IGNORED

What activities haven't been simulated on the Atari 2600?

Random Terrain

The Atari 2600 has everything from bowling to hot-air balloons, but there have to be some human activities that haven't been simulated yet. Can you think of any?

Update:

I'm talking about things that would make fun games. If companies like Atari, Imagic, and Activision were still looking for Atari 2600 game ideas (the promise), what would they come up with?

A game like Super Bag Boy sounds cool... Reminds me of something unique like Lost Luggage.

Thinking along the lines of something I've never seen, a Burgertime variant BITD could have been Flapjack or Pancake Flipper. With fruit, ham, sausage, whipped cream and chocolate chips as baddies.

Or how about a gas pumping game... see how many cars you can get back on the road before they crash into each other at the station. Could have been a Tapper clone of sorts.

• Like 2

A game like Super Bag Boy sounds cool... Reminds me of something unique like Lost Luggage.

Thinking along the lines of something I've never seen, a Burgertime variant BITD could have been Pancake or Pancake Flipper. With fruit, ham, sausage, whipped cream and chocolate chips as baddies.

Or how about a gas pumping game... see how many cars you can get back on the road before they crash into each other at the station. Could have been a Tapper clone of sorts.

Someone should hack the 7800 Beef Drop to Pancake Stacker or Flackjack! Instead of fries as a bonus you have syrup and instead of pepper it's powdered sugar :D

Things that would make fun games. If companies like Atari, Imagic, and Activision were still looking for Atari 2600 game ideas (the promise), what would they come up with?

If you program it right, you can make almost any human activity fun as a videogame, even the chores. Wasn't there a member here who made a homebrew about snow shoveling? Heck, you made a fun game about seaweed removal.

If you program it right, you can make almost any human activity fun as a videogame, even the chores.

Many human activities were already done in the 1980s on the Atari 2600, so I was hoping this thread would build a list of what hasn't been done.

Safely negotiating Black Friday sales? Not anything I participate in, but somebody might like it as a (US-centric?) holiday themed game.

A different holiday theme, "Punkin Chunkin". A variation on Human Cannonball, I suppose.

Trick or Treat? You have to collect treats of certain types. (Avoid rocks).

Inflating balloons? We have games about popping them.

Rock climbing and rappelling?

Watching movies? Okay, I just threw that in to say that, speaking of climbing, there are some elements of the movie The Princess Bride that could translate to a video game (Three Terrors of the Fire Swamp, sword fighting, climbing the Cliffs of Insanity, storming the castle, sailing the Dread Pirate Roberts' ship Revenge, etc.)

And speaking of Columbo . . . a detective themed game? I'm thinking along the lines of Adventure or Superman (games I don't like, btw), but with increased randomness. Or something something else like the game of Clue.

• Like 2

But the activity is not what makes the game enjoyable. You are limiting yourself by having the criteria of "what activity hasn't been done", since many games use the same one but are very different (i.e. eating in Pac-Man vs. Fast Food), and really limiting yourself by using only human activities...or so it seems, since nobody is listing other ones based on something more abstract. BTW the "promise" was just marketing doing what they do...nobody expected the 2600 to last longer than a couple of years.

• Like 2

Many human activities were already done in the 1980s on the Atari 2600, so I was hoping this thread would build a list of what hasn't been done.

I thought you were looking for new activities in terms of concepts for interesting new games. What I was getting at (and what Nukey expressed more clearly above) is that the activity shouldn't really matter if you build an interesting game concept around it. For example, car racing and plane flying are two totally different activities, yet Grand Prix and Barnstorming are very similar games. A simple hack could turn Skiing or Sky Jinks into a rollerblading game. I don't think rollerblading has been done on the Atari, but if it's just an obstacle course on rollerblades it would be kind of boring. On the other hand, compare Burgertime to Pressure Cooker. Both involve the exact same rather mundane human activity of building hamburgers, but they are two totally different and interesting games. If the concept is new, you could build a great game around lawn mowing, hair cutting, beer drinking, whatever. Maybe a new human activity that didn't exist in the 80's to really bring the 2600 library into the new millenium. How about fracking?