IGNORED

Atari Jaguar UK upload from Edge magazine courtesy of Lost Dragon

high voltage

One of the best and most objective articles I've glanced over for some time.

Even these guys, the first on the scene (arguably), state that this machine isn't meant for Texture Mapped gaming applications and that it's best at gourad and flat shaded polygon pushing, as evidenced best by Iron Solider imo.

I really feel that if Atari had pushed further with making immersive, flat-shaded experiences, potentially engaging with VR/Virtuality earlier on, the Jaguar could have remained relevant in its own right. think the Wii alongside the PS3/360) etc.

Granted, 'you' want to be a leader in the technological sense of the industry, but as the Wii proved, you don't have to be via clever innovations in gameplay initiatives...

• Like 1

Nice to see article has gone down well already.Your lucky it's been one of the articles 'we' could get up here and was'nt a 16 MB image like some of the scans :-).

I thought it was a pretty balanced look at the Jaguar and ATD (as well as Rebellion) had the common sense to compare the Jaguar to a 66 MHZ 486 PC and basically explain what users were getting for their money, price wise and what was realistic to expect from it.Later era UK Press simply went batshit crazy comparing Jaguar (and 3DO) games to Saturn/PS1.Totally unrealistic.

I'd really of loved to hear more on ATD's work bug testing the Jaguar.What exactly they found, asked to be improved and wether the advice was acted on.

More articles to follow all being well.

The ending is so bizarre. "They're talking 1995 for the Jaguar 2" followed by the idea of Jaguar being a "future proof" machine because you can run old software.

I understand what ATD is trying to say... but I don't think of the PlayStation 1 as future proof just because the PS4 can play PS1 games.

An interesting article nonetheless. Thanks for facilitating the scanning!