IGNORED

Intellivision AV mod. Is composite still the only real option?

valthonis

AA user pimpmaul69 AV-modded (composite) my original model Intellivision, and I was quite pleased with the results. I posted screenshots in some old thread here that I can't find. Like most classic consoles, I think it works better on an old CRT TV, which I keep many of.

AA user pimpmaul69 AV-modded (composite) my original model Intellivision, and I was quite pleased with the results. I posted screenshots in some old thread here that I can't find. Like most classic consoles, I think it works better on an old CRT TV, which I keep many of.

glad you are happy. I do agree that older systems look better on crt even though i do not own a crt
  • Like 1

Here's a mod you can order on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intellivision-A-V-Composite-Video-Mod-Kit-NTSC-PAL-DIY-/181043125890

It's fairly easy to install and works really well. I modded a Sears Super Video Arcade two weekends ago because the RF port was really flaky and stopped processing sound. After the mod, it works like a brand new machine!

It ships from Turkey, so be patient.

The composite mod I bread-boarded is just ok good, not great.

I made the Zener diode circuit from boom box and 80s wireless phone scrap.

I noted it does help to put a Mylar capacitor (rectangle green type) between composite out and ground.

It is strange how hard it is to pull out a nice composite picture. The circuit is similar to all the other ones for different systems.

I'll just keep the original wood grain system RF because it looks fantastic, and composite A/V mod my Intellivision II for convenience for LCD and travel.

Perhaps I'm picky in my old age, but I just can't stand RF interference on the older consoles. It seems to me that vintage RF modulators worked better before they were now 30 years old? Perhaps my young eyes were less discriminating, back then? We know that the tuners in modern (and not necessarily modern, but newer/2000-era CRTs) TVs definitely tune in better than the old TVs I played Intellivision. Ataris, Intellivisions, Colecovisions (etc.) on RF just have so much interference (whether random speckles or diagonal wavy lines), no sharpness, etc. to me now that it's objectionable, and it can't be the newer TVs.

One thing for sure, the old RF swichboxes (TV / Game) must have all gone to the dogs, over time, because I've never seen one since the 1980s that wasn't utter crap. I even bought some new-old-stock Atari 8-bit computers a few years back, and they had NOS RF switchboxes still wrapped and boxed. I was eager to see whether or not they'd outperform the dirty, banged-up vintage switchboxes you get when you buy a typical piece of vintage hardware. Much to my surprise, there was no improvement over the well-used-looking switchboxes. Figuring it was some mild tarnishing or corrosion on the sliding part, I took it apart and shined every contact surface - and no improvement. I'm talking about unplayable. Those RCA-to-threaded-coax "switchbox eliminator" fittings are a Godsend if you're forced to play with RF, but still don't look as good as, say, Super Nintendo RF output. Why? If vintage consoles put out Super Nintendo-quality RF, it wouldn't be a problem.

I found the old post, where I posted the screenshots. As I mentioned, I thought a CRT looked better, but it's really hard to photo a CRT with a digicam.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/203551-composite-video-mod-quality/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2871199

I tested many different variations of the A/V mod and I am not happy with any of them.

That's how I feel as well, I did AV mods on both an INTV II and a Sears Super Video Arcade and was completely unsatisfied with both. The SVA had slightly incorrect colors and the INTV II had a lot of ghosting. I wouldn't be interested in picking up an INTV again unless there was a better AV mod or even RGB mod available.

That's how I feel as well, I did AV mods on both an INTV II and a Sears Super Video Arcade and was completely unsatisfied with both. The SVA had slightly incorrect colors and the INTV II had a lot of ghosting. I wouldn't be interested in picking up an INTV again unless there was a better AV mod or even RGB mod available.

I had heard so many complaints about the INTV AV mod and ghosting that I was worried. However, that's why I included the link (2 posts above) to the post with my actual screenshots, playing D2K (or whatever it's called) on my INTV, photographed on JVC 13" CRT monitor. I wonder why I have no ghosting? Perhaps there's a variance in the INTVs or mods? Did I just get lucky?

Wood, I'm with you. My Intellivision's have horrible RF output, even on an LCD which softens a lot of that away. Yurkie and ApolloBoy have both done good mods for me before, stinks that there's nothing quality for them to work with. Pimpmaul isn't doing them anymore either, so I don't know who to ask? Your system is certainly much clearer, as for misaligned colors with this mod, frankly I probably would never even notice.

Others with the technical know-how will probably have a quick explanation, but to me the games with black backgrounds, as in the post above, seem to show less color bleed than many others. Games like baseball, with red objects on solid green backgrounds, seem to suffer the most with RF output. Is that a function of the RF unit or the TV? Composite output looks somewhat better but still isn't great.

I'll just keep the original wood grain system RF because it looks fantastic, and composite A/V mod my Intellivision II for convenience for LCD and travel.

This is my take, too. Granted, I am not not really picky, but of all the classic systems I have that display through RF, the original Inty looks by far the best, at least on a CRT. They also have a well shielded original cable; I used an extra Inty RCA cable to output from my 7800 and it almost felt like an AV mod as the improvement was very noticeable.

I had heard so many complaints about the INTV AV mod and ghosting that I was worried. However, that's why I included the link (2 posts above) to the post with my actual screenshots, playing D2K (or whatever it's called) on my INTV, photographed on JVC 13" CRT monitor. I wonder why I have no ghosting? Perhaps there's a variance in the INTVs or mods? Did I just get lucky?

yes you did get lucky. As i have stated to people that the ghosting is a board variant problem. The motherboard you have did not have this issue. Just an fyi for anyone who wants to know, i have found 3 or 4 different motherboards in the intellivision 1 not including systems like intv iii and super pro system Edited by pimpmaul69

I've got great picture with the original coax, the key is to get the thick cable-company type coax cable, and use the adapter at the intellivision (rca male to coax female) instead of the old, skinny original cable and the rca female to coax male.

I've even got mine hooked up via a splitter with my old Pong console and it looks great to me.

See the quality I get (recorded with my DVD recorder):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GR12pQP8E0

Edited by zander21510
  • Like 1

I've got great picture with the original coax, the key is to get the thick cable-company type coax cable, and use the adapter at the intellivision (rca male to coax female) instead of the old, skinny original cable and the rca female to coax male.

I've even got mine hooked up via a splitter with my old Pong console and it looks great to me.

See the quality I get (recorded with my DVD recorder):

ive been preaching this for years. Glad someone else did it. This was the answer to another persons 45 degree "line interferance"

Edit: i too use a splitter. So i can play my "pong" style systems

Edited by pimpmaul69

See the quality I get (recorded with my DVD recorder):

ive been preaching this for years. Glad someone else did it. This was the answer to another persons 45 degree "line interferance"