IGNORED

The reason to hate certain ebay resellers

Atari_Bill

As I mentioned above, so many people use the LISTING price for items as the starting price for selling their own items that yes, it does hurt others when this occurs. Listing prices begin to translate into listing prices for multiple others which in turn drives prices up over time. It doesn't matter if it sells or not it is damaging to the hobby as a whole.

I always look at the sold prices on Ebay and go from there. You have to keep in mind that this is only a hobby, so you don't have to buy something if you feel it's overpriced. I'm not defending the resellers but we are not talking about life or death here either.

I always look at the sold prices on Ebay and go from there. You have to keep in mind that this is only a hobby, so you don't have to buy something if you feel it's overpriced. I'm not defending the resellers but we are not talking about life or death here either.

You're right, this is a hobby. But the actions of the resellers that do this take away the 'hobby' feeling of it and turn it into a business and that affects everyone to some degree. No I don't have to buy something if I feel it's overpriced. Unfortunately my collections are at a point now that the only stuff I need is the premium tier stuff that they resell so for me to continue this as a hobby, I'll have to buy it eventually.

I should have thrown a $200 bid at that box. Even if I would have been outbid, I'd have been okay knowing it went for something closer to its value. I have the cart and manual. Had I know years ago how much of a sleeper rarity the Guardian box was going to be, I'd have been a little more aggressive in trying to acquire it. Oh well, live and learn.

As for the reselling, well, profiteering is part of the game it seems, and over many years of collecting I've seen egregious and not-so-egregious examples. This would fall more into the latter category methinks because a) it wasn't a cheap box and b) a CIB version is worth a bit (not sure about $500, maybe $400 is more in line with market value). I've done my fair share of buying and selling to finance my collection, but I'm much more willing to just sell things for whatever the next person wants to pay and have some offset for my own purchases than buy and sell on the more speculative end of things.

I think it would speak highly for Mr. OriginalPSP to gift the widow a little bit of his windfall. In all of this business, that's what I'd like to see when it comes to an ethics question and eBay.

• Like 2

Just because it's their legal right doesn't mean we should accept them for whatever actions they do.

It is what it is..

You're right, this is a hobby. But the actions of the resellers that do this take away the 'hobby' feeling of it and turn it into a business and that affects everyone to some degree. No I don't have to buy something if I feel it's overpriced. Unfortunately my collections are at a point now that the only stuff I need is the premium tier stuff that they resell so for me to continue this as a hobby, I'll have to buy it eventually.

Always keep in mind that the market bears what one is willing to pay. Whether it is a hobby or not makes no difference.

How can that boxed TI be graded an 8 when all the corners look bad ?

This grading stuff is a matter of opinion. There are no set rules.

Because that guy has paid their Porsche, the mansion and everything else with his grading fees.

That's right. Don't be a dormat and spend your hard-earned money to make someone else richer.

I've been watching a certain Apple II item all summer long via browser bookmarks. The price remained steady. The other day I put it on my fleabag watch list and BOOOM! The item got relisted and the price doubled and then some. What is the seller thinking? ..That the one person who showed interest is going to buy it for fear of it going even higher? I don't think so. I'm not falling for artificially generated scarcity. Let some other flunky buy it.

Another Apple II item I am actually interested in has been languishing (at a reasonable price) for the past 3 months. Apparently no watchers and little interest. So I ask the seller if they wanted to change the auction to a buy-it-now type deal, same as the starting bid, and all of a sudden they said they just posted it up and want to see if any bidders come by. If they don't then he said we'd talk terms. Well fuck that, nobody is buying your shit in the first place. I'm the only one to willing to make a deal and you refuse? Hehh hehh, I can guarantee it will still be there at Christmas time.

And then we have a couple of overpriced items sitting at $200.00. These ones I'm watching because I have several myself, and I'm wanting to see if they move at that price. Note that I have no buying interest whatsoever, it's more a sport and way of gauging the worth of my collection. Well, they have been listed for over 2 years!! So I write the seller and he/she blatantly said that some fool will eventually buy them. I told the seller that these only move for like 25-50 bucks, and he/she went on a rampage on how I'm trying to get a lower price. Coming up, now, on 3 years and no sale. Bwaaahahahahaha!

