IGNORED

Move along folks, nothing to see here!

Irgendwer

thanks emkay

interleaved meaning something like page flipping, maybe..?

thx

Page Flipping is what you'd need for interlace, as in technical terms "interlace" means to have two pictures shown, one after the other, with a half scanline offset. It's one frame , one page, just interleaved gr. 10 and gr.9 , line by line.

An additional feature to enhance some images would be the possibility to set tha base colour for gr.9 :D

But usage would be more complicated: Thanks to PAL mixing you would loose most colors and selected colours would appear - ehm - mixed. (Select red as base colour for 9, applying green for a register then would result in brown/yellow.)

I can add that to the list of wishes anyway...

Edited by Irgendwer

Maybe this is an interesting possibility for coding a game with '16-bit style':

(1) Graphics 9 and 10 GTIA modes can be used within ANTIC graphics 0 mode as well

(2) Multiple character fonts switching each 8 scanlines (Xuel & popmilo)

(3) One AUDF volume only voice: bass / base drums / real violin string chords

(4) Real time 50 Hz scrolling in 8 directions

Function (1) and (3) can be combined with PoKey IRQ timing and digi samples. Still 3 other PoKey voices free to use.

Disadvantage: PM + gr9 + gr10 is clumsy.

Other people with ideas here?

• Like 1

Disadvantage: PM + gr9 + gr10 is clumsy.

Other people with ideas here?

The "clumsy" graphics were not the problem. When using such a low resolution, the 6502 has even less to do, and memory usage is also getting lower. "Strictly Gone Bananas" uses only 9 colours and everything looks fine. You have the better recognition due to the continously running animations in the graphics.

(1) Graphics 9 and 10 GTIA modes can be used within ANTIC graphics 0 mode as well

(2) Multiple character fonts switching each 8 scanlines (Xuel & popmilo)

(1) + (2) works fine, I did it in my intro No Signal. There is virtually no time left in the line where Antic reads character data though, so IRQs for mode switching and colours would be harder to utilise. Possibly an unrolled loop optimised for different amounts of ticks in different lines would do better. Horizontal scrolling makes it even worse (48 chars being read at once).

Best,

pirx

(1) + (2) works fine, I did it in my intro No Signal. There is virtually no time left in the line where Antic reads character data though, so IRQs for mode switching and colours would be harder to utilise. Possibly an unrolled loop optimised for different amounts of ticks in different lines would do better. Horizontal scrolling makes it even worse (48 chars being read at once).

Thanks.

Maybe it's easier only using even scanlines for antic 4 characterset refresh, odd scanlines for PoKey interrupt for one AUDF sample voice. Of course using the custom IRQ handler, which is not slower w.r.t. DLIs. But of course you could use DLI instead of IRQ.

See here by the way:

The gtia gfx 9 / 10 switching can be managed similarly.

Edited by analmux
  • Like 2

What did you have in mind with '16-bit style' ?

ps. I agree that something interesting could be made using this graphics mode. There is plenty of cpu time outside main screen region to do lots of cool stuff... (and not all games need to run at 50fps ;) ).

Suddenly got this working in Firefox... not sure what the problem was first time around. Great tool. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Next version contains an adaptation, so that the right click should work in other browsers too.

anyway, very nice work, do you plan to publish it somewhere online?

I'm quite surprised you did so nice manual, it must took some serious time...

I think publishing the converter here is sufficient... ?

And yes, the manual took about 1.5 days, but - like said - I regard it as essential since the operation is not that intuitive (but handy).

(BTW: If any native speaker likes to improve the manual - please do. I think there are lots of language violations to find.)

Thanks to

http://www.udo-open-source.org/index.php?lan=en

(a project where I also contributed 15 years ago) at least the formatting was quite easy.

Updated version will arrive in about two weeks.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 3

You then have the penalty, that you have to switch all colour registers from even to odd lines to have the same kind of effect. So typical CPU load is higher and further colour changes of registers difficult to accomplish - unless you keep your four greys for 15 and 10 static (leaving 5 registers for colours).

Further discussions of this kind please in the 'Nothing to see here' - thread.

Done ;)

The idea is to have pictures using 9 colours per scanline. In gr. 10 you can set the pixels 704-712 by bitmap. In that line preparations for the next line could be done. Adjusting the PMg to enhance the gr. 15 line.

Can I ask what I should do to ensure that I don't have too many colour changes per line?

Other than manually counting them, is there a "best way" of avoiding too many colour changes? I know that the product doesn't do it yet, but if I can avoid too many manually, I will.

I want to avoid the corrupted output.

• 2 years later...

Irgend, for the game I am developping I need to show a multicolor map in 160x192 (JAG ok), with 4 Players on top.

However, JAG seems to hack into the PM code to cover-up the left/right sides of the screen, which means they are not available for player drawing.

Is there any way round this?

Irgend, for the game I am developping I need to show a multicolor map in 160x192 (JAG ok), with 4 Players on top.

However, JAG seems to hack into the PM code to cover-up the left/right sides of the screen, which means they are not available for player drawing.

Is there any way round this?

8bit-Du, you can of course remove the provoked priority clash and free the used PMG objects (just inspect the assembler output). But putting PMGs on top of such an image is not trivial:

All colour registers are typically in use, so you aren't able to have individual colours for the PMGs.

The priority of the PMG objects also affects identical coloured play-field areas, which requires solid planning of colour and PMG assignments as well as the level layout/design.