Sign in to follow this  
Rhomaios

New Lynx User

Ransom hooked me up!

7Q9whOS.jpg

I only have four games now, Crystal Mines II in addition to the four above. So, besides an adapter, what should I grab for this? What is superior on the Lynx compared to other ports (like STUN Runner) or must have exclusives (like Crystal Mines II) or just great fun to have on the system (like Joust)?

I'm reading through some of the threads, but a fresh perspective would be nice.

• Like 1

It depends what you want.

My favorite classic arcade game from the early 80s has a fantastic Lynx port:Robotron 2084. Should be dirt cheap also.

For late 80s style arcade fun my vote goes to Blue Lightning It is basically Afterburner on the Lynx, and worth it for being a technical showcase alone, let alone that flying a fighter jet is cool.^^

Personally I like action platformers, so I really enjoy Rygar, Switchblade II and Ninja Gaiden III. Neither is flawless though.

I second the Calif. Games, a pack in that I still return to. I like MS.Pac-Man, Qix, Awesome Golf (great scaling and play), Scrapyard Dog is better on Lynx than the 7800. I like Paperboy. For Sports, I like NFL Football (I know some hate it).

Blue Lightning if you like 5-10 minute games. The missions are short and there is a lot of action packed into them. Just remember to turn on your afterburners in the canyon run ;)

Blue Lightning is a bit short. I believe there is just 9 missions. But the cart is definitely a "must have". Nice to play imho.

http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=289

Nice thing about Blue Lightning, and the reason you can play for just a couple of minutes is the password system. So you don't have to replay mission 1 again and again.

I had one friend back in the day who had the Lynx. We all thought he was nuts, because the batteries lasted 20 minutes. Was really happy to get one a few years ago, really has fantastic games.

I had one friend back in the day who had the Lynx. We all thought he was nuts, because the batteries lasted 20 minutes. Was really happy to get one a few years ago, really has fantastic games.

20 minutes!! They last me like 5-6 hours. Noticeably longer than Game Gear...

Super Asteroids Missile Command

Dirty Larry Renegade Cop

Zaku

Xybots

Awesome Golf

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter

Rampage

Hydra

Paperboy

Ms. Pac Man

Raiden

California Games

Double Dragon

Toke

• Like 1

I was exaggerating of course, but in truth, back in 1989 new AA batteries were like gold for us kids. Couldn't get many of them from your parents. So having the Lynx meant you probably couldn't play it on the road very much.

Yes, one of the things that Best sells is the big one that clips onto your belt.

pag3325%20battery%20pack.jpg

Sure, but I mean: That one's not so great because it still needs batteries. The GB and GG had ones that were rechargeable without batteries. So is the Naki one I posted above. You clip it to the back of the Lynx and play without batteries at all.

Sure, but I mean: That one's not so great because it still needs batteries. The GB and GG had ones that were rechargeable without batteries. So is the Naki one I posted above. You clip it to the back of the Lynx and play without batteries at all.

Oh, duh, you're right! I just use it with the wall wart.

I play my Lynx via AC adaptor most of the time myself, but I do find it nice to have a way to go out with it now. People will look at me like some alien, having my Lynx with sun visor and Naki power adaptor attached, but the Lynx finally is portable.^^