IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

That is due to a bug in the game.

Cheers Trebor, first time it happened I thought there was something wrong with my system. I doesn't take 10 hours, only about 15/20 minutes for it to crash showing diagonal lines on screen. Haven't experienced it during gameplay as yet, but I confess to getting tired of the game pretty quickly.

I take it the capacitor removal is purely for 2600 games, and I haven't found a one that doesn't work using my Harmony cart :)

• Like 1

So in an effort of clarity, I started testing these games in alphabetical order, without pokey installed, since clearly my POKEY is causing issues, even with non-pokey games.

Commercial games:

Ace of Aces - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Alien Brigade - Not Working, crashes on intro screen animation.

Asteroids - Working 100%

Ballblazer - Working 100% (even with POKEY!)

Barnyard Blaster - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Basketbrawl - Not working, crashes at title screen, garbled graphics.

Centipede - working 100%

Choplifter! - Working 100%

Commando - Working 100% (even with Pokey installed!)

Crack’ed - Working 100%

Crossbow - Working 100%

Dark Chambers - Working 100%

Desert Falcon - Working 100%

Dig Dug - Working 100%

Donkey Kong - Working 100%

Donkey Kong Junior - Working 100%

Double Dragon - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

F-18 Hornet - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Fatal Run - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Fight Night - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Food Fight - Working 100%

Galaga - Working 100%

Hat Trick - Working 100%

Ikari Warriors - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Impossible Mission - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Jinks - didn't test, game is crap.

Joust - Working 100%

Karateka - Working 100%

Kung-Fu Master - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get all enemies to appear)

Mario Bros. - Working 100%

Mat Mania Challenge - Working 100%

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf

Meltdown - Working 100%

Midnight Mutants - Working 100%

Motor Psycho - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Ms. Pac-Man - Working 100%

Ninja Golf - Working 100%

One-On-One Basketball - Working 100%

Pac Man Collection - Working 100%

Pete Rose Baseball

Planet Smashers Atari - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Pole Position II - Working 100%

Rampage - Working 100%

Realsports Baseball

Robotron 2084 - working 100%

Scrapyard Dog - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Sentinel

Summer Games - Working 100%

Super Huey

Super Skateboardin’ - Working 100%

Tank Command - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Touchdown Football

Tower Toppler

Water Ski - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Winter Games - Working 100%

Xenophobe - Working 100%

Xevious - Working 100%

There are some I didn't get to test - I will test those tonight if I can. What appears to happen occasionally is if I load a large "Supergame" rom, affter having previously loaded a smaller rom - I get garbled graphics or unplayable game state after the title screen, or during the title screen. but loading the game a second time seems to fix that in most cases.

I will also note that Alien Brigade and Basketbrawl did not load at all on one console, but did on another. The console they did not work on has the timing capacitor removed. The console they did work on doesn't have that circuit at all.

Homebrews appear to be a different animal, and most issues are consistent across multiple consoles. I will list those in a separate post, as they need more work.

• Like 3

Grab all original retail release title ROMs from the download labelled ADDFILES here.

Inside that compressed zip archive linked above (MAME0164_A7800_ADDFILES.zip) is a folder named "software".

Inside the "software" folder, there is a folder labelled "a7800" containing the NTSC ROMs, and a folder labelled "a7800p" containing the PAL ROMs.

Yeah Trebor pointed it out.

Till now I have been all with original hardware and homebrew carts. I found the one easily with the homebrew thread but the original ones I could not find. Which was ok cause they are in cart form innmy collection.. Actually most homebrews are as well cept some hack ones and the newest unreleased ones like froggie, bbcq, salvo, etc.. waiting on "the store" Coming soon!!

So in an effort of clarity, I started testing these games in alphabetical order, without pokey installed, since clearly my POKEY is causing issues, even with non-pokey games.

Commercial games:

Ace of Aces - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Alien Brigade - Not Working, crashes on intro screen animation.

Asteroids - Working 100%

Ballblazer - Working 100% (even with POKEY!)

Barnyard Blaster - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Basketbrawl - Not working, crashes at title screen, garbled graphics.

Centipede - working 100%

Choplifter! - Working 100%

Commando - Working 100% (even with Pokey installed!)

