IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

Installed in less than 30 mins taking time. We are up and running! Loving the ability to swap between ROM types and love the track display. 

Now to spend some time thinking about options for mounting on front. I feel a few mods coming up ?

IMG_7606.jpeg

IMG_7607.jpeg

• Like 3

Any idea on price as yet?

I might be (am) keen, if the price is in dollars let me know if it's US or AUS dollars with shipping to the UK..

Always wanted one, but I actually have no real use for it but I just love the all in one thing of it..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hello Paul

Duddie is also working on getting a small (100 items) production run done.  And he's looking at improving the selector knob.  Not sure when he'll be able to sell them, but maybe by that time...

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

half yearly car tax??? I thought the almighty VAT was suppose to eliminate all others and take care of everything... so it's stacked taxing across the board now... double taxation or more?

hidden, excise, VAT etc etc..

Hope you gather enough to make it.

Sadly we still have different taxes, car tax can be paid for the year or half yearly, there's a small incentive to pay for the year but (a few pounds cheaper) but I don't have the luxury of savings etc so everything is done as and when it can be afforded. I'll get the tax but it's all scrimp and save, no different than a lot of the population around me. The car is so important for many reasons.

Still, I just won £6.07 on the euromillions lottery, so I'm getting there :)

And thanks for the heads up Mathy, appreciated, as said, it would be a treat, with treats not being top of my list of essentials :) I'll have to see how the old pocket is holding up :)

On 5/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, macsonny said:

Installed in less than 30 mins taking time. We are up and running! Loving the ability to swap between ROM types and love the track display. 

Now to spend some time thinking about options for mounting on front. I feel a few mods coming up ?

Salivating in anticipation… and I haven’t even unpacked my Atari collection yet!

5 hours ago, Quantum Mechanic said:

Salivating in anticipation… and I haven’t even unpacked my Atari collection yet!

I have already ordered parts and found a way to make it look good without major front panel modifications.

Give me a few days and I'll have a few photos up for people to consider....

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 1:57 AM, macsonny said:

Hi Guus,

You really are such an amazing person to support bringing this project back to life. Thank you.

I initially plan on building up 5 units. I have worked on surface mount components a lot in the past so reasonably confident I'll be able to build these circuit cards up. I've sent you details to purchase 5 sets of components from you. 

I'm hoping you will be able to pre-flash the ICs before sending as I don't want to have to purchase a programmer if I don't need to.

Thanks again.

Sonny

If you decide to make a few please drop me a pm, I would be interested in several..

15 minutes ago, joe r said:

If you decide to make a few please drop me a pm, I would be interested in several..

The easiest way is for you to keep an eye on the thread, he'll announce when ready and possibly do a pre-order thread or just take this thread and put people in the order they showed interest, either way it's easier than trying to track multiple PM's

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hello Macsonny,

Did you already try to set the MegaSpeedy to the Mega Speedy mode and then boot with the disk-latch open?

It gets you a menu and the possibility to copy disk really fast.

ABBUC uses this to copy the magazine on disk.

And maybe a bit obsolete, but with a very small interface the turbo 1050 has an interface for a centronics printer.

All of this is in the user manual.....

BR/

Guus

see the power switch? Put the track display there..

see the power LED? Put a Lighted Push button there, it will light up when push button is in the on position...

see the knob? it was a combination knob, push button with led light and can be placed nearly anywhere.

the LED's in switches and push buttons can be multi color as well, most commonly the tri color variety red / orange / green... you can use them to indicate other things like write protect etc...

the drive will look damn near factory, very slick

Edited by _The Doctor__

posted in the 1050 track display but relevant in this one as well...

there are 3d extruder and resin based printer files to print bezels for these drives, no need to hack up the originals... some are posted on AA as well... some are floating around with places for updates such as these as well. A number of members here do professional quality files and even provide prints.

24 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

posted in the 1050 track display but relevant in this one as well...

there are 3d extruder and resin based printer files to print bezels for these drives, no need to hack up the originals... some are posted on AA as well...

No point in having the original bezel sit in a drawer forever if the mod isn't likely to be removed.  Might as well hack away.

• Like 1

You can make it look anyway you like, there are many options that keep it looking nice. If you want to go for the steam punk look, the hack and slash look, the melted mess look, it's all up to you. Efforts to make it slick, professional or to preserve the value of things should a person later decide to sell it, move mods or whatever is entirely up to the owner.

YMMV

A little off topic, but what's the deal with magnetic media (/devices) and loudspeakers? I've always steered clear of having them in close proximity, but never been certain if I was being wise or over cautious.

22 minutes ago, E474 said:

A little off topic, but what's the deal with magnetic media (/devices) and loudspeakers? I've always steered clear of having them in close proximity, but never been certain if I was being wise or over cautious.

It's a shielded speaker, so no issue, not exactly a 15" sub....

Edited by mistapaul

Hallo Doc, guys

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

see the power switch? Put the track display there..

see the power LED? Put a Lighted Push button there, it will light up when push button is in the on position...

Since the track display lights up when you switch on the drive, you don't need anything else to indicate that the drive is on.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1