IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

Hello 1050 users,

The ABBUC hardware contest has concluded last saturday. And the Mega-Speedy ended at a 2nd place.

Not bad, considering the diminishing use of the 1050. There's quite a number of alternatives.

The Mega Speedy may be produced. This depends on the amount of people willing to buy it.

Discription can be found in this forum.

And of course, all information will be made available, just as it was with the Freezer project.

To start with, a working copy of the schematic diagram.

The Mega Speedy will be able to replace most disk drive upgrades that were ever made for the 1050.

Price will depend on the number of units that will be produced.

For sure it will be below $100.

More accuratelly, a preliminary calculation based on 50 units comes out below $65. (Excluding shipment of course)

The pictures show the device. One unit consist of a main PCB and a display/selection part.

Depending on the suppliers and the demand, first units will be available before the end of this year.

Please inform me of your interest.

And of course, questions are welcome as well.

BR/

Guus Assmann

post-14026-0-03889600-1414356367_thumb.jpg

MEGA Speedy 1050 WF rev 10-sept-2014_sch.pdf

post-14026-0-44897600-1414357643_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-46304400-1414357709_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello MrFish,

Yes, there's a discription and spec. Please look in this forum for it, the rest is not ready yet. There will be much more later on.

Hello ProWizard,

Industrial PCB. (Home made can be very professional as well.)

And no, not usable without display. The display is used to select the emulation mode at startup.

But you can have a longer cable and guide it out the back.

Or have the cable come out the front of the drive, between the bottom and the brown front.

@ All,

The unit can replace most upgrades.

To name some: Happy, US-Doubler, Archiver, Speedy, Turbo 1050 and some more.

Edited by guus.assmann

Hello MrFish,

Yes, there's a discription and spec. Please look in this forum for it, the rest is not ready yet. There will be much more later on.

Hi Guus,

Yes, I figured there was something over in the Hardware Contest thread, which I checked out. I just thought you might have some papers together on it. The description over there is good enough though.

Do you have any pictures of what it's supposed to look like with the little panel / switch board mounted on the 1050?

Thanks

Is it possible to use it without the display pcb?

The MegaSpeedy should be usable without the display, but then you loose the feature of being able to configure the drive mode - which kind of defeats the purpose of this upgrade :)

You could still configure the drive mode (Happy/Speedy/...) prior to assembling the 1050, it will then by default always power up in the configured mode.

Or you could hook up one or two switches to select between 2-4 modes which you once configured.

Maybe I'll add an option to the flasher so that you can switch between modes by software. You could then configure the MegaSpeedy to power up in Flasher or MegaSpeedy mode and later switch to Happy/Turbo/... via the flasher.

But all this wouldn't quite what we designed the upgrade for, so better install the display PCB with the reset button and the rotary encoder :)

so long,

Hias

• Like 3

The MegaSpeedy should be usable without the display, but then you loose the feature of being able to configure the drive mode - which kind of defeats the purpose of this upgrade :)

You could still configure the drive mode (Happy/Speedy/...) prior to assembling the 1050, it will then by default always power up in the configured mode.

Or you could hook up one or two switches to select between 2-4 modes which you once configured.

Maybe I'll add an option to the flasher so that you can switch between modes by software. You could then configure the MegaSpeedy to power up in Flasher or MegaSpeedy mode and later switch to Happy/Turbo/... via the flasher.

But all this wouldn't quite what we designed the upgrade for, so better install the display PCB with the reset button and the rotary encoder :)

so long,

Hias

Well,

the german Floppy 2000 showed a menu when you booted without a disk (some other floppy upgrades too). You could then choose which program you wanted to load. Maybe for those that do not want the LCD display you can create a similar menu for the MegaSpeedy, where one can choose the speeder (Happy, Turbo, Speedy, SuperSpeedy, etc.) he wants to use, so the LCD display is not nescessary anymore...?!?

I find the beeper much more annoying. What does it do, other than beep in high frequency (ouch, my ears, tinnitus alert!) when an error occurs or an unformatted disk was put into the drive ?!? In the past I had several Speedy drives with LCD (track) display and I always removed the beeper there. Okay, I sold all these upgrades (since I did never use the track display) and kept only the mini Speedy, but the buyers never complained that the beeper was missing...