Crack’ed - Working 100%

Crossbow - Working 100%

Dark Chambers - Working 100%

Desert Falcon - Working 100%

Dig Dug - Working 100%

Donkey Kong - Working 100%

Donkey Kong Junior - Working 100%

Double Dragon - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

F-18 Hornet - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Fatal Run - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Fight Night - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Food Fight - Working 100%

Galaga - Working 100%

Hat Trick - Working 100%

Ikari Warriors - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Impossible Mission - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Jinks - - Working 100%

Joust - Working 100%

Karateka - Working 100%

Kung-Fu Master - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get all enemies to appear)

Mario Bros. - Working 100%

Mat Mania Challenge - Working 100%

Mean 18 Ultimate Golf - Working 100%

Meltdown - Working 100%

Midnight Mutants - Working 100%

Motor Psycho - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Ms. Pac-Man - Working 100%

Ninja Golf - Working 100%

One-On-One Basketball - Working 100%

Pac Man Collection - Working 100%

Pete Rose Baseball - Working 100%

Planet Smashers Atari - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Pole Position II - Working 100%

Rampage - Working 100%

Realsports Baseball - Working 100%

Robotron 2084 - working 100%

Scrapyard Dog - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Sentinel - Working 100%

Summer Games - Working 100%

Super Huey - Working 100%

Super Skateboardin’ - Working 100%

Tank Command - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Title Match Pro Wrestling - Working 100%

Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Touchdown Football - Working 100%

Tower Toppler - Working 100%

Water Ski - Working 100% (had to load a second time to get past title screen)

Winter Games - Working 100%

Xenophobe - Working 100%

Xevious - Working 100%

There are some I didn't get to test - I will test those tonight if I can. What appears to happen occasionally is if I load a large "Supergame" rom, affter having previously loaded a smaller rom - I get garbled graphics or unplayable game state after the title screen, or during the title screen. but loading the game a second time seems to fix that in most cases.

I will also note that Alien Brigade and Basketbrawl did not load at all on one console, but did on another. The console they did not work on has the timing capacitor removed. The console they did work on doesn't have that circuit at all.

Homebrews appear to be a different animal, and most issues are consistent across multiple consoles. I will list those in a separate post, as they need more work.

updated above to reflect complete results.

again, occasionally I've had to load a game, start it only for it to crash, then load it a second time and it works fine. It almost seems like some bits of the previously loaded game get stuck in the flash, and need to be flushed out - if that makes any sense.

Still have the issue with many games crashing or having serious graphical/sound problems when my POKEY chip is installed, so I will try to procure a new, tested POKEY to rule out mine being damaged.

Also - I've listed my results with Homebrews in previous posts, those remain the same. Most homebrew games that don't have POKEY sound work fine (when no pokey chip is present in Concerto), though some took a second load to work. This includes all of BobD/PMP's homebrews.

None of the POKEY enabled homebrew work properly with a POKEY chip installed in the Concerto cart. Some will play the game with no graphics issues, but no POKEY sound is present.

B-*nQ doens't work at all, pokey or not, on any of my consoles.

The single exception to the Pokey Homebrew not working is Froggie. It works 100% with POKEY, and plays normal without POKEY, except you get no sound. (as expected)

• Like 4

The single exception to the Pokey Homebrew not working is Froggie. It works 100% with POKEY, and plays normal without POKEY, except you get no sound. (as expected)

Interesting. It should default to TIA sound if the POKEY isn't detected. Schmutzpuppe posted this version with it correctly implemented.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/69060-frogger-first-playable-demo/page-16?do=findComment&comment=2775162

bear in mind - with the above testing, I did not play each game for hours on end. I got past the title screen, and played in-game for 5-10 minutes (usually until a game ended, as I ran out of lives, etc.) If there are problems with games crashing after running for long periods of time, I haven't tested for that, and likely won't.

I don't know if anyone remembers back in 2014 when I discovered (what I thought to be) a problem with the memory chips I was using for Concerto. I got glitches and random crashes with the chip that I did not get with a different brand of chip.

Well, I pulled out one of those old prototypes and ran it with my new PSU (12v, 1A) and it runs perfectly even with that old chip. No crashes at all. Just more evidence in my mind that some of the issues here are still with power.

The PSU I was using back then burned itself out some time ago so that is also kind of telling.

The low power chips should be here Saturday, or Monday at the latest, so I will post then with results.

• Like 8

I don't know if anyone remembers back in 2014 when I discovered (what I thought to be) a problem with the memory chips I was using for Concerto. I got glitches and random crashes with the chip that I did not get with a different brand of chip.

Well, I pulled out one of those old prototypes and ran it with my new PSU (12v, 1A) and it runs perfectly even with that old chip. No crashes at all. Just more evidence in my mind that some of the issues here are still with power.

The PSU I was using back then burned itself out some time ago so that is also kind of telling.

The low power chips should be here Saturday, or Monday at the latest, so I will post then with results.

Tried all original roms all crashed or glitched after 1 minute playing then crashed.

tested with 512mb impact sd card formatted fat 16.

Batari, do you think it is possible bad memory chips may have gotten into the newest batch of Concertos? I would like to send my cart back for testing so we know for certain it is or isn't an issue with my specific 7800 console.

EDIT: It's up for grabs for anybody who wants it:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259122-fs-concerto-with-pokey-installed-as-is-120-shipped/