IGNORED

TURBO CARD for XE ATARI

lotharek

Pasiu (my friend) has just finished working oh NEW TURBO CARD for ATARI 8bit..it took him over 10 years of live and finally we have chance to have it home..

Due to fast internal clock reaching 160MHz fast FPGA and CPLD were used. All is much more complicated than it looks :-)

anyway, i`m just about to introduce first batch of 200 units and to be honest i need Your moral support :

PLEASE - declare - WHO IS INTERESTED ?

so far i can tell : XE comps only ( we will work for XL adapter), price approx 139E.

All movies by PASIU : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBISatWqmNxV2rjTsvkcF7Q

post-7336-0-49558300-1413920336_thumb.png

• Like 2

Hi Lotharek-

Yes, I'm interested in 1 or 2, but I'd like to know more about what it supports and works with. I'd think that most any prospective purchaser would like to know more about features and compatibility.

Such as:

NTSC-friendly?

Speed(s)? (e.g. 1.79, 7.16, 14.32, xxx) Software selectable?

How much standard fast ram?

Is there Rambo (etc.) on-board or will it work with typical internal or PBI ram upgrades (Freezer ram)?

Supports IDE+2

Supports VBXE?

Supports Ultimate 1 MB?

Flashable or programmable to battery-backed Sram if changes are made? (or requires new CPLD?)

"Friendly" with dos other than SDX?

Works with MyIDE-II cart?

Works with different OS?

Works with typical productivity carts (Basic XL, Action!, etc.)

Some of these things may not have been tested, yet. That's ok -- just answer what you guys can.

Thanks,

Larry

Ok., below I've tried to clarify some points. If you didn't find the answer on your question, please ask.

NTSC-friendly?

Rapidus adapts to the Atari bus frequency, so it does not matter if you have PAL, NTSC or even SECAM computer.

Speed(s)? (e.g. 1.79, 7.16, 14.32, xxx) Software selectable?

Fast mode at 20MHz and special access modes to first 64kB of memory. You cannot select clock speed, but you can set your access mode.

Additionally you will keep still your standard 6502, so you can use it in case of any compatibility issues with old software. Currently you must switch off Rapidus when you boot you computer to use 6502, but maybe in a future both microprocessors will be able to operate in parallel (hardware supports that, but control software does not exist).

How much standard fast ram?

512kB of SRAM and 32MB of SDRAM (30.5MB used).

Is there Rambo (etc.) on-board or will it work with typical internal or PBI ram upgrades (Freezer ram)?

PortB memory expansiom is supported and recommended. Every kind of ram upgrade hardware should work, but it is physically not feasible to test it in advance.

Axlon upgrade is not supported, but may be added in the future (I don't own this kind of upgrade).

Supports IDE+2

Yes.

Supports VBXE?

Yes, but currently you should inform Rapidus manually that you have VBXE. Later there will be an autodetection (I hope).

Supports Ultimate 1 MB?

Yes, I use it in my test computer. Like for VBXE you should inform Rapidus manually that you have it installed.

Flashable or programmable to battery-backed Sram if changes are made? (or requires new CPLD?)

New FPGA core can be easily reprogrammed from disk since it is located in a flash memory. To change CPLD you need JTAG compatible programmer, but now I do not see a need to do it. All critical functions are in FPGA.

"Friendly" with dos other than SDX?

Yes. I used to work also with DOS II+/D, but SDX gives you more advanced control.

Works with MyIDE-II cart?

Never checked. SIDE2 works in its two modes.

Works with different OS?

Rapidus requires OS with New Device support, becuase this is a primary method to load FPGA core from flash memory. Second method is loading core from the disk, but considering core size (unpacked takes more than 300kB) it's a quite long process.

You can also flash some OS into Rapidus and work at full speed.

Works with typical productivity carts (Basic XL, Action!, etc.)

Never checked, because I don't have them. SDX is in fact cartrige, so other carts should work as well. Probably I'll be able to test Atarimax Maxflash soon.

Does this work with the "Adaptus board"... and what does the "Adaptus board" look like?

Adaptus board is a Atari bus buffer device. It should not be required now, but if you have many many strange upgrades in you machine, than it may be needed. Adaptus is still in development.

Does it accidentally work in an 1200XL too?

Well...yes, but newer OS with New Device support is recommended in this case. You should also provide Extsel and MPD signals to Rapidus which are normally not available in 1200XL. If you don't want to upgrade your 1200XL, than you will have to load fpga core each time from a disk (it is time consuming).

• Like 5