Also, another thing, estate sales are on the rise big time. You can easily spot an estate sale by the dispassionate description and how the seller distances themselves from the nuances or details of the item. These estate sellers are mostly fat women whose relatives passed away or whom have a brick and mortar antique shop. These sellers are most inclined to say the item hasn't been tested either. Be dammed if I buy from them, because they always say, "Well..that's what other people are asking. It's a fair price because you won't find it cheaper." Yadda-yaadddaahh fuck that.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

one thing complainers may be overlooking...

***collecting***

drives up prices

:o WHOAH what a concept ! ;)

... so then, does the hobby damage the hobby?? where's the guy that gets on here & says:

"one thing I hate is these damn collectors, holding onto games & driving up the prices for all of us other collectors! Just because it's legal doesn't make it right! They're damaging the hobby!"

HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

far as I can see, the only reason for hating an ebay reseller is the combination of (A) wanting to hate somebody, and (B) spending a lot of time on ebay. It may be time to get back into enjoying video games... or, at least enjoying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What bugs me is when someone buys a limited-qty homebrew - or device - from one of the creative and charitable people on a forum like this - and *then* tries to profiteer on Ebay. But outbidding everybody else on Ebay and then trying to profit on Ebay doesn't seem objectionable to me, because the "entrepreneur" isn't preying upon the kindness of creative-folk to bring the community unique products at affordable (as possible) prices - they're merely gambling.

Exactly. Profiteering off of a labor of love is really low. In cases where I've missed the boat on homebrews (which happens a lot) I'd be inclined to get a repro made right here. I don't collect boxes anyhow.

I had an AA guy sell me a system and a shit ton of games ridiculously cheap. It was practically a gift. I won't say his name, but I'll tell you that he plays one Shat-tastic game of bingo! :D Anyway I was in a jam and needed some fast cash for some eBay stuff that I had committed to like a true compulsive degenerate. I put the stuff up on a BIN for what I had originally gotten it for. I could have done way better, but it would have been wrong. So I got to pay for the games I wanted and paid the sweet deal forward in the process.

Edit: I have noticed that one thing that I have gotten frequently gouged for over the years has plummeted recently, and that's GBA games. I think GBA is in that sweet spot where it's now totally obsolete but not yet classic.

Edited by toptenmaterial

I have a low attention span for reading lol. I read the 1st few post and heres my take. Many many times I have seen on ebay a box selling for say $50 a game selling for say $50 a manual selling for say $20. Pop all 3 together and boom $200. It is weird but people will pay more to have it all together. I have seriously contemplated buying pieces of rarer games and plopping them together myself.

If someone is willing to pay significantly more for a complete item than parts so be it. Maybe the parts come from a new seller and that can make collectors afraid. If a re-seller or someone extremely knowledgeable in a field can buy items and list them for more because buyers trust them or for whatever reason then so be it.

In the end supply and demand will determine value. If a game sells for $50 cart only and a manual sells for $20 cart only and a complete sells for $200 something is telling me maybe you should value the box a little more than $50. Thats just my opinion. So if this complete sells for $500 maybe the box should have been valued a bit more than $160 just saying.

I have a low attention span for reading lol. I read the 1st few post and heres my take. Many many times I have seen on ebay a box selling for say $50 a game selling for say $50 a manual selling for say $20. Pop all 3 together and boom $200. It is weird but people will pay more to have it all together. I have seriously contemplated buying pieces of rarer games and plopping them together myself.

If someone is willing to pay significantly more for a complete item than parts so be it. Maybe the parts come from a new seller and that can make collectors afraid. If a re-seller or someone extremely knowledgeable in a field can buy items and list them for more because buyers trust them or for whatever reason then so be it.

In the end supply and demand will determine value. If a game sells for $50 cart only and a manual sells for $20 cart only and a complete sells for $200 something is telling me maybe you should value the box a little more than $50. Thats just my opinion. So if this complete sells for $500 maybe the box should have been valued a bit more than $160 just saying.

Sometimes the parts are worth more than the whole while other times it's the whole that is worth more than the parts. Kinda varies from game to game from what I've seen over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! So now if you legally win an auction for a box at a decent price...add your own cartridge and manual and put it up for a reasonable price ($500 for a CIB Guardian really isn't that out of line, the last one I remember sold for $450 and its' box wasn't that great) you are breaking the rules somehow?

