IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

Hi!

Regretfully this page http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/HighSpeed_en doesn't mention which caps to cut on the 600XL. By comparing the 600XL and 800XL schematics: it's C89 and C90.

Yes, C89 and C90 are correct for the 600XL.

About the resistor: should it be installed on the computer and 1050(s) ? or just on one side ?

Also...the text says:

The only important thing is to add 4k7 ohm resistor (if you do not have one already)[/size]

What does the "if you do not have one already" mean ? Does it mean that some computers/devices (1050's) had them factory installed ?

This applys only to the SIO2SD, not the 1050s. Newer versions of the SIO2SD might already have this resistor installed, so you don't need it then. Older versions needed it, and yet older versions also required you to add a diode on the data-in line so you could actually use the SIO2SD together with other SIO devices.

so long,

Hias

Hello again, here's an update.

For more information on the Mega-Speedy have a look at this website: http://www.realdos.net/

And more information will follow.

Today I've been working on documenting the various modes and also on how the display may be mounted.

For those not willing to make holes in the plastic housing, there's 2 options, no display or the display in front.

More pictures will be available soon on Steve's site.

BR/

Guus Assmann

post-14026-0-48537800-1416165230_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-40738900-1416165320_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-51698300-1416165439_thumb.jpg

post-14026-0-43308900-1416165479_thumb.jpg

Edited by guus.assmann
  • Like 2

Hello all,

The first big bill from the manufacturer has been payed and the production of 100 PCB's will commence.

Unfortunately, this part of the production is done somewhere in China.

They will produce the PCB's and mount a lot of parts, but not all.

The PCB price is really low and the quality is good. The assembly cost is also quite good.

(To be precise, main PCB is $165, display is $45 and assembly is $375 + $60 for a stencil needed to apply the solder.)

Mind you, these prices do not include the parts cost !

Reason for not having them mount all parts is related to their cost. I've managed to aquire the Ram chips and the 65C02 from another source at a quite good price.

And the Flash-Roms, displays and rotary encoder, connectors and ribbon cable all come from other sources.

I've just been finding the best possible prices.

Back to the China production:

Once it's finished, they will send the product to me.

And the shipment may end up in a customs office..... Then, maybe tax has to be payed. Probably import tax and VAT.

The import tax I don't have a clue, but the VAT is 21% over the total sum e.g. ((cost + shipment) x import duties) x 21%

So we need to await this step, before I can determine the final price.

And of course there's some more cost, like prototyping, shipment of parts and a small profit for the ABBUC club. Also we need to make a reservation for warranty.

Another unpleasant surprise may be the cost of shipment.

I will try to work something out in shipping larger amounts at once and have them distributed from there.

But this is quite a logistics puzzle.

So I also have to figure out a good balance here.

It's a nice challenge.

And now you've got a peek into the kitchen of manufacturing a product.

BR/

Guus

• Like 5

The value added to a product by or with a business is the sale price charged to its customer, minus the cost of materials and other taxable inputs including manufacturing. So if you write off parts manufacturing etc. and then report your hobby income the V.A.T. should be much less.

VAT does not normally apply until you sell a product, as far as I was made aware they can not V.A.T. you twice. next time you might consider drop shipping it to some one who you trust who does not have to pay the tax.... I have had people do this sort of thing for me and it sure helps big time

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Here's some documentation of the Mega Speedy.

The Zip contains the schematic diagram of both the main PCB and the display.

Also, 3 diagrams on how to connect switches for fast selection of the configuration.

The production is in progress. I hope to be informed soon.

In the mean time, if there's any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

And I have a question as well.

Does anyone know where to find the owner of the rights to the Happy firmware?

It would be very helpfull if we can get official permission to include the Happy firmware in the Mega Speedy flash-rom.

BR/

Guus

MEGA Speedy schematics and documentation.zip

• Like 4

I've never experienced such a problem, but I also don't have the Atarimax upgrade. Better contact Steve Tucker from Atarimax about this issue.

The Mega Speedy has a reset button on the display PCB, this will reset both the 1050 and the Mega Speedy. Resetting the Mega Speedy brings it back into the config mode, so you can easily change drive modes without having to powercycle the drive.

Haven't tried this exact mod, but this should do it.

so long,

Hias

This is my 1050 drive reset. I designed this reset button when I needed to take my happy 1050 out of slow down mode. I later found it to be useful with the 1050 Duplicator, Super Archiver with Bit Board. It is a very simple upgrade that no 1050 should be without. The Mega Speedy also has a reset button on its display board.

I have added several web pages to my web site for the Mega Speedy. Guus I know I am a beta Tester but who else is bet Testers. I have been working with the Pre-Series Mega Speedy and by far this is the most complete and powerful 1050 upgrade I have ever used. It is so powerful I contacted my friend Jim Patchell to see if he would allow the Mega Speedy Project to use the Duplicator Firmware and Software. I have the photo art work and was planning on doing another board run when I ran into the mega speedy project. Once I review the mega Speedy project I was certain that there 1050 upgrade was much better that what I was planning. you can reach my web site.

http://www.realdos.net/megaspeedy.html

Enjoy!

Stephen J. Carden

Hello again, here's an update.

For more information on the Mega-Speedy have a look at this website: http://www.realdos.net/

And more information will follow.

Today I've been working on documenting the various modes and also on how the display may be mounted.

For those not willing to make holes in the plastic housing, there's 2 options, no display or the display in front.

