IGNORED

First Zelda Game

flashbackmatt

Going to be a different answer for every person that responds, but my favorites are Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. And Link to the Past just edges Ocarina for me as my favorite, thanks I suppose to having played it first and because Ocarina in many respects seems like a 3D remake of Link to the Past.

I'd download Link to the Past on the Wii U Virtual Console first, if I were you.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Well, Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are my top picks. I can't stand the 3D entries, and these two were the pinnacle for me. Minish Cap is alright, too, but not as good as the earlier Nintendo-programmed ones.

The colorized version "Link's Awakening DX" is pretty snazzy.

• Like 2

The first Zelda is pure game play without cutscenes or story-driven dialogue. You'll be introduced to the core mechanics that are present in the series and you're free to wander within your abilities to do so. You'll hone strategies for defeating enemies that are useful in the later games.

Later Zelda games, especially the 3D ones, will make you sit through long dialogue sessions at the beginning, constrain your initial ability to wander anywhere, and hold your hand for much of the quest (which will be quite linear). I thoroughly enjoyed pretty much all of the Zelda games but the earlier 2D ones will cut to the chase a lot quicker and let you experience the game without being bogged down by a ton of exposition.

I would start with Zelda and follow up with Link to the Past and/or Link's Awakening.

• Like 2

Zelda II isn't a bad game. It's just a very different Zelda game. It strayed pretty far from the formula. Funnily enough, a few NES sequels did that: Super Mario Bros 2 and Castlevania 2 also had very different game play mechanics.

On a side note, whenever people call Zelda an RPG they are technically correct if they are specifically talking about the second one.