IGNORED

No more homebrews for me

Dryfter

So, I realized the major reason why I stopped coming to the forums as much as I used to. There's not really much left to discuss about the original 125 (and people don't seem to talk about them as much as they used to). So the boards have become a posting grounds for and about homebrews. Most posts are about when they'll come out, how many will be available, preordering, etc. etc.

The main issue for me is that the prices in the last 12-24 months have jumped a lot. It wasn't too bad when they cost $40-$50 a piece but now most prices start at $70 a pop.. I mean hell, I paid $70 each for League of Light and Robot Rubble. I think people are willing to pay 10x that amount for those titles now. (No, not selling...)

I understand there's a lot of work that goes into these, especially since the creators make them complete with boxes, instructions and overlays and the collectors enjoy them. I'm sure the prices aren't just pulled out of the air and I know that the creators aren't making a living off making them...I get it.

The nail in my homebrew collecting coffin happened when I saw that only 30 copies of Blix were created. It actually was a bit of a relief for me because I know I'll most likely never get it, so I don't feel compelled to get the other games that have come out recently that I don't have. I may pick up one here or there if they are games that I remember as a kid that never were released on the INTV but for the most part, I won't be getting any more.

Thanks to all the guys that put so much time in to making a lot of these games. It has been exciting picking them up and feeling that same excitement like when I was a kid and my dad would bring a game home for me and opening it up and playing it. Keep making them for those that enjoy them and know that you're probably giving some of them that same feeling.

What I really like the most is the conversations I've had with many of the "homebrewers" over the years. I feel like I can just reach out to them to see how things are going without actually having to talk about the Intellivision. Special thanks to David and Joe who I've had a lot of conversations with and Roger who hasn't been on the scene in a long time but I'll still thank. I've gotten a lot of Intellivision insight and knowledge from you guys.

As for me I'll stop with the 25 homebrews I currently. Original 125+25 homebrews = a nice round 150 for me.

I'm sure this post will cause a little controversy and maybe it's meant to do so. But really it's just me posting what I feel. :)

Thanks guys!

• Like 6

I'm not sure the high homebrew prices are here to stay. No one's happy about the $75 homebrews, but many of us still buy them in the hopes that some of the original one time costs (molds, dies, etc) that are figured into pricing will eventually be paid for. Also, some of the current/recent homebrews are still $60 (though $50 would be nice). Also, the two upcoming flash carts are both cheaper than the CC3, and the HIVE is only half the price. Also, the recent announcement of some developers' intent to distribute free ROMs is very promising.

I could just be overly optimistic, but it's not all bad news and I think the market will drive a push for more affordable releases. It's too small of a market for prices to outpace the comfort level of the gamer/collector buyer base. The more people that shy away from high prices, the more likely a correction...or not.

Also, I'd gladly discuss 125. You know what's a great game? Worm Whomper :)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

Also, I'd gladly discuss 125. You know what's a great game? Worm Whomper :)

Worm Whomper is one that I never played as a kid (never had it) but when I tried it after collecting all the games, quickly became one of my favorites. That and "Shark! Shark!" were games I regrettably missed as a kid. They are GREAT games.

• Like 6

I think both CollectorVision and Elektronite have had to deal with the higher costs associated with boxed products and licensing titles. Hopefully we will support people attempting to make original titles and focus less on packaging.

I think the Intellivision collecting crowd as a whole LOVES packaging. One of the things that was great about the Intellivision when it came out was the boxes for the games. They lent themselves to be saved because they were more like books than boxes. That's why you see so many boxed games around still and complete collections all with boxes.

An Intellivision game without a box is like a hot dog without a bun. :)

• Like 4

I think the Intellivision collecting crowd as a whole LOVES packaging. One of the things that was great about the Intellivision when it came out was the boxes for the games. They lent themselves to be saved because they were more like books than boxes. That's why you see so many boxed games around still and complete collections all with boxes.

Keeping the manual and overlays for games was also crucial to being able to play it! So many of the games we got at the beginning really needed that. Imagine trying to learn to play NFL football without the playbooks, for example.

Sad to see you sitting out. There have been many great games released, and more to come. Believe me, it makes my wallet cry in pain even as my heart sings for joy when new games are announced.

Worm Whomper is one that I never played as a kid (never had it) but when I tried it after collecting all the games, quickly became one of my favorites. That and "Shark! Shark!" were games I regrettably missed as a kid. They are GREAT games.

I also never owned Worm Whomper as a kid. It's one of my current favorite games, however all of the Activision games are solid. My set feels so empty without Robot Rubble and League of Light, but if it's meant to happen it will.

