IGNORED

Mega Speedy, the ultimate 1050 upgrade. Intrest assesment.

guus.assmann

This looks cool, Can have Happy and US Doubler in one drive. Full Double Density Support.

Once you tried Mega Speedy setting, you'll forget about Happy ;);)

One feature I forgot to include in the video that in the (Mega) Speedy setting, if you insert an unformatted disc the track-indicator will immediatly indicate that (forgot the letter code) and also if the first track is unreadable it will indicate it and beep the on-board beeper.

One thing I noticed about Copy2000: (hadn't discovered this tool before)....when you set the program to format the destination floppy, it starts the formatting while the computer is reading the data from the source drive ! This is very clever as the formatting task is mainly handled by the drive itself so the computer doesn't have to bother (much) about it and saves a lot of time.

Don't think this is something special for the Mega Speedy but I noticed it happening and I kinda was startled by it the first time it happened as I thought I had set the source and destination drive incorrectly because it began spinning while I expected the source (-AspeQT on my PC laptop) to be "active" and not the 1050.

Hello Audronic,

The production series is still being made.

And as long as I don't hold the PCB's, I cannot calculate an exact price. Sorry for that.

There can be a 21% VAT claim and some import duties on 50% of the total cost.

However, the device will most likely cost less than $75.

Shipment to Australia would be about $25 to $30.

BR/

Guus Assmann

Hello All,

On the topic of what will be in the standard shipment, have a look at Steve's website.

All of the available information can be found trough there.

But it's quite easy to add firmware to the MegaSpeedy. It has an on-board flasher.

So if you have firmware from a speeder that's supported but not in the standard delivery, you can add it yourself.

BR/

Guus Assmann

I believe what is generating more interest is that this will allow people to select different control logics without needing a different disk drive for each one. I have 2 1050 disk drives, but only one works. Think the circuit board on the other got fried because it sat in a basement for 10 years and flooded once. The other one has the Happy enhancement on it.

Hello All,

The reactions in this tread are not the only ones. There's also the German ABBUC.

And they help me finance the whole thing.

Right now, I'm still waiting for the production run that's on in China.

It should have been ready by now, but I've got no reply yet.

So 100 pieces may be a little short anyway.

This may be remidied, I don't know yet.

(Unfortunately, our money hungry gouvernments don't see any cause whatsoever to be more linient with tax.)

As for mounting the part, there's a bit of good news.

A lot of the functionality can be had without any soldering or cutting.

All you need to do is remove 3 IC's from the sockets and plug the unit in the socket that held the 6507 processor.

The Archiver will not work then and you'll miss the slowdown of rotation speed.

The display cable will fit below the drive unit and doesn't really need to be mounted.

Sure it will not look as nice as it can. But you'll also not damage the 1050 and will be able to restore it to it's original state. (But you won't ever want to)

All other cool stuff will still work, like the 1 go copy of a disk, the flashing and also being able to write your own OS if you like.

No soldering required for that either :-)

BR/

Guus

Hello farago,

Just keep looking at this website / tread.

Right now, we're still waiting for the producer in China to let me know the subassemblies are on their way.

Once I have the boards, I'll calculate the final price.

Then I'll have to do some soldering and testing.

Somewhere near the end of January or the beginning of February is the current expactation.

The briljant Idea about the 3D-Printer has been passed on to someone who owns such a printer.

And I hope he can be persuaded to "chip in" for this project.

Right now, many people are celibrating Chrismas, so they have other important things to do.....

BR/

Guus Assmann

• Like 1