IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

13 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

POKEYMAX is for 8bit computers and some arcade machines.

5 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

You have it backwards, POKEYONE is the basic version, POKEYMAX has features you couldn't even use on a 7800.

I don't think that I have it backwards. I said there is a basic version of POKEYMAX.

Here it is in the Dragonfly 7800SD cart :

image.thumb.png.6e0c8dd3ca94ecd2916c4f324f4f7f18.png

There are versions of this with larger more feature rich cores that include Quad Pokey, PSG / SID / covox etc. but there is also a version that's just a plain old Pokey.

Different flavours that are available

I see no mention of "PokeyOne" anywhere there so it's a different product and as I said, "the basic version of PokeyMax" is an option.

Am not going to quote all the statements, but I will refer to the Pokey + Yamaha topic in general.
Pokey Max is a replacement for the original Pokey and will work in any equipment, it is not imposed anywhere, only for Arcade or XL / XE. Its cheapest and simplest version, i.e. Stereo + Covox, works properly in any gear, it automatically switches to mono mode.
But .... using it in Dragonfly, without incurring additional costs, I also have the option of running a second Pokey and covox, so why not use it? After all, it is at the same price as the mono mode.
The use of Pokey Max is not mandatory, anyone can insert the original or another replacement, and it will work.
There is one more thing, as far as I know, only Pokey Max replacements correctly reproduce all the functions of the original, but in this matter it would have to be spoken by a colleague @Synthpopalooza.

As for Yamaha, it is also an additional option, I specially did it on an additional module so that you can decide for yourself about its suitability. Several productions have already been made at YM, and only a few people in the world can run them on their consoles. It's not fair :( That's why my goal is to make it possible for others to do so, and maybe someone will write something new? The tools for this are already there. 

• Like 4

Just to be clear, PokeyOne and PokeyMax are two separate products, produced by two separate people or groups of people. PokeyOne is a sound/paddle/RNG only version of POKEY developed by my friend David and originally intended for arcade machine POKEY replacement for arcade owners who have many - possibly hundreds - of machines to maintain, service and repair. In those quantities, POKEYs are just not commercially available or viable. After I met with David and obtained a sample and installed it as a stereo POKEY in my 1088XLD beta board and did a bunch of audio tests playing existing demo scene tracks and posted left and right track comparison wave files. The two chips could not be discerned by looking at waveforms, that’s for sure. After that, I suggested to David that he contact Al and offer them in quantity for use in POKEY-enhanced 7800 homebrews. 

PokeyMax is a totally separate project by different people in Europe. It comes in several different forms, some more capable in terms of emulating multiple different audio chips simultaneously, etc. But none of those additional audio features are supported by either 7800 titles or - more significantly, possibly - any existing 7800 cartridge PCB designs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Yep, it's called POKEYONE, it is what Al uses for POKEY games in the store.

I really don't think they are the same. 

ah, @DrVenkman explained it more clearly than I did. 

While PokeyMax is available with an extended feature set that the 7800 does not need or use (PSG, SID, COVOX etc), the basic mono version of PokeyMAX, which is a completely separate product to PokeyOne, could indeed be used (or as pointed out, the stereo+covox version being the same price would work identically).

Ok, I'm reading these posts and am very confused.  I see pokey, pokey max, hokey.  I thought that the pokey was a chip in the 7800 itself or am I wrong here?  Also, I want to be able to play commercial games and play homebrew games also.  The one that is coming out without the hokey will run these, correct?  Also, what is the advantage of the hokey one that might come out?  

4 minutes ago, metzger130 said:

I thought that the pokey was a chip in the 7800 itself or am I wrong here?

Incorrect. POKEY is the chip in the A8 computer that handles POtentiometers and KEYboards (hence, “POKEY”). It also does most of the serial I/O functions and random number generation. It was later used for sound, keypad and RNG functions in the 5200 as well. When the 7800 was designed, the idea was that game publishers would put sound chips on individual cartridges to keep the console manufacturing costs down. Only two carts did this - BALLBLAZER and COMMANDO, both of which have POKEY chips on the cartridge itself.

This makes cart costs high, however. So the hope for an SD cart is that it will support an on-cart POKEY or POKEY-replacement so we can play POKEY-enhanced ROMs.  PokeyOne and PokeyMax are modern FPGA-based POKEY replacements. Hokey is Fred (batari’ s) microcontroller-based POKEY replacement. It will hopefully be cheaper than the others, but still give good POKEY emulation.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, metzger130 said:

Ok, I'm reading these posts and am very confused.  I see pokey, pokey max, hokey.  I thought that the pokey was a chip in the 7800 itself or am I wrong here?  Also, I want to be able to play commercial games and play homebrew games also.  The one that is coming out without the hokey will run these, correct?  Also, what is the advantage of the hokey one that might come out?  

Son you got a lot to learn.. read 7800 specs on the internet. Read about the hokey chip and pokey chip and also the pokey one and pokey max. Explain to us what they all are to prove your reading comprehension. Thanks and enjoy. 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

So we're saying the PokeyONE is an effective alternative for OEM Pokey on the Concerto?  ?

In the Atariage store for maybe a year?

Pokeymax has been around for a while too on the atari computers.. Read last couple pages etc for more details. 

Great News,

I just took delivery (via FedEx) of a great condition (clear plastic seal on the metal bezel) 7800, now it's just a matter of:

1) Reacquiring Harmony Encore

2) when Concerto get released and available for all of us to get, this is why I got (what I as a 5200 owner call) "Little Sexy" in the first place, hopefully @batari will be on this as I'm (and so are many of us) ready for the finished Concerto surfaces.

