IGNORED

Homebrews No Longer Obtainable?

PFL

Afaik all games that are published via the AA store currently run on melody boards (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but only games that make use the melody ARM beyond emulating a banking scheme carry the label "Melody Enhanced".

Correction. :P

• Like 1

Afaik all games that are published via the AA store currently run on melody boards (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but only games that make use the melody ARM beyond emulating a banking scheme carry the label "Melody Enhanced".

No, I use four different boards for 2600 homebrew games. Melody boards are currently only used for DPC+ games (Stay Frosty 2, Space Rocks, Chetiry, Epic Adventure, and a few others). Star Castle Arcade uses an Aria board, which features a less expensive ARM processor.

..Al

• Like 2

Correction. :P

No, I use four different boards for 2600 homebrew games. Melody boards are currently only used for DPC+ games (Stay Frosty 2, Space Rocks, Chetiry, Epic Adventure, and a few others). Star Castle Arcade uses an Aria board, which features a less expensive ARM processor.

..Al

I already had a nagging feeling in the back of my head when writing this --- I should've listened to it. Thanks for the clarification :)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1

I did. I liked the second one (yours?) More. Seemed more polished. Other one was good though.

I like them both - the one in the AA store is a bit fancier. It's a toss up. Both are challenging in different ways. The mines in the discontinued version are a pain in the butt. In the AA store version, it's the resiliency of the shields that makes me crazy.

I see that Thomas was in on the Arcade version. Thomas' games are always challenging & addictive. Star Castle Arcade is going on my wish list!

• Like 2

I like them both - the one in the AA store is a bit fancier. It's a toss up. Both are challenging in different ways. The mines in the discontinued version are a pain in the butt. In the AA store version, it's the resiliency of the shields that makes me crazy.

I see that Thomas was in on the Arcade version. Thomas' games are always challenging & addictive. Star Castle Arcade is going on my wish list!

I had a turbo button and just posted up in the discontinued one. I could have gone forever in one spot

People tend to make good on their threats and TJ made good on his for the reason he cited; instead of keeping me on ignore he follows me around posting to other programmers I'm talking to with repeat posts crossing out the different names as he gives them orders to ignore me.

I've been reading Thomas Jentzsch's posts for over 10 years now. He has never stalked or threatened anyone. He's a good guy. He has never told me to ignore anyone but if he did tell me to ignore you I would do it.

• Like 10

In the AA store version, it's the resiliency of the shields that makes me crazy.

I see that Thomas was in on the Arcade version.

Yup, that's why the shields require two hits. I was trying to replicate the Arcade version and the resulting gameplay as faithful as possible.

Except for one thing: While this version is still challenging, the Arcade version is getting brutally hard very fast. That wouldn't work for >90% of the people playing it at home. So I reduced the difficulty ramp up significantly.

Star Castle Arcade is going on my wish list!

:)

• Like 2

I had a turbo button and just posted up in the discontinued one. I could have gone forever in one spot

I need to try the Kickstarter version with my homemade Starplex. It has a turbo switch that swaps fire output to a 555 timer tuned to 10Hz. I can crack the shield pretty quick by parking next to it with Turbo enabled, although the instant a hole opens up, my ship gets blasted out of the sky in the AA version. Fortunately in the AA verison, the stage still advances even if my ship dies after destroying the star.

• Like 1

I've been reading Thomas Jentzsch's posts for over 10 years now. He has never stalked or threatened anyone. He's a good guy. He has never told me to ignore anyone but if he did tell me to ignore you I would do it.

Then please go away and follow his advice, I can't take the whineage and I would prefer if TJ and the "Atari Jerks" would stop following me around whining whenever I talk shop with other programmers; why not join in the conversations instead?

They are harmless nerds with too much estrogen, but I find it disturbing when they start circling 12 year olds with disabilities - imo we wouldn't need an age indicator on the avatars if the "Atari Jerks" could simply disband and act like normal people. I like the other group Xype, you get to pick too.

For the Kickstarter Star Castle, yes the ROM was made available, but only initially to the KS backers who got the full limited release package. Then years later it was made available to everyone else.

Not a homebrew, but I wish I hadn't missed out on the short run of Pink Panther & Power Lords.

Would have liked Evil Magician Returns. I hope that gets a re-release if part II ever gets a cart. If it came with two nice boxes that would be epic.

Guess you missed me selling my copies of all three last year...

I need to try the Kickstarter version with my homemade Starplex. It has a turbo switch that swaps fire output to a 555 timer tuned to 10Hz. I can crack the shield pretty quick by parking next to it with Turbo enabled, although the instant a hole opens up, my ship gets blasted out of the sky in the AA version. Fortunately in the AA verison, the stage still advances even if my ship dies after destroying the star.

I was tired of holding the turbo around 9000 points and let go. :-P

Darn! Should have had you add the turbo switch. :)

• Like 1

I was wondering: In the type of Xype, or with other earlier hombrews, were there any promotional materials released with the games, like stickers, posters or high score patches? Thanks

I've got fridge magnets that came with Pacman 4k, Chetiry, Halo 2600, and Space Rocks. I also got a 6" papercraft arcade cabinet that came with my Star Castle CIB. As well a number of other promotional magnets from Atariage and Stone Age Gamer which I stuck on my beer fridge. Nevermind that leech thing, I don't know where that came from! :lol: :lolblue:

I've got fridge magnets that came with Pacman 4k, Chetiry, Halo 2600, and Space Rocks. I also got a 6" papercraft arcade cabinet that came with my Star Castle CIB. As well a number of other promotional magnets from Atariage and others which I stuck on my beer fridge. Nevermind that leech thing, I don't know where that came from! :lol: :lolblue:

You're missing several magnets.

• Like 2