IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

well, There was the Cuttle Cart 2 - that exists, but is no longer in production or being supported.

there was another attempt at making one in the Concerto/Harmony 7800 cart, which also exists in limited beta quantities, but it's not really finished and isn't compatible on all 7800 motherboard revisions. It also appears to have become abandonware.

Yeah the Concerto was sadly a clusterfuck of a disaster. I have no idea why compatibility was so poor compared to the Cuttle Cart 2. Hokey (Pokey replacement) also by Batari sadly seems to fast becoming abandonware. :sad:

It would be great if Igor/Krikzz would drop one on us, but he only concentrates on retro systems with large enough audiences that make a profit for him that existed in Asia or Russia, which is understandable.

Atari did not have a presence in Asia which is why there have been no clone systems for it (excepting the Flashback 2). Krikzz lives in the Ukraine which was part of the former Soviet Union. Most of the popular sytems in Japan got bootleg versions released in China and the Soviet Union. Dendy for example was a bootleg PAL Famicom with system timings that gave it a higher compatibility with NTSC software compared to PAL NES systems. Sega and Nintendo had a global presence but Atari was mostly the Americas and Western Europe. Remember the Ukraine belonged to the Soviet Union, so Atari really did not have a presence in the Eastern Block regions.

So it is natural Krikzz wants nothing to do with Atari consoles since there was zero exposure to them in his homeland.

Yeah the Concerto was sadly a clusterfuck of a disaster. I have no idea why compatibility was so poor compared to the Cuttle Cart 2. Hokey (Pokey replacement) also by Batari sadly seems to fast becoming abandonware. :sad:

Yeah... about this. I understand you had some issues with yours, and you got frustrated and destroyed it. I also read a lot of other posts about it and it looks like he made between 50-80 beta devices, and the compatibility was pretty good for most users, some had minor issues, a small number had major issues like you did. So pretty much what you would expect from any homebrew electronics product still in beta. The fact that you opted to destroy it instead of spending any time testing another console to rule out that as the problem is unfortunate.

Atari did not have a presence in Asia which is why there have been no clone systems for it (excepting the Flashback 2). Krikzz lives in the Ukraine which was part of the former Soviet Union. Most of the popular sytems in Japan got bootleg versions released in China and the Soviet Union. Dendy for example was a bootleg PAL Famicom with system timings that gave it a higher compatibility with NTSC software compared to PAL NES systems. Sega and Nintendo had a global presence but Atari was mostly the Americas and Western Europe. Remember the Ukraine belonged to the Soviet Union, so Atari really did not have a presence in the Eastern Block regions.

So it is natural Krikzz wants nothing to do with Atari consoles since there was zero exposure to them in his homeland.

I guess that would make some sense. Though, with the existence of ebay, and the internet for the last 20 years I would think that dynamic would be irrelevant at this point since anyone, anywhere on the planet can buy anything they want, essentially.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

• 5 months later...

Any existing 7800 carts made that can play 7800 roms? Don't care about 2600 as there is already a cart for that.

As others have said 2600 rom support isn't worth the effort as 7800 is lacking support in this area from what I can find.

This site.

2-part hardware.

MVBD connects to computer and all his Carts.

The 7800 Cart has 16 “slots” to upload game binaries.

There is a switch to load bigger games (uses 2 “slots” so 8 large games). No Pokey option.

Contact him and see if any are available, or check eBay.

I own the Vectrex and 7800 Carts (and MVBD).

http://www.vectrex.hackermesh.org/index.php/en/mvbd-mvmc-3/introduction-mvbd-mvmc

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

There is a switch to load bigger games (uses 2 “slots” so 8 large games). No Pokey option.

What do you mean no Pokey option? There is an empty socket on the Mateos 16 in 1 for a person to install their own Pokey into so that pokey enabled games will work with it. It doesn't come with a Pokey on it no...but I wouldn't say it isn't an option.

I do wonder what has happened to Juan though. As I understand it, he has dropped off the grid completely for nearly half a year now?

• Like 1

Well, I have been feeling extremely nostalgic about Atari for some time now, but it's been difficult to track down a 7800 here (7800 was never released in Japan). I finally found a decent priced 7800 on Ebay that allegedly (hopefully) works and won it. I also got the cheapest/easier composite AV mod, so this will be my holiday electronics project I guess. I ALSO got a Uno Cart, as most of what I want to play is 2600 games.

