IGNORED

CLASSIC CONSOLE MAGAZINE: A new FREE Retro Publication

Hello!

Long time lurker of the forums here at AtariAge, this is my first post ever!

I wanted to let you know of a project I am involved in, a New Retro Gaming Magazine called "Classic Console Magazine".

As someone who has lurked on the site for a while, I know of all of the people who claim they are working on a retro gaming magazine, only for it never to see the light of day. I also know that there is an awesome magazine called Retro that many on here subscribe to.

Understanding that, we are attempting to approach things from a different avenue. We are doing this as we are fans of retro gaming, and are offering it for FREE and via digital only. The old model of magazine subscriptions is dying, and if we did it the traditional way and offered print copies from the start, we wouldn't last anymore than a couple of months.. we are also a monthly publication, as we felt having monthly issues instead of bi-monthly will help us grow a larger base of subscribers quicker by offering more good content.

I also decided to wait until the first issue was out to post here just so everyone knows we are really serious! We are in this for the long haul.

If you would like to subscribe, simply visit our website: classicconsolemag.weebly.com

I am always looking for article submissions, so if you have any ideas for an article you might want published send me an email: classicconsolemag@gmail.com

We already have a small team of dedicated writers in place, but the more the merrier! Unfortunately at this point we can not provide any compensation for articles submitted, we are all doing it as a labor of love.. maybe someday that will change.

I have added a few pics so you guys can know what we are all about.

Thanks for your time!

-Josh

post-40596-0-67890600-1414035275_thumb.jpg

post-40596-0-74649000-1414035283_thumb.jpg

post-40596-0-58893200-1414035292_thumb.jpg

post-40596-0-10730500-1414035298_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Will definitely check it out. Thanks! Just curious, what's the focus of the magazine? Any and all? What's the mean year of the games mentioned? It's free, so I'm not complaining, but I am curious, and I know there is great demand for something on the tad older side. At least that's the feeling I get from some people reading Retro.

Thanks for the reply!

Basically we are covering any and all, but one thing I will say is that we don't cover any consoles after 1999.

The only time we cover new stuff is reboots of classic franchises and retro-inspired games, as well as homebrew titles.

Although the main emphasis and the title of our magazine refers to home consoles, I would say that a fair amount of what we are covering so far is 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen home consoles as well as some arcade stuff and classic PC games. I think you will find there will be a much greater emphasis on 2600, intellivision and colecovision stuff in our publication vs. many of the others out there right now.

Just wanted to give a quick update on how things are going! We have had overwhelming response to the first issue, in fact we have subscribers from 16 different countries and counting. I will make sure to post some teasers on here when we start revealing more details about issue 2 which comes out next month. Thanks everyone who has subscribed or messaged me on here about the magazine. We truly appreciate it!

Edited by classicconsolemag

Hey :) Just had time to study the first issue and i liked it.

Especially everything bout my first love, the ATARI 2600 and also everything bout ATARI itself got my special attention.

I was also enjoying all stuff bout the Dreamcast, also this Console still doesnt give me retro feelings, maybe its not too long ago

and also im still into my US/EU/JP collection. You should have an article bout that funny japanese subway simulator, cant remember the title atm,

but i can go to shelter 7 and have a look, if you like. I saw, of course, the fishing game, but hey, no pic from the fishing pole hardware; the best

thing that ever came out on the dreamcast, in my opinion :)

Go on with the great work, everything is written in a good and nice style, fun to read.

Only one picture was strange and should have been edited and also some formatting of text was out of order, but overall Im looking forward to

all the upcoming issues!

Ask your readers to vote their favorite system maybe? I know, its hard to make everyone happy and its not easy to have all possible famous and

also rare and not so overlooked systems presented.

Of course, when you ask me, make it ATARI only :) (yep, dont take this suggestion too serious)

Best wishes to the whole team, go on with that great work!

Edited by uNi73

Just subbed. But the survey asks where I heard about you, none of the 4 provided responses were accurate. I discovered you here.

I also suggested you do minimal NES coverage. Classic gamers really, REALLY dont need to hear about it anymore.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a great weekend. Just wanted to let people know that issue 2 is out and should be in your inbox if you have subscribed. For those who have not subscribed do so today and you can still get issue 2 in your inbox.

For those who want to check out the magazine before deciding to subscribe or not, here is a link to issue 1 live on our website. http://classicconsolemag.weebly.com/blog/issue-1-october-2014

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I subscribed!

Very impressed with the magazine, especially the professional layout and classic advertisements. It doesn't feel like I'm reading a freezine, it's a very enjoyable read.

Edited by TPA5
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magazine had suffered a few technical issues, but should be out by time you read this.

I've submitted my 1st 2 interviews to Josh, you can find the very 1st of these, Mr Jim Blackler (Domark etc) think Proince Of Persia MD, Bloodshot MD and MCD, Theme Park MCD and Crime wave Saturn etc, which i hope you'll all enjoy.
Look out for more exclusive interviews from myself appearing in the magazine over the next few months, all being well.

High Voltage, I assume you must have your issue by now. If anyone else has any issues with downloads let me know. We had a problem with the service we were previously using for the hosting of the magazine for download. We have sorted that all out now and are back on our monthly schedule of releases. Today we just got a subscriber from the Dominican Republic which means we are up to 17 countries and in the triple digits for subscriptions. At this rate we will be over 1,000 soon!

The interview with Jim Blackler is fantastic, def. worth a read for everyone interested with coding for the SEGA consoles.

If anyone needs anything, PM me on here or email: classicconsolemag@gmail.com

-Josh

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst i hope folks 'liked' my Jim Blackler interview (and sorry if they did'nt, i can only be myself in these :-) ).Just to say Josh has another 2 exclusives of mine (not appearing anywhere else but his magazine) stored safely away, with many more planned.

I'm attempting to cover as many formats as possible with these exclusives, it being console based works great as the A8/ST etc ones i can give to others who are after my interviews and don't worry guys, plenty for you as well, all being well.