More pictures will be available soon on Steve's site.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Thanks Guus! Guus has shipped me one of the pre-Series Mega Speedy Boards which is different than the drive I have been testing with. I have taken a lot of pictures so that the install process will be easy. I have not finished with the display mount yet. As soon as I get the package and install it I will update my pictures.

http://www.realdos.net/megaspeedy.html

This is a 1050 drive upgrade you do not want to miss out on!

Edited by Stephen J. Carden

I have a pre-production kit as well. I have installed it using the docs on your website. It works great and I've been experimenting with it a bit. I don't understand all of it yet but so far it hasn't been too difficult.

Love it so far, definitly a great enhancement over the Happy I've been using until now, although that didn't suck either.

I have had no previous experience with any other drive upgrades apart from the Happy so gotta learn about them......the (Mega) Speedy mode seems superior so far, love how it already indicates things like non formatted discs and floppy failures on the track display right when you put in a disk.

Hello All! I have been one of the Beta Testers for this Mega Speedy. I have US Doublers, Happy 1050 with Controler Boards, Super Archiver with Bit Writters, 1050 Duplicator. But this Mega Speedy is all of that and More. If you only have 1 1050 and want a upgrade this is the upgrade for you. It can also have firmware written for it and uploaded to it. That is really cool since you can from your atari flash an upgrade to it. Also Guus is doing his best to provide a very High Quility Upgrade at the lowest proce he can sell it. Happy 1050 were 149.00 US Dollars when they were sold. Guus is going to be selling this drive upgrade for about what the US Doubler Cost from ICD. and the sky is the only limmit to what can be programmed into the Mega Speedy. I have a Prototype Mega Speedy and now I have my Pre-Production Mega Speedy and I am really impressed with the printed circute board and how well Guus solders. I have been putting the install directions for the mega speedy install as well as general instructions. I was also able to get permission for Guus and the Mega Speedy project to be shipped with the 1050 Duplicator Firmware and all Duplicator Software to be use free of charge. Most of you know I do a little hardware and I also program. But I have been having a blast with the Mega Speedy being able to do it all! This drive Upgrade would be a bargin at $200.00 US Dollars! But there are only going to be 100 Built for sale so get your order reserved soon or you will lose out.

Take Care and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

• Like 2

Does anybody already have the pre-production track display PCB installed on the bezel of the drive ? I am asking because I am really puzzled how I could install this both in a clear visible _and_ controllable way... The PCB is a bit "unluckily" designed IMHO. I can't find a good position where I can install it in the flat part, it won't fit.

So the only other option is the angled down area but of course this makes reading the digits a bit harder (not the worst problem) but I am worried about using the dial and reset button. You'll be using it a lot...

The dial knob is on the lowest part of the PCB and the PCB is relatively "high" for this angled area...the part where the connector is on the top might hit the flat part of the inside of the bezel by the looks of it...and on the other hand, the knob of the rotary dial might hit the table where you put the drive on because it's pretty long.

I'm a bit scared to start making holes in the bezel and ending up making the wrong one's....

To make things worse my 1050 already had a write-enable switch and LED from BITD and it's surely not an uncommon thing to be on 1050's...

Edited by Level42

O well.......I just went for it.

It became very clear to me that mounting it in the down-sloped part of the bezel is not possible .....well not usable.

I really needed a "flat" part, like that where the power switch and LED are.

I had already drilled the holes for the rotary switch and reset button and I already had moved the write-protect switch (which later turned out not necessary but already too late.....)

So I decided to make two more cuts left and right from the PCB area up to the angle of the bezel. Then I heated that part of the bezel from both sides using a gas soldering iron (moving the gas outlet up and down the area quickly, not with the iron itself of course) and then bent out that part of the bezel.

All in all a good idea but I'm just not a very handy guy when it comes to "mechanical" stuff.

This is how it looks now...

Some issues: I can't push the reset button like it is now....it is too low compared to the rotary switch. I think the production series will need this to be solved.

I am also thinking about putting a bit of dark plexi glass in front of the 7 segment/LEDs section.

post-25272-0-18575200-1417969536_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-03207700-1417969548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42

With limited production runs I think it's just for the well off and collectors only, I was really happy to see what would be an end all be all drive solution for the 1050.... Really awesome work like this would be cool if it were within reach of the masses....

I am glad it is being done... maybe someday a mass production from Atarimax or that place in the U.K. or both will make that possible.

Are these currently available to order or are you beta tester types just making the rest of us jealous?

No, the idea is that a relatively "noob" user like me acts as a Guinnea pig to see if the instructions are clear enough and if we can get it to work using these instructions.

I've been doing quite some testing tonight, have flashed both the flasher program and the CONFIG succesfully.

So far, it is working fabulously.

I am reporting feedback to Guus soon.

Hello All,

Level 42 is partly right.

Although I didn't consider him a "noob" but rather a very good Guinnea Pig.

And yes, it will be available in some mass.

There's a series of 100 pieces in the works. The PCB's have been ordered and payed for.

Once I have them, some work will have to be done to them. I'll make sure to post some pictures.

Also, why make a lot of documentation if it's not going to be available. It's most certainly no vapourware.

As for docs, I've made a block diagram to explain a bit of how it works and included a bit of text.

Maybe, if demand is really big, another series is feasable. Or we might consider another way.

It will most likely be hard to beat the price though.

BR/

Guus

Connections.PDF

Mega Speedy block diagram.doc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...