Man, you guys complaining don't want to know how much profit I made from the Atari stuff I picked up at a yard sale this summer ;)

What if you are in the camp of the people that believe that CIB 2600 games, are like the stock market? I know there are several. Homer went home, but that's another story.

I miss that guy...whatever happened to him, was there a be all end all topic? Link?

• Like 2

Ha! So now if you legally win an auction for a box at a decent price...add your own cartridge and manual and put it up for a reasonable price ($500 for a CIB Guardian really isn't that out of line, the last one I remember sold for $450 and its' box wasn't that great) you are breaking the rules somehow?

Man, you guys complaining don't want to know how much profit I made from the Atari stuff I picked up at a yard sale this summer ;)

I miss that guy...whatever happened to him, was there a be all end all topic? Link?

In this case, I never claimed any rules were being broken. Everything was perfectly legit with the purchase. My beef was the profiteering bring done. Yes I know it happens all the time as I've said before, it's just that a few individuals really seem to rub it in your face (this one included). It's also true That I have a preexisting beef with this person that likely clouds my judgement after they were very dishonest in a sale to me so that will obviously play a factor in my opinion as well. It comes down to the fact that some see nothing wrong with this and others see this as ruining the future of a fun pastime. They're not going to change my mind anymore than I'll likely change theirs.

Edited by Atari_Bill
  • Like 1

I will second what bill says and state this.

Of course there are tons of resellers, people make money off of things all the time, it can be fun when you find a great deal in the wild and maybe flip something from a lot for a nice profit....I don't think half the people here really understand that just reselling something is not really what this is all about.

schoolgirl and a handful of others like shim go out of their way to be repulsive resellers....they are not just finding the occasional good deal and make a fair profit. They are not selling off their extras for profit, they don't really seem to have any interest in the hobby other than $

They constantly try to find good deals and acquire them by any means necessary only to relist them not at fair prices, not at high prices but usually at silly ridiculous prices. And they rarely sell them for these prices.

In turn they confuse the rest of the selling base as to what real numbers are for what you can get for a nice/rare item...and you see prices go nuts on all those items.

This does not help prices on items as some think...it hurts them...I have seen it time and time again. Buyers who actually want to collect these items get frustrated and give up on getting them.

More resllers try and acquire them for silly prices and end up sitting on them...by the time things get balanced out after awhile the price on these items usually goes down from what it started at.

This happened famously when robotkingnes almost single handedly set about trying to destroy the odyssey collecting scene...which he did a good job at...now he sits on tons of units he cants sell and odyssey items are worth less than they used to be and many people have seemed to lose interest in collecting for it.

Aside from this wonderful process that these reseller gems do....and maybe some of you don't care about that...fair enough....

schoolgirl in particular as bill said is very underhanded, putting together cib games using parts from various consoles, removing stickers from boxes so the parts "match" up right etc

and like bill I have dealt with her/him and they also are very dishonest in the transaction process and will try and rip you off there as well...buyer/seller beware when dealing with her/him!

heck schoolgirl cant even give a straight answer as to her gender identity....saying she is anna online...but then is a man when dealt with in person....deceptive on every level I tell you :P

@anna.....you know there are other collectibles out there....how about go and terrorize the Hummel market...or Beany babies...Happy meal toys...collector spoons....creepy dollies? Just sayin'!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Damn I'm working the hard way. I need to change my profession.

Naw. I know there's a lot of stupid people out there but very few stupid enough to pay asking price on their auctions. I'll never believe that they actually sell much of anything close to what they ask.

Edited by Atari_Bill

People can ask whatever they'd like for anything they're willing to sell. But 'flipping' a product for 5x-10x the price implies that someone is actually buying it. People seem to assume that seeing a listing for that amount means they are selling it for that amount. That's often not the case. And if the market is not willing to bare that price then the price will come back down to a market price or else the seller is going to have to tie his/her capital up waiting for a buyer.

Wow, if I find a good deal and want to flip it for a profit, good for me and good for you if you want to do the same. I don't have the time or motivation to do so, but I'm not going to begrudge someone for doing so. If you have an issue with it, then win the original auction. If the person is able to flip a game for 5x-10x, then that's what the market price for the item was in the first place.

1 person makes a market.

• Like 3