IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

The board is also designed such that you can cut of the part holding the rotary-encoder. That way it can be placed somewhere also.

Hi Guus, do you mean that I can cut the part of PCB that holds the rotary switch? But I do see some traces coming out from the switch's base on the photos, did I misunderstand your comment?

attachicon.gifDSCN0013.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN0017.JPG

I did the tape thing that john.lawson did with the display... and for the broken pins noted in a previous post I cut a safety pin to length and stuck the pieces into the Mega Speedy to U9.. I had to break the pin strip and moved all over to leave the two empty pins on the outside #13 and #14 so the (baby) Safety pin pieces are now connected. All seem to be working normally.

I am still quite confused about the need to flash anything... My sio pass through doesn't like anything else except another drive. I can't get it to work with any kind of emulated Floppy .. like Aspeqt or my Ultimate with SDX ... drive doesn't respond..

Check the IDs assigend to the "emulated drives"! They might be in conflict.

Disable high speed SIO.

They should work! At least I could use SIO2SD with MegaSpeedy.

• Like 1

Update - I removed the machine pin socket I installed, and put the original back in. The drive seems to mostly work - I did have it go a bit funny one time after it sat still for 3 or 4 minutes. I am still suspect of bad connections to U9. I may just find a way to secure the board and use 2 ribbon cables to permanently mount this thing.

• Like 1

Update - I removed the machine pin socket I installed, and put the original back in. The drive seems to mostly work - I did have it go a bit funny one time after it sat still for 3 or 4 minutes. I am still suspect of bad connections to U9. I may just find a way to secure the board and use 2 ribbon cables to permanently mount this thing.

OK - final update. I took the time to modify my second drive, and the mod is 100% stable. At this point, I don't know what was wrong with the other drive, nor do I really care. I will restore it to it's original condition, that is to say put the US Doubler back in it, and use it as a spare drive.

OK - here's a video I posted for a few guys on IRC. It shows how fast a double density (180kB) disk can be copied. Seems to be about 18kB/sec read speed, and almost the same for writing (this is with verify turned off). Please excuse any dust, this is a WIP (my desk and the drive :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd2v5XmCHxE

• Like 5

OK - here's a video I posted for a few guys on IRC. It shows how fast a double density (180kB) disk can be copied. Seems to be about 18kB/sec read speed, and almost the same for writing (this is with verify turned off). Please excuse any dust, this is a WIP (my desk and the drive :) )

Cool, I bet that's a big relief :)

That fast copy reminds me of LockSmith Fastcopy I had on my Apple //c in 1990. That was that fast too.

Only misleading of Speedy copy is, that the data is not transferred from the drive to the atari and back. This is a copy process within the drive/upgrade hardware.

I like that a lot, but since I never copy disks anymore, this is not something I really need. (But I admit: it is AMAZING!)

OK - final update. I took the time to modify my second drive, and the mod is 100% stable.

Glad you finally got it working!

At this point, I don't know what was wrong with the other drive, nor do I really care. I will restore it to it's original condition, that is to say put the US Doubler back in it, and use it as a spare drive.

Since you mostly ruled out bad contacts on the CPU socket being the problem the next thing would be to check the +5V power rail with a scope.

The 1050 power supply is a huge PITA and I had more than one 1050 fail with a power supply related issue. If you see some excessive ripple on the +5V rail or see that it drops down from +5V after a while have a closer look at the whole power supply circuit.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

I don't think I'm going to regret that, since I have already so many upgraded diskdrives here.

But I think you will...

This is not just another floppy upgrade - this is the best floppy upgrade ever!

So, better reconsider :)

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 1

But I think you will...

This is not just another floppy upgrade - this is the best floppy upgrade ever!

So, better reconsider :)

Let's summarize what I post before.

I have just counted my store

I have 68 1050 diskdrives; at least 9 of these are upgrade with happy, happy clones and US doubler.

I have 21 XF551 diskdrives; 4 of them are upgraded with the hyper XF

And then...