Having said that, I have extreme nostalgia for the 7800, which was the system I enjoyed between my hand-me-down 2600 and the NES I eventually got. Even once I got an NES I still swapped back and forth between it and the 7800, as I loved playing my 2600/7800 collection for many years even after getting the NES.

SO, here's another voice adding to chorus: I would love to see a 7800 SD cart; the system has a small but really great library and tracking the games down through ebay/amazon (the only option outside of the US) is prohibitively expensive.

The 7800 will be next after the Jag. The JagSD has been rather complex (to say the least), so I'm looking forward to designing a simpler cart! :) The JagSD is basically finished now, I'm aiming for first quarter next year for production. I should have a good amount of time to dedicate to retro fun come the new year as I have a few projects coming to an end at the moment, one being a new studio / lab / office / thing for me to work in. That's taken a lot of my time over the last few months!

• Like 13

The 7800 will be next after the Jag. The JagSD has been rather complex (to say the least), so I'm looking forward to designing a simpler cart! :) The JagSD is basically finished now, I'm aiming for first quarter next year for production. I should have a good amount of time to dedicate to retro fun come the new year as I have a few projects coming to an end at the moment, one being a new studio / lab / office / thing for me to work in. That's taken a lot of my time over the last few months!

Yeah I think a break from Batari's efforts on the 7800 will be fruitful. Perhaps a fresh start rather than building it off the older design of the Harmony. Timings on 7800 hardware can be a bear to get right.

Given its history, it might be better to forgo 2600 compatibility and just work on 7800 games - but maybe it will ultimately need to come with a drop-in 7800 board that is certified compatible. :roll:

Honestly, given the fact there are two competing flashcarts for 2600, both of which run flawlessly on nearly all 7800 board revisions, I think the focus should be on 7800 ROM compatibility first. If it also plays 2600 ROMs, that is a bonus, ie not mandatory, much like SMS compatibility is on the Genesis Everdrives.

Batari built his Concerto cart around existing Harmony hardware, and while it worked great for some, it did not for me. Ultimately lack of support led to frustration on my end. The fact that Harmony Encore bios loaded flawlessly on my Concerto, made it clear that hardware originally optimized for 2600 was being re-purposed for the 7800.

That would explain why my Concerto loaded 2600 ROMs just fine (those not requiring Melody enhanced bankswitch modes) but crippling corruption issues made the 7800 games all but useless. Others reported similar issues with various 7800 hardware revisions. Sorry but Batari's advice to "go out and buy another 7800" which may or may not have the same issues, wasn't acceptable.

• Like 2

I think to play old hardware yoy bave to have at least 4 good controllers and 2 consoles of each..nice to have backups.

The concerto was sold as a beta release try if you dare. Well some of us gave her a whirl with mixed results.

I don't doubt batari could make whatever he wanted but life got in the way.

Whats the greastest 2600 multi ever? Harmony.

• Like 5

I think to play old hardware yoy bave to have at least 4 good controllers and 2 consoles of each..nice to have backups.

The concerto was sold as a beta release try if you dare. Well some of us gave her a whirl with mixed results.

I don't doubt batari could make whatever he wanted but life got in the way.

Whats the greastest 2600 multi ever? Harmony.

Well, I try not to hoard. My space is utterly too cluttered as it is. I do have a 4-switch Atari, and AV modded Gemini, and an AV modded 7800 (AV mod by Best). The 7800 has the cleanest picture.

Then I have an NES toaster, Famicom, AVS, SNES, Super NT, Geneis, Preorder Mega-SG, a Super Retro Trio (one of the nicer 3-in-1 clones they ever made), etc. One Turbografx, one smoke clear N64 (with LEDs and an Ultra HDMI mod), a Game Cube DOL-001 with HDMI adapter, A Wii-U, and a Switch. My Wii was on life support by the time I transferred my save data over. I also got multiples of some handhelds, but that is another story. Generally one of each system is sufficient, assuming they are readily available and affordable to replace.

I like to have two of each system if I can and in many cases...I tend to have quite a few more than that LOL. I have at least 6 2600 systems of various models. I'm sitting on about 3 5200s now and 3 different 7800s. You get the idea....

• Like 2

I have 13 x A8 computers right now (I think - I may have missed one along the way), 2 x 5200's (one of those is currently down for the count but I'll figure out what's up eventually), 2 x 7800's, and 5 x 2600's but one of those needs a new TIA (again, I'll get around to fixing it someday).

Spares are a necessity in this hobby, in my opinion.

Also, multi-carts. I hope SainT can come through! :)

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2