IGNORED

Homebrews No Longer Obtainable?

PFL

I thinking about all the wonderful homebrew games that come out for the VCS and it got me thinking about all the game cart releases that I missed. I was also thinking of the recent Princess Rescue and (especially) Boulder Dash releases. Thanks to Sprybug people can still play Princess Rescue through emulation or on a Harmony cart. Sadly, though, people will never be able to play Boulder dash in such a fashion...

So, my question is this: Are there other homebrew games released (on cart or ROM file) that one can no longer obtain? I'm sure there must be more than just Boulder Dash... What gems have I missed over the years?

Princess Rescue is probably the big one since it got a Cease & Desist order from Nintendo after the game went viral and IGN did a review. I also owned BoulderDash at one time, but decided to let it go after a year of owning it. Nice piece of kit, but the game wasn't for me. And no, the Boulderdash ROM was never released. :sad:

This will probably make you cringe though...

post-33189-0-01062000-1392713326.jpg

My sealed Princess Rescue carefully guarded by an army of Bowsers, mhua-hua-hua... :evil:

And yes, before you ask, I also own a loose player's copy :)

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 2

Every release I have is limited and one time only.

Strangeland

Army of Darkness

Phantasm

Gosub

Gosub 2

Alien Greed

Alien Greed 2

Alien Greed 3

I don't even remember what else I have released. Anyone have a list? :-D

Why limited edition? Collecting for rarity or exclusiveness is dumb. Collecting to play games is fun. Making limited run homebrews only deprives people who come late to the party. At least do like they do with many NintendoAge releases. Release a limited edition for collectors, then a few months later, a regular release for gamers is issued, usually with slight changes to the ROM and label so collectors can tell them apart.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 4

Why limited edition? Collecting for rarity or exclusiveness is dumb. Collecting to play games is fun. Making limited run homebrews only deprives people who come late to the party. At least do like they do with many NintendoAge releases. Release a limited edition for collectors, then a few months later, a regular release for gamers is issued, usually with slight changes to the ROM and label so collectors can tell them apart.

Because I do this for fun as a hobby not a business. When I am finished with one it is finished and I am on to the next one. With my last release, Strangeland, I had three tiers.

1. Cartridge and manual only

2. Cartridge, manual and box

3. Cartridge, manual, box, movie and extras.

Copies were available for at least a week so I think that most people who wanted one were able to get a copy. The best thing to do is check into my Facebook page or the NEO Zone and you will have notice of what is coming up.

I use to release final BIN's for the games but got tired of seeing fake copies sold on EBAY all the time. Now I don't mind releasing a prototype or a work in progress BIN but I make sure that they are very early versions.

For some games like Wolfenstein VCS I just turned everything over for AtariAge to handle.

• Like 3

Because I do this for fun as a hobby not a business. When I am finished with one it is finished and I am on to the next one. With my last release, Strangeland, I had three tiers.

1. Cartridge and manual only

2. Cartridge, manual and box

3. Cartridge, manual, box, movie and extras.

Copies were available for at least a week so I think that most people who wanted one were able to get a copy. The best thing to do is check into my Facebook page or the NEO Zone and you will have notice of what is coming up.

I use to release final BIN's for the games but got tired of seeing fake copies sold on EBAY all the time. Now I don't mind releasing a prototype or a work in progress BIN but I make sure that they are very early versions.

For some games like Wolfenstein VCS I just turned everything over for AtariAge to handle.

Why can't you still turn everything over to AtariAge to handle?

• Like 2

the question is how many people that are trying to obtain Limited Edition games, already own all the currently available ones?

my guess would be very few if any. the thing is the fact that it's limited edition, and no longer obtainable, makes it more desirable. so with that being said what homebrew author would not want to do it a limited edition?

just saying, sad but true Limited Edition games sell better and are far more collectible. I'm still missing about 10 games currently available in the Atariage store, but I still threw a nice bid at Boulder - when it was on eBay.

• Like 1

If there is demand for a game after it's release then I will, if it is possible. Most of the games that I release could have copyright issues if they were sold on an ongoing basis. For games like Phantasm and Army of Darkness I was able to speak directly to the copyright holders and they did not mind a limited hobby release but it would cause issues if sold on an ongoing basis.

I think Alien Greed 2 is one of the most playable homebrews out there and it is a shame that more people have not played it. The problem is that there were too many people involved in making that game turn out like it did and it wouldn't be fair to sell that game unless everyone involved was able to get something out of it.

because less people would buy his game knowing they would be available in the store shortly after. when something is available in the store in unlimited quantities people tend to put it off and by the limited edition stuff first so they don't miss it. Edited by Crazy Climber

because less people would buy his game knowing they would be available in the store shortly after. when something is available in the store in unlimited quantities people tend to put it off and by the limited edition stuff first so they don't miss it.

Ouch. I actually started the releases due to demand for the games. I was perfectly happy to have my own copies and to leave it at that. I could easily double the number of copies of each game and they would sell but even 50-60 copies is way too much work.

If there is demand for a game after it's release then I will, if it is possible. Most of the games that I release could have copyright issues if they were sold on an ongoing basis. For games like Phantasm and Army of Darkness I was able to speak directly to the copyright holders and they did not mind a limited hobby release but it would cause issues if sold on an ongoing basis.

I think Alien Greed 2 is one of the most playable homebrews out there and it is a shame that more people have not played it. The problem is that there were too many people involved in making that game turn out like it did and it wouldn't be fair to sell that game unless everyone involved was able to get something out of it.

That's fair. You possibly could strip the copyrighted material out and keep the gameplay intact, and then give it to Albert. I'd like to play some of these, but I don't always have the cash on hand whenever it comes up.

the question is how many people that are trying to obtain Limited Edition games, already own all the currently available ones?

I think that's an unfair argument. Not many people want or can afford everything. Like many gamers, there are titles that don't interest me.

it wasn't meant as an insult, people just tend to put off regularly available releases and purchase limited editions first. I'm guilty of it too, which is why I asked the first question, how many people trying to track down limited edition stuff own all the currently available releases :)

I've got in excess of 25 AtariAge homebrews, and a Sentinel Repro by CPUWiz. Won't touch Hozer's stuff though. Currently my only Atari Homebrew outside of official AtariAge releases is Endless Snow, and also the PMP Multicart for 7800. I plan on picking up PMP's 320 mode Pacman homebrews as well some point in the future. Not sure who to ask about those though or if they're still being offered. I've already got every Pacman port available in the AA store and plan on getting a standalone Pacman Collection as well even though I technically own it in the PMP Multicart.

• Like 1

Like I said, this is a hobby. Albert does way too much for me to charge a royalty. Whatever has been made by Wolfenstein over the years couldn't be enough to make up for him taking the time to make these releases possible.

There is no need to charge any royalty. Lots of hacks and even a few games are sold royalty free.