IGNORED

Superchef burgertime help on emulators

If the first byte is 0x41 or 0xA8, it's a .ROM file, not a .BIN file.

If the first byte is 0x00, then it's more likely a .BIN file. (.INT is a name some ROMs sites invented, and is a synonym for .BIN.) If it's a .BIN or .INT file, you need a .CFG file to go with it.

No idea what trouble you might be having. That said, I thought I heard SuperChef was an "emulators only" release anyway, and not guaranteed to work on an Inty 2, for example. Not that I follow it all that closely.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I am humbled by how nice you guys are.

I also appreciate being able to tell more of the "technical details". I will reference this going forward...

I also wanted to report back.

For fun, I have tried to build the Raspberry Pi using RetroPie several times, and along the way, I thought I would do updates, etc...

This is where I went wrong...

I tried the basic build, and the original version of BurgerTime2 SuperChef works. So, there is something that became corrupt along the way.

I have been learning a lot on which files need .cfg files, and am now down to a small handfull of titles that won't play.

Making progress...

I plan to install the Pi into one of the flashbacks I have.

Thank you again for all of your help!!!!!

Edited by thedishking
  • Like 1

Just downloaded it, but i am having as issue right off the bat. I loaded the exe and grom, but every rom i try to run it flashes the title screen for half a second and closes and goes back to the gui. hmm

I ran into this problem. There is an exec.bin file out there that is an unofficial one (avoid copyright issues?) but has compatibility issues with a number of games. Get the real exec.bin and you should be ok.

• Like 3

• 6 years later...
On 12/24/2014 at 9:59 AM, pimpmaul69 said:
On 12/21/2014 at 7:55 PM, Lathe26 said:

I ran into this problem. There is an exec.bin file out there that is an unofficial one (avoid copyright issues?) but has compatibility issues with a number of games. Get the real exec.bin and you should be ok.

that was his problem. I helped him solve that.

Hi guys, I am having the exact same trouble with Super chef BT. I must have the unofficial version of exec.bin. Anyone care to help me? Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, juancho said:

Hi guys, I am having the exact same trouble with Super chef BT. I must have the unofficial version of exec.bin. Anyone care to help me? Thanks in advance.

Where did you get it from?  The intellivision rom collections on archive.org all have the official executive rom.  Make sure it's unzipped and named exec.bin.  What emulator are you using?  If standard Mattel roms like night stalker or baseball work, you have the official exec.bin.

I am trying with Jzintv and Librettro.

All the official Intellivision roms run fine. I can also run some home brews like Ms Night Stalker and Super Pro Baseball.

The ones I am not able to run are Super Chef BurgerTime (a screen flickers for one second and it goes back to the games list as described in a post above).

MsPacman only gives me a black screen.

Thanks for any help.

If other mattel cartridges work then you have the official executive rom.  Superchef is typically in cuttlecart3 format I believe with a .rom extension.  It should work as is in jzintv but not in libretro without a format conversion.  Ms pacman was not compatible with old versions of jzintv; that bug in jzintv has since been fixed.

There are three intellivision rom file formats out there:  standard binary, intellicart, and cuttlecart3.  Jzintv comes with utilities to convert between them; rom2bin and bin2rom.  Bin2rom defaults to intellicart format but has a switch for cc3.  No guarantee superchef will work in libretro as it looks like ms pacman doesn't work.