IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

PAL has the CO70856.

And there is a universal motherboard labeled 300633.

There are different PAL versions as well. I have a system with the ram chips on a daughterboard and one with the ram chips directly on the motherboard. But the motherboard revision could be the same, need to open it to see. And of course the French 7800 have a scart output but that is probably a regular PAL board with a scart modification on it.

Robert

I am picking up extra 7800s as I hope to find some that exhibit the same issues, so I can get it to work on everything. One came today that exhibited a different issue, and another is coming later this week that I hope will have the DD problem. If not, I will keep looking for more.

I am certain DD is just a minor timing issue, and the bankswitch code here has a lot of flexibility in timing, so I'll figure it out as soon as I get some problem consoles here.

• Like 2

I am picking up extra 7800s as I hope to find some that exhibit the same issues, so I can get it to work on everything. One came today that exhibited a different issue, and another is coming later this week that I hope will have the DD problem. If not, I will keep looking for more.

I am certain DD is just a minor timing issue, and the bankswitch code here has a lot of flexibility in timing, so I'll figure it out as soon as I get some problem consoles here.

I'm in PDX too if you can't find that particular variant anywhere

I'm in PDX too if you can't find that particular variant anywhere

Thanks, I may take you up on that, though I do need to own a console that exhibits this issue, so I will keep looking for one.

Anyway, the plot thickens a little on this. I heard from KevinMos3 and his console has the same motherboard as mine, so now I'm thinking it could be different chips. I see there are several revisions of each chip (6502, Maria) and several different makers of RAM chips. Plus it seems they used varying families for the logic chips (HC. HCT, LS, etc) which could account for timing differences.

I don't envy that task, between the 2 7800's I own, and the 7 different serial "batches"...

There are ones like me that removed the "added timing circuit so one 2600 game runs" in order to make it compatible with the titles that broke.

I still can't wait for a Concerto!

Don't even worry about the final model that starts with serial number X... If it can't play Bob DeCrescenzo's Scramble and Kenfused's Beef Drop (forcing me to buy the 2nd 7800) it doesn't deserve a Concerto.

BTW, Serial X has killed Harmony a few too many times to where Harmony needed a bios reflashed, as well as killed two Dev Carts that had to be mailed back.

Thanks, I may take you up on that, though I do need to own a console that exhibits this issue, so I will keep looking for one.

Anyway, the plot thickens a little on this. I heard from KevinMos3 and his console has the same motherboard as mine, so now I'm thinking it could be different chips. I see there are several revisions of each chip (6502, Maria) and several different makers of RAM chips. Plus it seems they used varying families for the logic chips (HC. HCT, LS, etc) which could account for timing differences.

The one that came today is serial X. It exhibits the same symptoms as the one that came earlier this week (Concerto boots, 2600 games work, but it has trouble loading 7800 games.) Currently there seems no rhyme or reason to the symptoms - the other console is has motherboard -002 Rev A, and the system X is a Rev B. However, I have both a Rev A and B that work perfectly.

I will at least give it a try to get it working on this system X, because if it does work, that will save me a ton of trouble in the future from upset buyers. I'll pick up some more consoles and see what I can find out.

I want to get to the bottom of this, not just for me, but because it could help others down the line who are also having compatibility issues with certain 7800s.

• Like 3

The one that came today is serial X. It exhibits the same symptoms as the one that came earlier this week (Concerto boots, 2600 games work, but it has trouble loading 7800 games.) Currently there seems no rhyme or reason to the symptoms - the other console is has motherboard -002 Rev A, and the system X is a Rev B. However, I have both a Rev A and B that work perfectly.

I will at least give it a try to get it working on this system X, because if it does work, that will save me a ton of trouble in the future from upset buyers. I'll pick up some more consoles and see what I can find out.

I want to get to the bottom of this, not just for me, but because it could help others down the line who are also having compatibility issues with certain 7800s.

Well long ago I reported and posted pictures.

Beef Drop has a corrupted display.

Moon Cresta runs fine.

Scramble will not even boot (black screen).

However it seems to run all original 7800 carts perfectly.

With it killing hardware, are strong signals coming in to the cart thru the cart connector?

I'll only use real burned carts and Harmony (because at least I can recover from Harmony failing to start).

I would hope you find something out.

My Serial X was fresh and hardly used with perfect working buttons. I did cut the timing circuit cap out.

Why did you take the cap out? Is this a fix that others have tested? Any time I hear a machine has been modded I think start with restoring it to factory, and go from there.

The only negative effect is that it will make the 2600 version of Atari's Dark Chambers not work. Atari added the capacitor as part of a timing circuit to later 7800 models to make 2600 Dark Chambers work, but it rendered the Starpath Supercharger and a few Activision FE Bankswitched games unplayable - the 2600 version of Dark Chambers is awful. Those Activision games (Robot Tank, Decathlon, Space Shuttle) are among the best games ever made for the 2600, there's a 7800 version of Dark Chambers that's much better anyway, and if you REALLY want to play 2600 Dark Chambers on a modded 7800, it works through the Harmony cart.
  • Like 1

You know, random incompatibility among various revisions of 7800s almost made me not get a 7800. PMP multicart homebrew changed my mind and I picked up that Best AV modded console when I did! :)

So far I've had zero issues with any 7800 game I've tried, retail or homebrew. Food Fight was a common problem game or so I heard. I do most of my serious 2600 gaming on my 4-switch woody, unless the 7800 is already set up under the CRT, I'll use that. I didn't crack my cart slot for the first time until 2015 when I inserted Activision's awesome Spider Fighter. Now with a 1mm gap in the slot, it accepts everything in my collection except for Imagic shells. But I've never done extensive testing on mine with problem games. All I can say is it doesn't have an indent for the expansion port anywhere on the MB or case.

• Like 1

Batari, Take your time. I have been waiting a long time to get a cart like this so can its worth waiting to get some more compatibility issues ironed out.

However, and speaking from a zero tech background if its impossible to make the Concerto compatible with all Rev's of the Atari 7800 then it is what it is and I would still be happy to get your cart :)

I bought a Concerto at PRGE figuring it would be my gateway to revisiting the 2600 and 7800 at the same time, but having had it and a borrowed 7800 in the house for a while, I've come to two conclusions:

1. I can live without the 7800 library, but I'm excited to explore the 2600

2. I like the way 2600 games look on a 2600 better than on a 7800

So while this cart is awesome, I think I'm planning on getting rid of this and instead getting a real Sunnyvale low serial heavy sixer and a Harmony Encore instead. If anyone is voraciously wanting a Concerto and can help me get those things, hit me up.

I bought a Concerto at PRGE figuring it would be my gateway to revisiting the 2600 and 7800 at the same time, but having had it and a borrowed 7800 in the house for a while, I've come to two conclusions:

1. I can live without the 7800 library, but I'm excited to explore the 2600

2. I like the way 2600 games look on a 2600 better than on a 7800

So while this cart is awesome, I think I'm planning on getting rid of this and instead getting a real Sunnyvale low serial heavy sixer and a Harmony Encore instead. If anyone is voraciously wanting a Concerto and can help me get those things, hit me up.

What is the going rate for a Concerto?

I think I paid $139 at the show, I can't remember though (batari?). I'm not necessarily asking for a straight up trade, just that I'm looking for those two things.

Bare console + cart seemed fair to me if anyone happened to have both, but I can meet somewhere in the middle. Mostly I'm just looking to secure a sixer from a trustable community instead of blindly buying on ebay.

Edited by TheRedEye