IGNORED

New Nintendo DS homebrew - Geoincursion!

smccd

Hello everyone!

I have just finished another homebrew game, this time on Nintendo DS! It's called Geoincursion, and it's an old-school arcade style beat'em up with a secondary resource system (energy), and features original music, sounds, and digitized actor graphics!

Check it out at: http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t=102&n=Nintendo-DS-development-Geoincursion

geoincursion_4.png

If you're interested, you can also check out my Classic Console Development page, which has links to my projects on other consoles. It can be found at: http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd/

• Like 3

That's awesome!

How does one go about making games for the DS (or the other Nintendo consoles, both handheld and not, that you've worked on)? What tool(s) did you use?

EDIT: I see that you actually posted links to your tools for all your games. Thanks so much! As a homebrew developer who would also like to expand to more systems but not be forced to learn/write Assembly, I really, really appreciate you posting samples and full tools to make most of these things in C and other, more accessible languages, with full instructions for how to get the tool chain running!

Out of curiosity, which were the easiest platforms to develop for (both in ease of tool use and ease of working within the limitations of the system)?

Edited by Cybearg

That's awesome!

How does one go about making games for the DS (or the other Nintendo consoles, both handheld and not, that you've worked on)? What tool(s) did you use?

EDIT: I see that you actually posted links to your tools for all your games. Thanks so much! As a homebrew developer who would also like to expand to more systems but not be forced to learn/write Assembly, I really, really appreciate you posting samples and full tools to make most of these things in C and other, more accessible languages, with full instructions for how to get the tool chain running!

Out of curiosity, which were the easiest platforms to develop for (both in ease of tool use and ease of working within the limitations of the system)?

Well, I list the tools I used on (almost) every project page on my website. In particular, to develop Geoincursion I used devkitPro. It's easy to install and will work out of the box (you can compile the examples immediately).

I'm glad you found some use out of my work. I've always thought that if it were easier to start, a lot more developers would give homebrew on classic consoles a shot.

In terms of which were easiest (in my opinion):

• Nintendo DS (using devkitPro, C/C++) if you want to create a game that's complete with music, sound, and graphics which are easy to import and load
  • Atari 2600 (using batari basic, Basic) if you want to prototype quickly and not spend too long ramping up your game (see my Snappy project here: http://sebastianmihai.com/main.php?t=47&n=Atari-2600-development-Snappy-batari-basic)
  • Turbografx-16 (using HuC) if you want easy to load graphics, but not be confined by the Basic programming language like above

I'm sure others may have varying opinions :)

Edited by smccd
  • Like 1