I've played some Shark Shark, but I'm not great. I need to put some more time into that one.

Just like i never had Beamrider as a kid and fell in love with it.

• Like 1

I

I am in the same boat never had them as a kid . Love them now both great games .

if I could get my hands on another copy of Worm Whomper . I heard someone in St Louis is hoarding them :)

I agree!

I played a game of AD&D Cloudy Mountain tonight and assembled the crown for the first time in years. It felt pretty good. Nostalgia kicked in. Maybe I'll play again :)

Ok, also played some Beamrider tonight and just got a new high score of 29,986 in Sector 14. My last highest score was in June 2012. I need to figure out how to avoid that red thing in Sector 14 :(

Yea 125!

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 1

I played a game of AD&D Cloudy Mountain tonight and assembled the crown for the first time in years. It felt pretty good. Nostalgia kicked in. Maybe I'll play again :)

Ok, also played some Beamrider tonight and just got a new high score of 29,986 in Sector 14. My last highest score was in June 2012. I need to figure out how to avoid that red thing in Sector 14 :(

Yea 125!

Great job Jason you just inspired me!

Both those games sound fun right now, I will play them after work today! Super Beamrider score too..... ;-)

• Like 1

IIRC Keith Robinson mentioned in an Intellivisionaries episode about the push-pull of "make a product for mass-market fun" vs "make a product for the collector". It kind of goes along with this thread....

Many of us label recent Intellivision releases as Homebrew, which sounds Ike something someone hacked out after-hours without a lot of thought in order to scratch a personal itch, and was released on no particular schedule. However, stuff like DKII or Xmas Carol is far beyond that and should be labeled Independent because they show as much quality as anything that came from conpanies that the the big 125.

A Homebrew should be something that is made on the cheap with appeal to a wide audience not necessarily a lot of depth, PDF docs, and is inexpensive. Air Hockey as part of Paddle Party is really really good and I think that if that was on a recycled cart with a nice label no box or overlays for $20 it would be in everyone's hands right now. Paddle Party at $70 was a non-starter for me, I could not get one until the last go-around and now that I have it guess what I only play Air Hockey with the kids. I could also see Air Hockey released on the Flashback2 if one comes out, because it's easy to pick up and fast and fun. Mass market appeal of the Homebrew.

Full Independent releases like Kroz and Carol I expect to pay top dollar for CIB, but they appeal to a much smaller audience. There is obviously a real business investment and risk in producing something with new cart+overlays+manual+box that has to be recouped (not counting $100+ an hour in developer time). But the fact is that if I have $200 in disposable income I can get two $70 games or I can get six $30 games. So I understand where Dryfter is coming from, I think he and I are more into playing something good on a fun console than getting the whole Intellivision Coolector Experience. Independents are for collectors. Homebrews are for collectors plus everyone else.

Maybe in the 90's I decided to throw away all my boxes and put the carts on a wall-mounted shelf, overlays in a baseball card collector binder, and manuals in a box. All of the carts, organized by Network, ready to play. I wish there were more Homebrew and less Independent Label releases to support my limited free time for Intellivision playing.

Edited by Tinty
  • Like 1

I can see a license adding to the cost of a game but there are other games that don't have that overhead and are the same price. Add in the cost of shipping and some games are $80 each!

I really don't get how some on here can afford to buy multiple copies of a game a number of times over, based on the number of games released in each year (including several within months or weeks of each other). I really would like to know where all these thousands of dollars disposable income are coming from because I'd like to be a part of that club too.

Edited by bikeguychicago
  • Like 1

I can see a license adding to the cost of a game but there are other games that don't have that overhead and are the same price. Add in the cost of shipping and some games are $80 each!

I really don't get how some on here can afford to buy multiple copies of a game a number of times over, based on the number of games released in each year (including several within months or weeks of each other). I really would like to know where all these thousands of dollars disposable income are coming from because I'd like to be a part of that club too.

Intellimafia

• Like 2

There's only one game I keep hearing in the $80 (plus shipping) category and that had an unfortunate set of circumstances leading to unexpected costs. I'm probably getting this wrong because no one has specified what is being mentioned. What are these $80 dollar games we're talking about?

I think both CollectorVision and Elektronite have had to deal with the higher costs associated with boxed products and licensing titles. Hopefully we will support people attempting to make original titles and focus less on packaging.

Nah... our first step into INtv cost us alot of money, this's will NOT be the case for the upcoming titles

As an example, Princess Quest will be $55

Trust me, we always do everything to keep the retail price as low as possible

:)

• Like 6