be anything more than PMC and the Tracker program or are those examples the end of the road? Is dual pokey best forgotten cause the widest portion of the user base will not have the ability to use or buy into programs that have it?

This is a question that needs to be answered by devs, and I can only speak for myself... I don't personally intend to target dual pokey or yamaha while there's only one device to play them back, and said device only works with roms. Everybody has their own motivations for making games, but a big part of it for me is the real cart on the shelf. Hopefully other devs will sound off, because what I do or don't do doesn't amount to a lot; while I have a homebrew in the works, I don't churn out games one after another.

As far as my developer influence with 7800basic, the YM tracker is already written, so if devs wants to make YM songs for their games they have everything they need, including samples in assembly code and 7800basic. 7800basic doesn't presently have native pokey support built into it's tracker - I was never very keen to make the pokey famine worse - but I'll likely be looking at adding it when hokey arrives. I'll also look at the possibility of RMT/SAP import. Not sure about dual pokey for either, because CPU and RAM are always at a premium.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

You have it backwards, POKEYONE is the basic version, POKEYMAX has features you couldn't even use on a 7800.

There are different options with the POKEYMAX as far as what it is able to do from what I've gathered. Different versions for different uses. I'm guessing that is what he was referring to.