IGNORED

Intellivision Horse Racing sold more systems than you think

Mazerati

yup believe it or not back in the day my family was in the horse racing industry and Intellivision horse racing was very popular amongst the people in the industry and the gamblers...at the time this was the only horse racing game out and the fact that it looked and played great helped...i know many people that bought the system just to play Horse Racing in fact the horse racing game is the main reason my dad bought me the Intellivision for Chriatmas and it was my 1st cart

I always liked this game a lot. Any time I went to my friend's house (he was the only one with an Intellivision close by), I'd make sure we got a little Horse Racing in. Still like it. I even bought a few random ones over the years, but none since I had my Saturn.. and that game turned out to be a simulation, not a true horse racing game.

edit: me can't spell horse wright

Edited by slab0meat

Horse Racing was another leap ahead of everything else at the time. The people that figured out how to do betting and also action at the same time were geniuses. I hadn't seen anything comparable until I found Stakes Winner on the Neo Geo (played on my Dreamcast of course).

the best horse racing games are on the neo geo. The neo geo and the intellivision are both the far superior underdogs of their time.

• 8 years later...
On 10/13/2014 at 9:38 PM, Mazerati said:

yup believe it or not back in the day my family was in the horse racing industry and Intellivision horse racing was very popular amongst the people in the industry and the gamblers...at the time this was the only horse racing game out and the fact that it looked and played great helped...i know many people that bought the system just to play Horse Racing in fact the horse racing game is the main reason my dad bought me the Intellivision for Chriatmas and it was my 1st cart

Chris Hawley would really appreciate these kind words. APh was given "Horse Racing" as a theme, with no direction as to gameplay, and it was a bit of a challenge to develop that theme into a compelling game. (For those who haven't played it, it's a game of wits, compelling to those who enjoy studying the statistics published in the Racing Form and using their analysis to inform their betting. It's most fun as a multi-player game, where the challenge is to out-analyze and so out-earn your friends.)

There are actually even a few people who like Las Vegas Roulette because its full support of complex betting combinations let them test their playing strategies. I doubt any of them post here, though. I myself find Roulette to actually be a very good implementation of a lackluster concept. Chang and APh, and later Baum, tried really hard not to release total trash.

On 10/14/2014 at 9:22 AM, pimpmaul69 said:

The game the intellivision is missing is "Las Vegas Slots"

Slots exists and was used as a TV Powww! game. Craps exists too, but wasn't completed or released.

• Like 4