3) Getting a XEGS (as I found out a PS/2 keyboard adapter is available, that is a huge dealmaker) and also the The Brewing Academy's Ultimate Cart for it as well.

4) hopefully in January, launching the 7800 and 8-bit Editions of The Atari Report, no official announcement will be made until Concerto is actually available, then we can go on YouTube and make that awaited announcement that even I want to make.

2 months to go (plenty of time) and I have confidence that @batari will have her done by the end of 2020. How many others have as much faith in him getting the deal done as I do???

Edited by BIGHMW

56 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I just took delivery (via FedEx) of a great condition (clear plastic seal on the metal bezel) 7800, now it's just a matter of:

Sweeeeeet! Finding one with the plastic film is a rare joy. (My 5200 still has it.) 

1) Reacquiring Harmony Encore

Since I was in wait mode, I bought another Harmony Encore last week, having read that it helps support Fred and AA.

Then I read through this entire thread and discovered: the Concerto is 2600 bkwards compatible. So you'll basically have a Harmony Encore built into the Concerto. 

Not that I would stop you from buying one if you want to have a separate cartridge for the 2600. Just figured I should point that out.  Peace.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xefned said:

Sweeeeeet! Finding one with the plastic film is a rare joy. (My 5200 still has it.) 

Since I was in wait mode, I bought another Harmony Encore last week, having read that it helps support Fred and AA.

Then I read through this entire thread and discovered: the Concerto is 2600 bkwards compatible. So you'll basically have a Harmony Encore built into the Concerto. 

Not that I would stop you from buying one if you want to have a separate cartridge for the 2600. Just figured I should point that out.  Peace.

After I took delivery of Little Sexy I took the film off of it.

As for the "2-in-1" compatibility with 2600 games that Concerto has, as well as 7800 games, THAT is INDEED both a gamebreaker and a dealmaker!!! But for now after I get both my next Social Security payment and my paycheck on the 3rd and pay my rent I am definitely getting the Harmony Encore and in January I will be ditching my Flashback 9 despite its remote joystick-based menu/start/select controls as opposed to having to use the buttons on the console in which was why I sold my original Harmony Encore last year in the first place.

7 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Great News,

getting a 7800 game if you don't already have one and playing it. Enjoy the system and then enjoy it some more. All the other stuff can wait. Just my humble opinion of course.

• Like 4

Hey @batari@adamchevy and I would like to know the latest in the development on Concerto, as I intend to not only get a XEGS next week but also (at least) the Brewing Academy Ultimate Cart for it and the Harmony Encore so I can (at least) play 2600 games on Lil' Sexy (my name for the 7800), we're getting kinda anxious.

2 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

HI intend to not only get a XEGS next week but also (at least) the Ultimate Cart for it.

Out of curiosity, why Ultimate Cart and not Side3 cart or AVGCart (both carts are continually improved and among other advantages have ATR compatibility, Side3 if together with U1MB, AVGCart if equipped with SIO cable)? Ultimate cart is a good open source project but unfortunately development stopped years ago.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Out of curiosity, why Ultimate Cart and not Side3 cart or AVGCart (both carts are continually improved and among other advantages have ATR compatibility, Side3 if together with U1MB, AVGCart if equipped with SIO cable)? Ultimate cart is a good open source project but unfortunately development stopped years ago.

Well it's that I am just merely a gamer (if I wanted to do computer work I have my Windows 7 laptop already) plus almost all of the 4000+ 8-bit ROMs I have, courtesy of the Homesoft Collection, are mainly, if not only, .xex files and I know the Ultimate Cart will work with those.

Plus, the AVG cart would be great, that is if you didn't have a cable sticking out of it or have to import it, and I have never heard of Side3, I just need a link to find out more about it. Maybe Side3 could be a better alternative, I'll find out more about it, before I drop some $$$ towards a multicart for the XEGS..

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

Well it's that I am just merely a gamer (if I wanted to do computer work I have my Windows 7 laptop already) plus almost all of the 4000+ 8-bit ROMs I have, courtesy of the Homesoft Collection, are mainly, if not only, .xex files and I know the Ultimate Cart will work with those.

Plus, the AVG cart would be great, that is if you didn't have a cable sticking out of it or have to import it, and I have never heard of Side3, I just need a link to find out more about it. Maybe Side3 could be a better alternative, I'll find out more about it, before I drop some $$$ towards a multicart for the XEGS..

AVGCart doesn't need SIO cable, as-is it loads all files that Ultimate Cart loads.

It costs half the price, has more compatibility, it loads some Homesoft collection ATR too (it has a button dedicated to swap disks), it emulates Side2 cart and has other nice features Ultimate cart doesn't have. SIO cable is optional, you can add it if you want full ATR compatibility.

Side3 costs the same price of Ultimate Cart (double the price of AVGCart), it has the same compatibility of AVGCart, has a battery backed clock, SpartaDOSX and together with U1MB internal expansion loads ATR.

I agree on the fact most of the games are available in XEX and CAR format; without ATR compatibility in my opinion you miss only 30 masterpieces.

Did you read Topic for newbies and its loading devices comparison table (with links to sellers)?

Anyway, if you have questions use that thread or feel free to contact me, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Sorry all for the off topic and keep up with the good work to give us a multicart for 7800!

Thanks developers!