I have 12 MyIDE 2 interfaces, 6 MyIDE 1 interfaces, 10 IDE+ 2.0 interfaces, 5 BlackBoxes, 2 SIDE 2 interfaces, a zillion SIC carts, 10x The!Cart, around 15 Ultimate 1MB upgrades, 5 320XE memory expansions, 5x Turbo Freezer 2011, 5x Sio2SD (2x Lotharek with case), 3x Sio2IDE, 7x Abbuc-RAF Sio2USB.... and now 5x SysCheck II.

Unlimited Atari 800XL, 600XL, 800XE, 65XE, 130XE, 5x Atari XEGS, 4x Atari 800, and 1x Atari 400...,

But in use:

1x Stock atari 800XL (64k!) with Turbo Freezer (gives me 576K XL) and SysCheck 2 for external OS

1x MyIDE 2

1x Sio2SD

1x stock 1050 diskdrive

And I can do ANYTHING I want, and I have never the feeling I need anything more Atari 8bit stuff before the year 3079.

I have seriously not the feeling that i'm going to regret that I am not buying this upgrade.

I repeat: the upgrade is awesome. Guus and Matthias did a absolute stunning job on this great interface add-on. But I realized I will never use it. My other stuff is probably used in the future, but although I have plenty of upgraded diskdrives, I'm only using my stock 1050. If I needed an upgraded hi-speed drive, I would use them already.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1

I have 68 1050 diskdrives; at least 9 of these are upgrade with happy, happy clones and US doubler.

Did you buy out a local store or just collect these drives over the years?

Quite impressive, wish I had more storage space for more A8 stuff ;)

• Like 1

Hello atari8wares,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes you understand right, the PCB can be cut. Just between the encoder side and the holes for the optional switch, there's just enough room.

Then, next to the connector you can make a cut as well.

There will be a small part keeping the PCB together, but you can break that.

Next, solder wires to the PCB side of the flat-cable connector and also to the soldered in parts of the encoder.

One wire also has to go to the resistor, so the LED can work again.

The traces on the PCB run in such way that they won't be shorted by the cutting action.

My intention was to have some more room for cutting.

But then the PCB needed to be bigger than 50mm and that was more expensive at iTead-Studio.

Like it is now, it will just about go. Not very neat, but operational.

BR/

Guus

And then...

I have 12 MyIDE 2 interfaces, 6 MyIDE 1 interfaces, 10 IDE+ 2.0 interfaces, 5 BlackBoxes, 2 SIDE 2 interfaces, a zillion SIC carts, 10x The!Cart, around 15 Ultimate 1MB upgrades, 5 320XE memory expansions, 5x Turbo Freezer 2011, 5x Sio2SD (2x Lotharek with case), 3x Sio2IDE, 7x Abbuc-RAF Sio2USB.... and now 5x SysCheck II.

Unlimited Atari 800XL, 600XL, 800XE, 65XE, 130XE, 5x Atari XEGS, 4x Atari 800, and 1x Atari 400...,

Ok, I demand a picture of all these things together!

My intention was to have some more room for cutting.

But then the PCB needed to be bigger than 50mm and that was more expensive at iTead-Studio.

Like it is now, it will just about go. Not very neat, but operational.

Is the encoder and display required to operate the upgrade? Can we just leave it disconnected? I certainly don't need a track display - if I ever feel the urge I'll dust off a Rana or Indus :)

Ha! No pictures. I have stored it in several places (just in case my house burns down in case of fire I have several packages to continue this brilliant hobby). I even hired a local mini-storage where I have stored a lot of stuff.

I have been collecting this stuff for YEARS and yes... it's quite idiot. I have far too much, but I can not get rid of it, I'm too fond of it. Atari (especially Atari 8bit) is so much fun. I really love it. But I admit it, i'm crazy about this. Really crazy... but hey... it's better to be crazy about atari than anything else right?!

• Like 1

Nice inventory.

You are mising SIO2BT ;-)

That is right, and indeed... that is something I actually would use. But can I buy those complete build, or do I have to solder them myself? If you do sell them, built and tested, please contact me... I'm absolutely interested in that!

A "track buffer" -- on steroids!